Are you jailbreaking?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NickPhamUK, Oct 14, 2013.

?

Are you jailbreaking?

1. Yes

75 vote(s)
    42.1%
  2. No

92 vote(s)
    51.7%
  3. Don't know/Have not decided yet

11 vote(s)
    6.2%
  1. NickPhamUK macrumors 6502

NickPhamUK

Once the toolkit is available.

I used to jailbreak a lot in the era of iOS 2, 3 and 4. I tried to jailbreak again on my iPhone 5 - mainly because I was fed up with 2 huge gray bars in the lockscreen which blocked my view of the wallpaper - but with the release of iOS 7, the problem is solved. As Apple is adding more and more stuff into the OS, I don't find the need to jailbreak anymore. (well, maybe I still want to have the tweak of showing avatars/small pictures in contact list/texts, but I can live without it).

2. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Only thing I would jailbreak for now is quick reply texting.

3. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

Jailbreaking appears to be dead now. You just don't hear anything about it in the news outlets anymore. I even ran into a app that requires iOS 7. Apple won this round.

4. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Absolutely not because I want to keep the software up-to-date and I don't see the needs of doing so :)

5. eyoungren, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

LOL!

Jailbreaking is dead. HA!

I'm jailbroken on iOS 6.1. I'm waiting for the iOS 7 jailbreak before I update to the PlaySkool-Fisher Price inspired iOS 7. Immediately after the jailbreak I will theme away the iOS 7 primary preschool color crap.

iOS 7 looks to have appropriated three or four jailbreak tweaks that I can see. That leaves about the 30 or so I have right now that iOS 7 does NOT have, like…no BiteSMS, no f.lux, no Activator, no on and on.

No, Jailbreaking isn't dead at all.

6. scotrinaf macrumors 6502

No need to jailbreak for me, I use the phone as a phone, for email, and looking things up on google, that's about the extent of it for me...

7. c613m macrumors 6502

c613m

Meh, jailbreaking is pretty much dead to me, and I've been jailbreaking since the original iPhone and every iteration. There's nothing I need from a jailbreak. I think a lot of people don't need a jailbreak anymore.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

YOU may not need it or want it. But I assure you, I DO.

There's a topic on this already in the jailbreak forums. You may wish to take a look in there. You may find your opinion challenged somewhat by others in there.

9. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

10. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

Just wait until an iOS 7 jailbreak is released and I think you'll see that jailbreaking is not dead. If/when it is released I will be jailbreaking for several tweaks, but mainly biteSMS and LockInfo.

11. lazard macrumors 65816

ROFL. You don't hear anything about it because there is no jailbreak yet.

12. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

yeap, will jailbreak, love the freedom it gives me, makes the iPhone whole and MINE.

----------

say what :confused:

13. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I'll be jailbreaking my 5S and iPad3 as soon as it is available. Specifically on the iPad, it is kind of ridiculous that you can only see 9 icons per page in a folder. I'll be downloading Infinifolder (I think it was called) and also resizing all of the icons. They are HUGE on the iPad. I also want to be able to place my icons wherever I want them. A quick reply SMS solution is also very welcome.

14. c613m macrumors 6502

c613m

Oh yeah I'm not taking that away from you. I'm sure there are others, but I'm no longer one of them. If I want an out-of date and customizable OS, I'll go to Android :)

I have all the features I need on iOS 7. Before, there were tons of reasons to jailbreak, but alas, times have changes and the iOS of today is more than enough for my mobile needs.

15. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

I will be jailbreaking for Activator and Insomnia. Rest of the tweaks have been taken care of by iOS 7.

16. itjw macrumors 65816

I've found the only people who DON'T like jailbreaking are the everyday users. The "nerds" (myself included), all jailbreak, and have pleanty of valid reasons too.

Fact is, the jailed iPhone does PLENTY to keep people satisfied en masse, just not everyone, and for those people jailbreaking will ALWAYS be something they'll want/do.

Personally I miss FakeClockUp (my wife is still puzzled as to why my phone seemed 3 times as fast as hers), PandoraDownloader, the cellular data bypasses (Come ON Amazon Prime), and the apps that can adjust the screen tint (effectively SOLVING the "my screen is too yellow" folks "problem", but also nice to screw around with).... F.Lux is cool too, along with the emulators... etc... the list goes ON AND ON...

The non-jailbroken model is fine. I can use it and not lose sleep.

But given the CHOICE, I will always be jailbroken. If it affects any apps I need, I simply will give it up. No biggie.

17. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

It's always like that when a major iOS update occurs. You'll see headlines like "iOS 7 update in progress; long work in progress" or 'iOS 7 jailbroken! -- Using insanely unstable exploits", but that's it. Then one tweet happens like, "iOS 7 jailbreak officially named 'we1rdname3'" then everyone goes nuts in the blogworld.

18. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I thought iOS7 would remove my needs to jailbreak but the animations are slow and music app is broken so I'm looking forward to a few tweaks.

19. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

What Activator gestures do you use? The only ones I consistently stuck with were Hold+Up-Volume to skip song and Hold+Down-Volume for previous song. God I miss that gesture when I'm out running or at the gym.

My eyes also miss f.lux. I also miss having BiteSMS....not necessarily for the quick-reply, but because I miss having contact pictures in my Messages list. It made it so much easier to find the right messages conversation.

Aside from that, those are the only things I miss about my jailbreak.

20. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

Yeah I wouldn't say jail breaking is anywhere near dead, but I don't do it anymore (not since my 4). I use my phone for work and corporate policy prohibits it, but I stopped before that.

The upside has gotten smaller and smaller with each iteration of iOS and the downside is always the same (waiting for releases, making your data vulnerable, making the phone unstable, etc).

21. Mr-Kerrse macrumors 6502

I don't bother with phones or Ipads but do want one for my ATV2 as been on the same version since the last untethered break ! So need 6.0 (iOS 7.0 - 11A470e) to be sorted

22. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Note, he emphasizes "to me." So he's not invalidating your opinion. Nor should you go invalidating his. This thread IS a poll, after all.

Back on topic: no plans on jailbreaking here. Though I have jailbroken phones for others, and will likely keep doing so if people ask me for help.

23. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

Same here, I would add SBSettings to the list, it's still better than the iOS 7 equivalent, more features and customisable.

24. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

No, can't think of a reason I'd want or need to.

25. xraytech macrumors 68020