are you less likely to buy a pro now (rumors)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tim100, Feb 11, 2012.

1. tim100 macrumors 65816

2. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Although I like to time my purchases to have the latest MBP (my Fav model) it's really a matter of needs vs wants. If you need one now, buy now. The current models are excellent.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, because I don't want an ultra-thin laptop, but rather one that has the ram, cpu, and ports that I need.

4. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

I have to agree on this one. I just upgraded from the 13" to the 15" MBP, mainly because I found I needed the dedicated GPU among other things. For me, the MBA (or a thin MBP with MBA features) doesn't appeal to me.

5. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

For my personal needs I too, greatly prefer the current form factor & the ability to pull the HDD & upgrade to an SSD & more ram as I just did with my new 15" MBP.

Yet that said it appears that Apples goal is a sealed system dumbed down for the novice consumer. Attracting new buyers with it's look & feel mirroring iToyz operating system, Apps & all.

It's the type of "progress" I dread.

6. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

I just bought a refurbished MacBook Pro and I'm glad I did. I considered the Air at one point but the lack of storage was what really turned me off. I also like to have an optical disk drive just in case I do have to import a CD or install software I have laying around.

7. Gomff macrumors 6502a

I bought a top spec 15" MBP with the hi res anti glare screen a couple of weeks ago because I wanted something I could run Snow Leopard on. It's almost certainly the last MBP that will run SL, but also I was worried about the rumoured culling of the Superdrive and potential Macbook Air direction the next gen MBP's are heading (ie, soldered in RAM, expensive and non upgradeable SSD storage, no decent GPU, less ports). I need lots of storage, lots of RAM and discrete graphics. I don't mind the extra heft, I like the Unibody design and the ports.

Essentially I need a computer, not an appliance.

8. that1guyy macrumors 6502

Yeah if they cripple the pros by removing ports, not having enough storage, lack upgrade capability, and dedicated gpu, I won't buy it. I prefer how the pros look over the Airs anyway. I don't mind if they make the current MBPs a little thinner and lighter, but full "Airificiation" is not good in my book. I hope Apple doesn't make this mistake or they lose me as a customer

9. wrightc23 macrumors regular

I've just bought a top spec 17" quad core dropped in a crucial m4 and 16gb ram it absolutely flies. To me that's really the point of a 'pro' range and clearly a model range of 'air' based macbooks would be far more limiting.

I can't quite see the point of 15" or 17" Macbook Air styled next gen Macbook, having an incredibly thin and light form factor makes sense in an 11" and 13" ultraportable model where we trade features for portability. What's the point of a 17" model that to all intent is a desktop replacement? You'd just be giving up features and expandability for a sleek form factor on a laptop that would be inherently unportable.

I've no objection to a redesign and extra features (super hi-res screen) given that the current design is four years old but the 17" macbook pro must already be pretty close to the thinnest and lightest 17" laptop out there?

All I can see here is a 15" & 17" model range with a form factor compromising specification and expandability. How are Apple going to fit in decent spec GPU's? Is the RAM going to be fixed to the motherboard?

I can see why Apple are going this way. The Air is by far and away their biggest seller, I'm guessing the 17" MBP is small fry by comparison so why not unify design and production along the lines of a single model line?

Looks like the end of the road for the pro line.

10. Murgatroyd314 macrumors regular

My next computer, to be purchased sometime in the next four months or so, will have a non-glossy screen.
    It will have at least a half-terabyte of storage, preferably more.
    It will have discrete graphics.
    It will have user-upgradable RAM.
    It will have a decent variety of ports.
    It will not require a constant internet connection for anything important.

It remains to be seen whether it will be a next-generation MBP. The rumors are interesting, but it's the actual facts that will make the decision.

11. Gomff, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012

Gomff macrumors 6502a

I thought about waiting. But because I wanted the spec that I did, I wasn't prepared to try my luck in the UK refurb store after watching it for a few weeks and not seeing anything that met my needs. I also wanted a Mac because of software licenses and current workflow, although depending on how things go in the next 2 or 3 years this might be my last.

I expect that if Apple do take the teeth out of the Macbook Pro line for the sake of portability and looks, there will be a scramble for the last (current) generation that still has some balls.

12. tarponbeach macrumors member

I just bought a 13" MBP, and am happy that I did. The thinner form factor of the rumored new MBP's does not appeal at all to me. The current MBP's feel nice and substantial, the feel of the Air (or similar), not so much.

