Are You Kidding Me? - McCain, Palin, Couric

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Sep 30, 2008.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLgd2Skoxv8

She flubs her interviews with Couric, answers a voter's question (which conflicts with McCains position) and brings her daddy on to sit with her while Couric interviews her. Who's advising this campaign?

2. avigalante macrumors 6502

avigalante

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

4. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I had to watch the clip. I thought you literally meant she brought her daddy!

She and McCain were co-interviewed. Pretty weak.

5. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

WHAT???

You can see McCain check all of her answers. As a pair they seem quite unnatural and uncomfortable.
    I'm guessing they're doing a joint interview so that she doesn't slowly kill his campaign with terrible answers when left on her own...

6. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Are they protecting her because they think that a woman can't hack it or is it that she's really that unqualified? Why are they always campaigning together? Why is she not let loose to cover more ground? Does McCain need to be there to protect her all the time or are they trying to avoid image problems when the #2 on the ticket keeps drawing bigger crowds than the #1?

I need to just stop following politics. It's not like a vote for Obama will swing TX, and all it does is manage to rile me up, and my wife would just ignore my rants or get mad and make me sleep on the couch.

7. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I take it marital relations are not fungible. :D

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

You know, I actually almost feel sorry for Palin. She's so out of her depth that I hope we don't see her make a complete fool of herself on national TV Thursday night. Don't get me wrong -- I want to see her lose the debate, but I don't want to see her utterly humiliated.

You know the expression, "If this was a fight, they'd have to stop it"? That's what I'm hoping we don't see.

9. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Could you imagine if she got turned loose with someone like Maddow, Obermann, or even Matthews? She would end up in tears. She may be PTA material, or possibly even school board. But, that is the limit.

10. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I don't quite feel sorry for her yet. I wouldn't put it past any modern campaign to bluff that their candidate is completely out of their league until a debate and then completely blow away their opposition in a debate for the sheer shock effect and proof that they are ready.

For all we know the interviews the shielding may all be part of an elaborate game to make Palin seem like she's completely out of her league only to really hold her own a the debate.

Of course I doubt that any campaign would take the risk that it might not work out, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

I will feel sorry for her only once it becomes completely impossible for them to win, or she has to drop off of the ticket because she's being honest and really is not up to the challenge at this point in her political career.

Personally if she's really that far out of her league I'd rather have a debate where the fight quote was applicable (as long as Biden can't be portrayed as a sexist bully) than have them take it easy on her so she's not too embarrassed. If they take it easy on her and she's really out of her league then we could be staring at a "McCain Wins!" headline on November 5th with a completely unqualified VP.

11. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

I for one hope they rip her a new one and send her home crying. I have zero sympathy for her. Just an absolute reckless choice by McCain. The jeopardy this decision puts on this country infuriates me.

12. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

The thing is, Palin really isn't quite this dimwitted. Sure, her views are horrifying and she has zero grasp of foreign policy, but she's not dumb dumb. The reason why she looks like a Dan Quayle parody as soon as she opens her mouth is that McCain's goons have been trying to pump her chock full of pre-packaged answers in a very short time, like when Neo learned martial arts through a cable into his head in The Matrix. They're using her much like you would use an actress, and it works as long as she's reading off a teleprompter but not when she's on her own. Anytime she answers a question, rather than express her personal take she speaks from memory, and the end result is a jumbled mess of fragments from different memorized answers for unrelated question. They should've just let Palin be Palin, warts and all. That way she could at least have secured the IQ 45-voters (like the guy in Florida who put up a sign that read "Obama = half-breed muslin (sic)". But right now she's not really appealing to anyone.

Nah, they're not that cunning and they just don't have that kind of control. They're on the seat of their pants, improvising and trying to patch things up as they go along. What else could they do? They have a reckless candidate making rushed and poor decisions and a VP candidate who they have to babysit. This weekend, McCain rode in on a white horse in Washington and thought he could coax Congress into passing the bailout bill. Well they didn't and now he looks like a damn fool. Was that part of an elaborate game? No, it was an epic fail.

13. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I guess it's just my insane hope that we might actually be trying to put qualified people into office. Of course that would be ludicrous.

14. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Oh. Well, personally I lost hope of that when I was about 12 and Americans elected a 70-year old B-actor to lead the country. The last straw as far as I'm concerned was when G.W. Bush was elected... I figured if Americans want a chimpansee for president, what's left to hope for? Then, bizarrely, after 4 years and a truckload of evidence that the man was in fact mentally retarded, he was RE-ELECTED. After that, my expectations are so low that I'm happy as long as it's a humanoid or simian, and not a dog or a potted plant.

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Qualified to do what, exactly??

Run a household (fail), or a small state (marginal).

She does smart, intelligent woman a disservice, IMO.

16. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

When this person cannot even get by Gibson and Couric, that really says it all. I must admit however, Katie seems to have come to life recently. The same with Matthews. On the other hand, Brokaw is a complete sell-out to the republicans and the McCain ticket. He is losing objectivity, and journalistic integrity, every time he opens his mouth. Did anyone hear his personal distortion of the facts from last Sunday?

It was later revealed, Brokaw used numbers from immediately after the RN Convention, when McCain's numbers were at their highest. I would expect to see something like this on FOX, not Meet The Press. I guess NBC decided to abandon 'the press', and just go for another WH mouthpiece.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

well, i do like brokaw alot. Unfortunatly he is deeply deeply rooted in "old school" reporting that has nothing but "fairness" in mind. Unfortunatly that "fairness" can lead to deliberate missrepresenting of facts

18. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Up until this election, I liked the guy and had zero issues with him. I guess I never knew his politics.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I still like him, but I don't like how he does his job.

20. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

21. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Same. I hope she is incredibly humiliated during the VP debate.