Are you in too deep the system?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lamarak, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Lamarak macrumors 6502

i will be looking forward to the new iphone, Ill be coming form the iphone 4 that I will be able to sell unlocked. But admit Im deep into the eco system of itunes, apps and such. Ive seen the galaxy three and its a great phone but I have just to much invested through digital copies of movies, apps that I use for school. Heck even my credit card give me almost 25$ itunes card every other month for my purchases.

HOw much does your decision is based not only on the phone but what you have into the eco system of apple. What would it take Apple to make you give up things that you could not use anywhere else?

Me, tomorrow about the only thing that would make me really think of just saying goodbye to my ties would be no LTE or bigger screen.

2. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I'm pretty deep. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't part of what's keeping me on the iPhone. Not that I'm unhappy in any way.

3. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

yes I was in deep, I have a few hundred dollars in apps at least, almost all the good expensive ones. Plus Ipad, and macbook pro and all of the cables and such.......

However, I couldn't take the stale small phone anymore, I got the GS3 on VZW and have unlimited LTE and love the freedom of android, and jellybean is pretty sweet also.

I may go iphone again, if they blow me away... but my apps will always be there for me should I come back...

just pull the band aid of quickly, you wont regret it.

4. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

100% eco system and that's not a bad thing. I love the apple ecosystem and it allows me to get the most out of my gadgets and desktops.

5. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I get that feeling of being locked into an ecosystem often. But what Google did with the Nexus 7 was pretty brilliant – they gave you $25 in the Play Store when you bought one. I was able to buy essentially all the apps I use on iOS on Android for "free". If I chose to go to Android, I wouldn't really be hurting.

Though I would miss iMessage. Working in a basement for a year with no cell service makes a service like iMessage indispensable.

6. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

I'm in deep, but I don't see that as a bad thing. I made a conscious decision a year ago to go all-Apple (Mac, iPhone, iPad) knowing that they play nicely together due to the rich ecosystem.

Any time I've even remotely thought about looking into other phones I think about what a hassle it will be to give up iCloud features that keep all of my devices on the same page (Photostream, Contacts, Messages, etc).

7. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

I'm definitely in too deep to switch. I love my iDevices, but sometimes I wonder what other phones/tablets are like (but definitely wouldn't go back to Windows). I have to say that having everything integrated perfectly keeps me from checking out other options.

8. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

Being in deep helped keep me in for the 4S but not this time. Wife has a 4S and loves it, son has a 4, have two touches and 2 ipads. I have enough other stuff around to keep using the iTunes stuff.

I doubt i'll be staying this time.

9. alent1234 macrumors 603

i'll buy cartoons on itunes, but movies is only on blu ray

10. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

I'm in too deep. And it's not even the fact that I have a rMbp, iPad, iPhone... it's solely the apps.

My favorite games are only on iOS, and my friends that I play them with are on iOS. I wouldn't want to pay for an app twice even if it was on one of the android app stores. It just doesn't make sense to me to switch at this point because of the investment in solely the apps. There are other reasons, but this is the main one that keeps me around.

11. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

KIK, Whatsapp, Facebook Messenger, VOXER,ch@t. All very similar services. But i get that iMessage being baked into the OS is what makes it easier to use.

12. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

No such thing as too deep for my needs, but I like where I and don't intend to leave for MSFT, and especially not Google.

Also, almost everyone has been locked into a Window's ecosystem at some point in life and it was never a big deal, just came with the territory.

I don't see anything concerning or scandalous about being in an Apple ecosystem.

13. chokem macrumors 6502

Me too. I'll admit it. I've been on iDevices for three years now, and I think it would be a major hassle to go to another platform. The ecosystem works for me and I'm very comfortable with it.

14. alent1234 macrumors 603

most of the most popular apps are on android as well. in some cases the android version is better

iOS rules in games

15. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I definitely know of the alternatives, but going from iOS to the Mac, iMessage is very seamless (especially once they link AppleIDs in iOS6). I would probably be more inclined if Kik or Facebook had desktop messengers (outside of Adium for the latter).

16. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I don't see it as in too deep. Owning a lot of Mac hardware, software and apps is simply part of the experience.

I also own a lot of Windows hardware, software and as soon as I my Lumia 920 arrives... I'll have lots of Windows 8 apps.

