Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vannibombonato

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2007
This is the dumbest justification for driving up prices ever. If we're talking about a way to ration needed items, I would agree. But we're talking about iPhones. $1149+$200 is steep enough. Adding to that is wholly unnecessary. But as long as people are dumb and willing to pay your dumb prices, you'll continue to do it. So it's a never ending thing.

Im genuinely fascinated.

1- You agree on scalping as a way to ration "needed" items, so that would mean that i.e. a life saving transplant would go to whoever is able to pay more, regardless of who truly needs it more. Brilliant, let's all vote for this guy!

2- Not happy with that, you decide that "$1149+$200 is steep enough". Based on what, Lord knows. Let me suggest that maybe you base your statement on the recently discovered universal truth that it's the price that's right for you, high enough to let you get your iPhone without having to mess with hundreds of millions of people that can't afford of it, but low enough so that YOU can afford it and don't end up exactly like those people that can't afford the iPhone at YOUR price exactly because people like YOU are willing to pay what THEY call "dumb prices".

I got a secret for you, we have introduced a few years ago something called free economy.
For everything that is not a "needed item" i've heard it's working pretty well at determining what is the right price for a given item. Especially for luxury, completely unneeded items just like a shiny iPhone X on launch day.

Smileyboy

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
I'm keeping it. Unless someone offers $2k :) Anything under that isn't worth it to me

Bootleg Gucci

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
NoVA
The resale market for iPhone X this year is flooded with way more listings on CL and eBay, as compared to last year's scarce Jet Black 7 Plus. In my area, there are already 400+ CL postings for 11/3 delivery of iPhone X 256GB and 6,000+ on eBay for 256GB, not even counting the 64GB. Last year, there were much fewer JB 7+ available for MONTHS which commanded a higher premium. I don't think reselling profits will be anywhere as high or easy as last year.

Reactions: bnekic

rkoshack

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
Selling extras to help pay for mine. :)

I try to do this every year and there’s nothing wrong with it. If someone is willing to pay a few hundred dollars more for it instead of waiting then you’re a fool if you don’t take it.

With the 7 plus last year I got launch day delivery. Listed it for $300 over retail and sold it right away. 2 days later I had one reserved in store for pickup and that one I kept for myself minus the $300 profit I made.

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
i plan to buy the X using credit card to take advantage of cash back. I plan to sell the X for a profit, wil i have to give the receipt as well to the buyer? I’m not sure how it works with credit card payments and receipts

CooKieMoNs7eR

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2009
They’re not even going for that high...a lot of them are selling for $1400 and that’s for the 256 gb so only $200 profit ?? Don’t forget eBay and PayPal fees...

Christian 5G

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2010
Orange County, CA
Bought 3, 2 for sale on craigslist and one for myself. The two I hope to get $700-800 profit and then sell my 6s as well and I pretty much have a free iPhone x. Whats so bad about this? I stayed up late.
[doublepost=1509512874][/doublepost]
I'll never understand the hate for scalpers. People who wanted the phone had the same opportunity to get it as the person selling it for a profit. This is a luxury item we are talking about!
I'm agreeing with you, we as scalpers still get someone happy for getting their device early. Maybe money don't matter to those people but only to show off for the first month.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
They’re not even going for that high...a lot of them are selling for $1400 and that’s for the 256 gb so only $200 profit ?? Don’t forget eBay and PayPal fees...

And that's what a lot of sellers don't consider, Is the eBay and PayPal fees are steep.

billycuth

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2010
Im genuinely fascinated.

1- You agree on scalping as a way to ration "needed" items, so that would mean that i.e. a life saving transplant would go to whoever is able to pay more, regardless of who truly needs it more. Brilliant, let's all vote for this guy!

2- Not happy with that, you decide that "$1149+$200 is steep enough". Based on what, Lord knows. Let me suggest that maybe you base your statement on the recently discovered universal truth that it's the price that's right for you, high enough to let you get your iPhone without having to mess with hundreds of millions of people that can't afford of it, but low enough so that YOU can afford it and don't end up exactly like those people that can't afford the iPhone at YOUR price exactly because people like YOU are willing to pay what THEY call "dumb prices".