13. Cicatrix macrumors 6502

Jeeeeez, I don't get why everyone is coming unglued about a rumor that states it's going to resemble the Mackbook Air. Resemble does not mean identical. What if it was just a little bit thinner, with a superior cpu in Ivy Bridge, a HDD, with a SSD option, retina display. I'm sure ram will be upgradeable as well. What the hell is this talk about a sealed case? Yeah right! Give me a break. You guys really are making something out of nothing.

14. camardelle macrumors 6502

I looked hard at the 11" MBA but went for the 13" MBP for the opposite reasons the MBA is probably so popular. I like the "heft" of the MBP and didn't mind the extra 2 lbs I think it weighed. When handling the MBA, I felt like I might break the thing. LOL

15. thundersteele macrumors 68030

The Appleinsider article doesn't contain any new information - all information in that article was already known/rumored at the end of last year. I don't understand why they sell this as "breaking news", and then every other news site copies it over and also pretends that there is something new to this story.

Anyways, the release date of Intels new CPUs is getting closer (2 month!). It might be worth waiting for an updated MBP, with or without a redesign!

Personally I have a fairly new machine right now. Haswell in 2013 might be a significant step forward and is the earliest I would consider buying a new MBP/MBA.

16. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

And this is supposed to be current news? I was reporting this in these forums 11 months ago when Apple said they were going to make a 17" MBA and they would revamp their entire line. Not to take away from your post but this is hardly new..

But to play along anyway, it would make no difference to me if the line is revamped or not. For me it is about function. If I need a new laptop tomorrow I will purchase one. If I need one a year from now then I'll get one then. Thank God I am not one of those who will be waiting til doomsday arrives for the "ultimate" laptop. The current models are excellent products.

17. Jordnbeats macrumors member

I agree with you lol! well about how you felt like you might break the mba.

18. Carl Sagan macrumors 6502a

Carl Sagan

Ain't that the truth! I've never seen such a bunch of panic stricken mutha****ers talking about dumping Apple based on nothing more than a link bait rumor mongering website posting! Funny stuff!:D

19. Murgatroyd314 macrumors regular

That's exactly what I'm hoping for, and why I'm even bothering to wait to see the new ones. If that's what ends up happening, I'd definitely go for it, and might not even wait for it to show up refurbished. That's the best-case scenario, but I'm not ruling out the worst-case just yet.

20. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

If Apple have to sacrifice power or capabilities to make the Pro thinner and lighter, then I will buy the current model instead. I love the Air, but it's only powerful enough to be a secondary computer.

21. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I think a 15" MBP Air Book Pro :D will definitely have more space to put in a speedier processor, extra GPU and ports. When they remove the optical drive and replace the hard drive with an SSD on a stick, they have more room.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next 15" MBP is pretty much an Air with fast specs. I am waiting for Apple to have innovative laptops, not just good looking ones.

22. StuLax18 macrumors 6502

The only good thing I'm seeing in these rumors is that the 15" should see the first changes. I want to get a new 15", but not if it's more air-like, so at least I'll know sooner rather than later.

May end up buying the 2011 model, which hopefully will be cheaper at that point.

23. dekka007 macrumors member

Its all down to the graphics for me.

If they go with Macbook Air Pro with Intel integrated 3000/4000 graphics then I think its a show stopper for most Pro users.

But question is how powerful discrete graphics can they get in a ultra thin chassis with cooling issues etc. I have the feeling they might just dump discrete. And I hope not.

24. ggmissmolly macrumors regular

It's all predictable. Company starts out lean and mean. Those that make it are innovative and try like heck to win customers. Then they grow and grow and get more internal centric and more Wall Street centric. They stop doing what made them great and start dictating to their customers and become another humdrum corporation.

Executives push half done projects done by a new breed of employees who think the company is immortal out into the market. Reputation goes and they either go stagnant or backwards. Hello Dell and HP! And now hello Apple!

How many recent products don't work as hyped by the company? The Apple stores are going from excellent to high class BestBuys. Now by God we don't need a HD or an optical drive...up yours Tim!

25. swartzfeger macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I've been deciding on whether to buy now or wait. I'm on the cusp and waiting until May would really push it for my needs.

Waiting for the new Ivy Bridge models would be really tempting if the retina rumors are true. Losing the ODD would probably be a plus for me in the long run too. USB 3.0 would be a bonus.

However, if the other rumors are true, a redesigned 17" would almost certainly eliminate the expresscard, which I need. And if the rumors are true, the 15" redesign would launch first, with the 17" to follow.

And losing the discrete GPU? I'll pass.

The 2011 may be a great machine to pick up until future generations get higher capacity SSDs, etc.