Are you moving to Google+, in leu of Facebook video ads?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Rossatron, May 8, 2013.

1. Rossatron macrumors 6502a

i read that facebook is going to implement video ads that plays *automatically* ( :| ) on your timeline. so today I'm working on migrating to google+. any of you doing (did) the same (to google+, or any other service)?

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

My solution to the automatic ads is...

No Facebook
    No Google+
    No Twitter
    No Pinterest
    No Linkedin

No social media!

Just my lonely, quietly private, life. Sadly anti-social...:eek:

3. Big Dave macrumors 6502

About a year ago, I setup Google+. I went on Facebook and said "Hey Everybody, check out Google+ and you can find me at..." Nobody did. Then I got to thinking about who my Facebook friends were and I decided it was mostly people I haven't seen in real life in years. I like Google+ better than Facebook but once people get comfortable with something then it is hard to get them to change. I think this is why there are so many Windows users.

----------

You still enjoy the MR social media right?

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Well, I never thought of MR as being in the same category as "social media" (Facebook, Twitter, etc.), but if you say it is...yup, I enjoy it.:D

5. Rossatron thread starter macrumors 6502a

well, i always thought that google+'s interface was (and is) lightyears ahead of Facebook. even their iOS apps crush facebook's with ease. but alas, as you said, people still stuck there. now they have it coming :p

well, "no facebook" is nearly impossible (for me at least). sure, news and updates i can get anywhere else, but there are some very useful groups there (got a very nice study group) which is very nice.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nope, because all my friends are on facebook. Why go to google + when no one is there (for me)

7. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I suppose most people consider "social media" to mean the new media that have exploded on the Internet in the past ten years, as opposed to these ancient messaging boards. :p

The fact that I'm characterizing message boards as ancient somewhat disturbs me though.

8. SMDBill macrumors 6502

That will probably be the step that pushes me off of Facebook. Security concerns are already high and just the other day I had another concern. I posted a link to a page on a local website that listed a lost dog and instead of the photo of the dog appearing, a random ad was inserted on Facebook in its place within the photo frame. I was not the only user to repost the story and some had the correct picture in their posts while others had ads of various types. NONE of those ads appeared on the original website so the assumption is it was something done on Facebook. Very strange behavior for what should have just been a link to the URL with the photo and the first couple sentences from the story.

Odd behavior for sure and the forced ads via video format will do it for me. I don't really interact on Facebook anyhow but it's nice to see pictures from a few close friends or when they post information about their families/children. I hate 95% of Facebook, but the 5% I do care about will be missed. I just refuse to tolerate such forced interaction when I'm already facing their ads as it is now. I understand the need to generate revenue, but not at the expense of wasted time like when some sites insert long videos in front of a video I want to see. I normally just close it and move on.

Already a member of Google+, but I have never used it so I can't say I'll go there or not. Odds are I will not...who knows.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Whats to say Google+ won't do the same ads.

I haven't seen an ad in years. If only I could say the same for the iPhone.

10. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

If the shoe fits, Oldster...:p

And I say that from a position where my guess is you are just a young whippersnapper compared to me.;)

11. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I strongly suspect you are correct.:cool:

12. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Somehow, this reply, as calm, agreeable, and seemingly neutral as it is...in fact, is extremely cruel!:(

13. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Nope. I don't have a Facebook and barely use G+. I had a Facebook for a few months when it first starting getting mainstream many years ago and found it to be the most annoying (read narcissistic) thing on the Internet to me and deleted it.

I guess my social network is MacRumors and real life.

14. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Real life...what's that?:confused:

15. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Hmmm... what is real life? 42? Wait no, that's the meaning of life. Real life is.... tangible! Electrical impulses interpreted by the brain. That's it! :p

[​IMG]

16. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Not even a subtle (and friendly) gibe gets past you, eh?:D:D:D

17. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I'll have to look into this "real life" thing. There might be something in it...

I'm a trained observer, you know.

Also, pathologically sensitive to real, or perceived, insults.:(

I believe that's called paranoia...but I'll have to look it up.

:D:D

18. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

who told you this? clearly someone who just doesn't like facebook.

Anyways, I have G+ and I never use it and I get more group invitations of my state there from random people and I never do on facebook.

19. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

It's only something I've heard about in fairy tails. :p:D

20. zachlegomaniac macrumors 6502a

zachlegomaniac

OP - Why not just wait to see if it's actually implemented, and then make your decision?

My guess is that ads are going to become more and more integrated in social media as time goes on. Similar to real life. I can't even remember going to a movie that didn't have product placement in it since I was born.

21. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

This.

I would love to extract a core group of 50-100 friends and relatives from my Facebook and move to Google + and shut down my FB...but that will never happen.

----------

Was thinking the same. Seems pretty drastic to just shut down your FB and move over to Google + based on a rumor that hasn't come to fruition yet. I personally cannot see this ever happening. I keep my ear glued to the tech news/rumor mill and I have never heard a peep about this.

22. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

I want to move away from Facebook because of a story about in which some users in Sweden and Norway saw what would be videos of extremely graphic videos on their facebook profile as described in this article on the BBC's website http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22368287

Since I'm almost always on Facebook chat within Adium and rarely go to the homepage of my profile(only updating my profile photo) I foolishly consider myself safe from these videos of decapitations.

I have a Google+ profile too but only few of my friends are on there. Most americans and only one friend from school from way back.

23. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Other than forums such as this, I don't do any other form of social media. Facebook, Google+, Twitter, etc, can all go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

24. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I don't use Facebook. I tried Google+ and liked it, but as others said, no one uses it, so I deleted my account.

It's just Twitter and forums for me. I'm also trying out App.net, and like it -- but like usual with social media that I like -- no one uses it :p