You wanna play? You gotta pay!

It's as simple as that.

Nothing is going to chain me down to one platform :)

17. McBeats macrumors 6502a

I'm in too deep for now... I WILL be getting the i5, but 2 years from now it's possible I'll be switching to something else.

18. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I tried a S3 a while back, but it was too annoying being out of the ecosystem. My iPad, MBP, iPhone all work so well together. It was hard adding an Android device. Plus the screen on the iPhone was much better quality (colors mainly). A 4" screen with current screen ratio would be perfect.

----------

You must not sync things much between devices (contacts, calendars, music, podcasts, notes...). If each device more or less lives independently, then yeah, I guess ecosystem is not a big deal. It doesn't seem like you use an ecosystem.

19. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

100% sucked into the ecosystem.

I'm at the point now where the iPhone does everything I want/need. All the additions are just added gravy. I'm sure the new Android phones are awesome and provide their users a great experience. I'm not bashing anyone. For my money, I'm happy where I'm at and the direction Apple continues to take me.

20. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Same here. I've been using both for years. For me, I go with the one that fits best.

@OP you can save everything to a disc and upload to any device. I have old videos I purchased from iTunes way back. The store doesn't recognize them. I feel comfortable cause I don't share them, but I can carry the music and videos to my next gadget.

21. Chief Oddball macrumors regular

Speaking of living independently, that basically describes me. With the exception of Dropbox, all of my devices are basically independent. To be honest, I kinda like it that way. I guess I'm old school -- I manage my music library via carefully-kept filenames and folder structure. I like to put stuff on mobile devices by copying it through the filesystem like I would put a zipfile on a thumb drive. I use Windows and Linux desktops at work and at home.

I sound like a perfect candidate for Android, but I still prefer iOS for all of my mobile devices. Although iCloud is little more than an offsite backup for my contacts and notes and such, I find myself enjoying the polish and presentation of iOS -- as well as its selection of apps and games -- too much to be swayed by the admittedly very impressive hardware offerings of phones like the Galaxy S3. And, unlike my desktop machines, I want my phone to perform in a reliable and consistent way every time. I get that from iOS and the various iPhones I've used over the years. Not to be trite, but it just works -- for me.

And even were that not so, what with my wife being a total Apple fangirl who lives and breathes in the Apple ecosystem, I really wouldn't want the grief that I'd undoubtedly get for trying to escape. ;)

22. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Jelly Bean doesn't come out on the GS3 until October... Do you mean Ice Cream Sandwich? Or did you hack it?

I wish Jelly Bean would have been released before the new iPhone came out, so I could try it out before I return the GS3. Oh well, I will try it later. Maybe next year :D

------------------------

I am super invested in the Apple ecosystem, but I do not mind. I love my MBP, iPad, and iPhone and how well they work with my Apple TV which is connected to my Home Theater system. And I have a Zeppelin Air in my bedroom, I really enjoy using AirPlay.

I am currently using the GS3, and for all the things I like about it (mainly that it is different and its nice to have something else sometimes). There are a lot of things that drive me nuts about it.

With ICS, it is pretty smooth (SOO much better than Gingerbread), but it is not as smooth as iOS (even with all of its power). Small things that should be so easy on the phone, become a huge pain. I dont like the keyboard, and the swipe feature is nice but it can be SUPER unreliable.

I miss using AirPlay, and I only use my work phone for AudioBooks. I miss iCloud Features.

23. wharzhee macrumors 6502

24. ek9max macrumors regular

I'm too deep.... I have every current apple product.

25. Icaras, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012

Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Reading the replies from this thread, it's nice to know we honest fans do exist. :) I'm not exactly 100% deep in the eco system but getting very close to it. I only buy a blu-ray here and there that doesn't exist in iTunes (gotta have Star Wars!), and a game here and there on Steam that I think wouldn't hit iOS or OSX for years, if ever. But all new music, apps, books, TV shows, most of movies, and games if available, I buy from Apple.

I agree that the way in which Apple has designed their eco system and in the direction they are going with it makes me extremely content. As long as they continue to push for content from studios and developers and tie it all together with awesome hardware and iCloud, I don't see myself ever leaving the Apple ecosystem. Happy all around.