Are you on a "priority list," and please tell when you get "the email."

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by kavika411, Jun 24, 2010.

1. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Greetings. Please feel free to redirect or close this thread as necessary. I can't find anything on this topic.

Today I was placed on a "priority list." As explained to me, I will receive an email when iPhones come in to my local Apple Store that can be purchased. I was told I will get preference over general walk-ins, and those of us on the list get emails in sequential order.

Long story short, I am curious (1) how prevalent the "priority list" was in other regions, and - much more importantly - (2) when others receive "the email" letting them know they can pick up their iPhone.

Here's why I'm interested; as much as I love Apple, and as excited as I am about the iPhone 4, I have a nagging hunch this "priority list" was created to pacify us out of the line we'd stood in for 8+ hours (to then find out it was sold out) with the least amount of angst and no expectation that we actually get a "priority." (And yes, I knew I took a risk when I stood in line. That's not my point. I just want to determine whether Apple gave us some sort of false hope that we stand a better chance than the next guy.)

Thanks.

2. thedge18 macrumors member

I'm on a priority list as of this morning. I'm hoping I'll hear soon.

3. kavika411 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Thank you for your response. I'm curious - and this is just opinion - but do you think you will be given any actual "priority" as iPhones come in? I guess the alternative question is this - do you think (like me) that the day you get "the email" will be the day your respective store will get in so many iPhones that it renders "priority" useless?

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer. Just trying to avoid getting my hopes up that I will get it even one day earlier than masses - that Apple didn't give me a BS line to placate me.

Thanks.

4. thedge18 macrumors member

It's a good question. I think that ultimate priority will be given to those who wait in line, as several stores near me seem to have stock – it's just that there are long lines and great uncertainty as to whether or not walk-ins will able to purchase. What I really want to know is when they'll get more stock in. If they're getting stock in every day, then the priority list seems useless to me because there's not long to wait. If they're getting a big shipment around July 14th, then it makes sense – but in that case I'd rather have it shipped to me directly. It will certainly calm down most customers, but not me. I'm still actively searching for any way to get my hands on one tonight or tomorrow.

5. kavika411 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Thanks. I agree with everything you say, especially - and unfortunately - that the ultimate question is when they will get in another shipment. I have a very real concern (and yes, I know that sounds a bit hyperbolic) that they won't get another shipment until mid-July - when the online orders are due to ship. Perhaps stores other than yours and mine have more in stock. That would give me hope. I just don't have a feel yet for how prevalent the sell-outs were.

6. Savan macrumors newbie

I also wondered if it'd be better to get on the list or go wait on the next expected ship date.

After calling the apple store and asking some questions I found out that the "priority list" trumps walkins. That combined with the fact that on other launches apple stores have gotten super secret shipments it seems like the list is the better option.

7. kavika411 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Here's the lowdown on "Priority List" versus walk-ins.

I'll post this both in the Birmingham, Alabama meetup thread and the "priority list" thread I started last night in the general meetup category. Hope this helps someone.

So, here's the story - at least for Birmingham - on how it is they sold out yesterday for walk-ins, took names for a "priority list" group, but are now selling a boatload at this moment with no emails being sent to the "priority list." Yesterday, there were two lines - one for "reserved" customers, and the other for walki-ins. They had to keep a certain number on hand to fulfill their "reserved" customer list. As the day went on, they did their best to make sure that come closing time, they'd have enough for the "reserved" group. So, around 3:30 or so, they decided to tell those in the walk-in line that they were out of iPhones for walk-ins because there were still a ton of "reserved" people still in line, and more were expected.

Those of us sent away were put on a "priority list" and told that when a new shipment came in, they would be held for the "priority" people. You would get an email letting you know "your" iPhone was in and giving you a time range to get it. So, we all got on the list and immediately got a no frills email from Apple letting us know we were on the list and thanking us.

So, closing time last night comes and goes. At that time, a whole lot of the "reserved" people still hadn't gotten their iPhones. Those iPhones were then put in a general pool.

Between closing last night, and opening this morning (8:00 a.m.), no new shipment of iPhones arrived. And, no emails were sent to the "priority list" people.