I got a secret for you, we have introduced a few years ago something called free economy.
For everything that is not a "needed item" i've heard it's working pretty well at determining what is the right price for a given item. Especially for luxury, completely unneeded items just like a shiny iPhone X on launch day.
Don't conflate dumb with illegal. I said it's your right and people will still do it.

But it is dumb, and no amount of words on a screen coming from your fingers via your keyboard are going to change my opinion on that.

If everyone who wants the item could pay the MSRP, I believe we'd all be better off. I mean it's great that the efficient frontier works even when the manufacturer sets a ridiculous price for its product. And it's great that leaches like you can extract even more money out of poor suckers who have no self control. But at the end of the day, if people weren't leaches and people weren't suckers, we'd all be better off.

Sean76

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2013
NYC
People who are selling it make me want to puke! You're what's wrong with society these days. And like someone said, why on earth would anyone over pay for something that is only a few weeks to just wait for?

Regime2008

Suspended
Oct 3, 2017
Basshead in ATL
People who are selling it make me want to puke! You're what's wrong with society these days. And like someone said, why on earth would anyone over pay for something that is only a few weeks to just wait for?
Well it seems that there are behind plenty of people, throughout history, who have been nothing but happy with spending more than MSRP for devices, cars, jewellery, art, etc. I am selling mine because i have no use for the phone. It is the furthest thing from an upgrade for me, and if someone else wanted it, they could have purchased it, the same way i did. I was actually pretty late in purchasing mine, but I was still about to get two spots. I am not preventing anyone from purchasing the devices. Apple even said that there would be plenty of supply, so I do not understand your rant. This is a luxury device that no one NEEDS. It is not like this is water being sold, at a ridiculous markup, to victims of a hurricane. Most of the people who are mad at others for reselling the X, already have one on the way, so what's the big fuss? You even said it yourself, "why on earth would anyone over pay for something that is only a few weeks to just wait for?".

Sean76

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2013
NYC
Well it seems that there are behind plenty of people, throughout history, who have been nothing but happy with spending more than MSRP for devices, cars, jewellery, art, etc. I am selling mine because i have no use for the phone. It is the furthest thing from an upgrade for me, and if someone else wanted it, they could have purchased it, the same way i did. I was actually pretty late in purchasing mine, but I was still about to get two spots. I am not preventing anyone from purchasing the devices. Apple even said that there would be plenty of supply, so I do not understand your rant. This is a luxury device that no one NEEDS. It is not like this is water being sold, at a ridiculous markup, to victims of a hurricane. Most of the people who are mad at others for reselling the X, already have one on the way, so what's the big fuss? You even said it yourself, "why on earth would anyone over pay for something that is only a few weeks to just wait for?".

My post was about 3 sentences? A Rant is lil longer, like a paragraph.

There’s no fuss, do what you like. I was stating a view, which honestly yes why would anyone over pay for something they can buy on their own in a short period of time. Either way, I don’t see the mark up being high for this phone once they release it because I do feel there are more than enough to around and Apple is just playing the hype game, like they always do and are good at. As far as jewelry or cars, or stuff like that, I nor anyone I really know over pays for things that can be had for retail, art is a different story as it may be a limited piece, etc. Same goes for watches, a few of mine are hard to find and sell for a higher mark up, but that’s a whole different ball game because again we may be talking about a limited supply and with a lil bit of homework things can be picked up for retail.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
And that's what a lot of sellers don't consider, Is the eBay and PayPal fees are steep.
Yup, plus the high chance of getting ripped off on eBay.

For me, I bought it for myself, but if I decide I don't want it I may sell it instead of return it if it's still going for more than I paid.

AmexGG

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2017
I'm not sure the risk is worth the reward. If I don't like my phone I'll probably just walk into the Apple store and return it.

Last edited:

jayrflow

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2013
I'm an impatient person. No way would i be waiting 5-6 weeks for it to arrive. I'm glad i got a 11/3 date. Ever since Friday, this week has dragged on for me since i want to get my hands on this phone already lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.