Are you ok with the new MacBook Pro having only USB-C ports? [Poll]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by redheeler, Jun 1, 2016.

?

Are you ok with the MBP going all-in with USB-C?

1. Yes, I anticipate USB-C is all I will need.

14.3%
  2. Yes, I will buy any necessary adapters.

37.2%
  3. No, I will stick with what I have or get a different laptop.

32.7%
  4. No, but I will buy it and make do.

15.8%
  1. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I'm curious what people think of the recent rumor. If it's legit, and the new MacBook Pro will be USB-C only, how will you cope?

2. Closingracer macrumors 68000

If they are thunderbolt 3 USB C ports than yes

3. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Out of concern about what might be coming down the pike with regard to the rMBP I chose not to wait for the new models but instead bought my 15" rMBP in December 2015 so now I'm set for a while. Years ago (2008) I learned my lesson with the MacBook Air when the first iteration had such limitations on its ports and resolved after that to never again make that mistake.

4. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Unfortunately, I just won't be able to deal with that if that leak is true.

I'm fine with the MacBook having two, or even one USB-C port(s). I don't use connectivity that much, and I would probably just get a USB-C to USB-A adapter for the occasional USB connection I need. But this is a Pro machine. If this is something that gets in my to-buy list, it's probably because it'll be my main computer, and I definitely need an SD card slot, HDMI to output video, two USB-A ports. It's already a problem that the MBP doesn't have an Ethernet port, and now the fact that you need an adapter to connect even the most basic equipment will make the computer downright pointless.

And I'm really acceptant of whatever new comes. But right now it's going too far. If this goes on, I'll have no choice but to stay on Windows, even if OS X is an operating system miles better.

5. jerryk macrumors 68020

Windows machines are going all type C also (HP Spectre). They are more versatile. On the Spectre any of the 3 ports can charge the machine, do data transfer, or connect to external displays. 2 of the ports support Thunderbolt 3 40GB/sec transfers. Why have ports dedicated to one function.

Also, when in an office/home you can also hook up one port to a hub that can charge the machine and connect it to accessories (keyboard, mice, displays) with a single cable to the laptop.

6. dallegre macrumors member

dallegre

I already use a thunderbolt dock at my desk and a card reader for photography needs. So, I'd have to replace the dock with a TB3 dock, and obviously carry a USB-C > USB-A adapter or two when on the go.

When I'm at my desk USB-C/TB-3 would allow me to go from 3 cables plugged in (audio, mag-safe, TB) to just a single USB-C cable going to a dock. My mobile needs almost exclusively require connecting to USB-A (for now) storage devices.

7. jerryk macrumors 68020

I see on Amazon there are some 1 USB C to 3 port/portable adapter cables. One USB C to allow charging a MacBook (hopefully not needed on a MBP with multiple USB C connection), I HDMI (or DVI) for video, and USB 3.0 Type A host port. Pretty much everything I need when I am on the road.

8. marka351 macrumors member

marka351

You need another option, something like "not happy if it is only USB C ports, but will have to make do with them if that is all Apple offers us".

I am still hoping that they leave a legacy port as all my stuff uses old ports.

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think for a pro machine it needs to keep at least one regular USB port for a couple more years. They can definitely start to phase it out though.

10. applesith macrumors 68020

applesith

Yes, because USB-C is going to be the standard and Apple isn't going to to a phased refresh as USB-C becomes mainstream. They are going to use this new MBP form factor for a while now.

11. Internet Enzyme macrumors regular

Internet Enzyme

You should add a "No, but I'll buy it anyway" option, because that's what I see most people will end up doing, no matter how much they piss and moan

12. redheeler thread starter macrumors 603

redheeler

Good idea. I can see that happening, especially with people here on MacRumors.

13. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

I would sooner buy a thinkpad than 10 new adapters...

14. Freyqq macrumors 68040

If apple sold a dock with 1 USB A, 1 USB C with charging, and 1 mini-displayport 1.2 or 1.3 port for $50 or less, I would have no issue.

15. jerryk macrumors 68020

More like $200 which is what other sell them for, or $300 with the Apple tax.

16. kevinkyoo macrumors 6502a

kevinkyoo

It's going to suck for the first year or two, but I think this is the right move. TB3 will be the way to go for external monitors/GPU's; there are cheap adapters out there for USB A; eventually the devices utilizing USB A will be upgraded to use USB C, and if you really depend on that device, you'll upgrade anyway.

17. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

I don't understand why these "cold" changes occur. Apple knows it's customer base doesn't have cords of this nature and peripheral devices more-than-likely don't have those type of ports either so why not introduce it but keep the other ports? Maybe not as many of the legacy ports but at least allow a smooth transition.

18. jerryk macrumors 68020

You can get a C to A adapter for $20 or so and gain multiple ports each of which you can use to charge or connect anything from a disk to a 4 K monitor.

19. argentum47 macrumors regular

argentum47

I'm fine with buying adapters, but 2 USB-C on each side is insufficient; need at least 3 on each side.
    Power, 4K+@60Hz display, extra peripherals.
    My use case shouldn't be something unusual; it's supposed to be a 'pro' laptop for work.
    Currently, no single adapter supports all three, so it will be pretty ugly until one comes out in my setup :(

20. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

I would hate to buy new accessories NOT because they are an advancement in technology, but because they changed the shape of the port my cable fits in to.

21. dranakin macrumors 6502

Completely agree, as well as that there are multiple ports (as indicated by the rumors). 4 should be the minimum amount. Charging, external mouse, monitor, and adapter for older USB devices would be my everyday needs.

22. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

23. jerryk macrumors 68020

Apple has always pushed consumers forward. No doubt some iPhone users were upset when the lightning connector came out. Now they can't imaging using the old connector.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 2, 2016 ---
    They are an advancement in technology. With USB-C you can charge the device from any port, support up to 40GB of throughput if the port has TB3, and use the same port for video, data, or peripherals. Much more capable than the old USB 3 ports.

Also, not sure why you need to by new accessories. There are adapters cables to USB 3, HDMI, etc.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 2, 2016 ---
    Then buy a USBC/TB3 hub/dock for your desktop. They are around $200 and with one connection to the laptop connects to TB, HDMI, Ethernet, etc, and charge the laptop. Much cleaner that having 3 or 4 cables going to the laptop.

24. kyykesko macrumors regular

kyykesko

I'd be replacing a thunderbolt dock and a bunch of adapters (of which I already have WAY too many). I'm not looking forward to paying way over $4k to be able to replace my current setup and I'm even less enthusiastic about carrying a single dongle more than I am already. I used the SD card reader daily, same with USB-A port. I MIGHT be able to deal with the disappearance of the SD but losing all USB A and a standard DisplayPort capable port is not making me a happy camper. Put as many USB-C as you want but keep one of each of those two and I may still buy the computer (as long as it doesn't have the ****-awful keyboard the 12" Macbook has). Make it all-USB-C and you lost yet another customer.

25. TMRJIJ macrumors 68020

TMRJIJ

This year, I'm refreshing everything MacBook related. My printer is connected with my routers now, I plan on getting new External SSD drive with USB-C to replace my traditional HDD enclosures, no more thumb drives since iCloud took over.
    The only dongle I'll need is an HDMI adapter for presentations in some of my classes.