At opening this morning, it was a first come first serve on the "leftovers" from yesterday. I anticipate those will be sold out here in Birmingham between noon today and 2:00. That's just me speculating.

So, where does that leave the "priority list" people. The person I spoke with said that what they said yesterday remains true - that when a "new shipment" arrives, those on the "priority list" will get an email/dibs.

The big question of course, is when will that next shipment come in. My guess is early to mid-July.

Hope this helps someone.

8. thedge18 macrumors member

I can confirm that being on a priority list does not mean you'll get a phone as soon as they're available. Probably means you'll be notified when stores get a new shipment. I got no email but went into my store this morning when they opened and walked out with a new phone. Go figure.

9. NewYorkRules macrumors newbie

Where did this "priority list" come from?

And when did it start? I had a big long conversation with a salesperson yesterday and it wasn't even mentioned as an option.

10. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

I went into the local store at 830 this am and just missed the last of the leftovers from last night. Guy told me no list, first come first serve and said they might be more later today.

Fast forward to 12:30 over lunch, walk in front door and guy is waiting by iphones with an ipad taking names for the Priority list.

I put my name down, but will continue to search..

11. bholaladka macrumors regular

i got mine within 10 minutes

12. Chellek87 macrumors member

I ordered one online on Thursday, June 24th- it says will ship by July 14th. I went to the Apple store this morning, and he said I could add my name to the priority list and see which one comes faster. Which he is betting the priority list one, and is thinking next week sometime. He also told me they would go to priority list people first, and I would get an email when they got to my name and I would have until the end of the next day to come and pick it up!

It also seems stores are starting the priority list at different times, as the one in my area started yesterday.

13. Peabody macrumors regular

In Oregon all 3 apple stores are now "priority list" only - no walk in purchases available, just instantly redirected to a machine to add me to the list.

So I did...

...and I guess now I wait!

14. shox2k2 macrumors 6502

There are no apple stores here in Wichita ks, but I called down to OKC and was put on a list and they also took down which style I wanted and said I would have until the end of the day to pick it up. When I called a KC apple store they just took down my name and email and said I would be notified when they get a shipment.

I work all week and my son has 3 baseball games mon/tues/wed so if I get an email in the first few days I am S.O.L. I'm not too worried about it, if they do get a shipment on monday I will assume they would also get one next monday which is the holiday (for federal workers) and I'll drive to a store that day.

15. PoppaKap macrumors regular

For those that got on a list- did you get an email immediately to confirm that you are on a list?

16. djhamm macrumors newbie

I received one within a few minutes of putting my name on their list.

17. Inf4life macrumors regular

Inf4life

Within minutes of me getting off the phone.

18. PoppaKap macrumors regular

The inconsistency is frustrating. I called in and they said that I had to come in to get on the list. I went down and was directed to a MacBook. I haven't heard anything since.

19. leo8877 macrumors member

I had received my email that they would contact me when my phone was in within 5 mins of signing up in store. Now just waiting for phone to come in.

20. Got Haggis? macrumors member

yeah, same here. The apple store in Annapolis, MD told me they expected their next shipment of iPhones this Tuesday.

21. leo8877 macrumors member

Anyone on the priority list get an email that their phones are in stock yet?

22. seanpholman macrumors regular

I cancelled my Priority List today when I found a 32GB model in stock at AT&T. I think Apple dropped the ball on this one.

--Sean

23. davechen macrumors member

I got on the priority list last Thursday morning and got email yesterday that my iphone was in, 6 days later. So it does work, eventually.

24. Chellek87 macrumors member

My reservation disappeared from the apple store app last night....got on the priority list frist thing Saturday. I called this morning to see if she could check and she said she did not have access to that information. But I explained the situation and she said it should be fine and not to worry. I am still worrying....anyone else have this happen??

25. NickG420 macrumors regular

NickG420

Mine disappeared as well, however I called the Apple Store and the lady checked and said my name was still on the list. She confirmed my reservation and email address. They have not had a shipment in almost a week, I bought the last one they had on Friday of last week.