are you only able to add music to iphone by syncing? Or can you click drag and drop?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AtrocityExhibit, Nov 4, 2007.

1. AtrocityExhibit macrumors newbie

Can you add music (or photos too I guess) to the iPhone by just dragging the songs/playlists/etc in itunes and dropping it on the phone's icon? Like how you can with an iPod.. Or are you only able to add stuff by syncing?

2. JimmyDreams macrumors 6502

You have to sync it. And your phone can be sync'd to only one computer.

Choose wisely, Grasshopper!!

3. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

It sucks. I always had my ipods just drag and drop, so getting used to this syncing thing sucked, but i guess its not bad. Just make a folder called iPhone, and put all the music you want on your iPhone there and just sync that one folder. Still not as good but it works.

4. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Exactly. It totally and completely sucks though. The whole thing about linking to ONE iTunes library is almost debilitating for some people. Hope Apple works it out soon.

~ CB

5. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

They wont. They didnt with the iPod.

6. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Shrug... as would be expected. I believe it is more a "implementation" thing as it is a "we simply won't let you" thing. They gave the iPhone back its iPod "video out". I highly doubt many things that haven't appeared yet are never to appear, but people need to remember to keep giving Apple feedback about it. Let them know its important, and even "expected". Apple might not bust its hump over something if people seem otherwise happy, even if it was in development. There's been clear indications that they were attempting "diskmode" but decided it was better to delay/retire it for now, for any number of reasons. That's my take.

~ CB

7. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

True, it is important to give them feedback (and hopefully the take that into consideration). I must ask though, what were the clear indications that they were planning to put it into diskmode?

8. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

I'm trying desperately not to become obsessed with finding it, but there was a reference months ago on one of these websites (MacRumors, MacNN, Tuaw, AppleInsider) to a string being found in an earlier iTunes that mentioned the iPhone being put into "disk mode". It was a footnote possibly with another story, but it didn't really get a lot of attention at the time. There was commentary that disk mode was pushed off because it required the phone to be far less tolerant of being yanked off its cradle. Given the huge issues Vista ran into with corrupting iPods in disk mode, I think there's a lot of truth to it.

It'd be nice if one could find a grouping with all the "look what we found in iTunes text strings" stories. Even though they don't always mean anything, they're interesting food for thought.

There was also a virulent rumor that Apple was reserving disk mode for an update that would add filesharing, cover flow filebrowsing, quicklook, and spotlight support to the mobile operating system. This made a kind of twisted sense, so I've been nurturing the idea in the back of my head. The original poster of the rumor was apparently tarred and feathered, and his assertions have yet to materialize (with one notably and somewhat inaccurate exception).
    Strangely enough, the basic details are still compelling in some aspects. Others have cratered somewhat badly.
    Meh. That's the crazy thing about development though. You never know when something will be pushed back. It's why Apple generally doesn't announce much before it arrives.

~ CB

9. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

HEY, I found it! Apparently forum user "FreeState" just reposted the strings. LOL. Engadget even posted it as if it were a new story, but using the strings, shows that the story first showed up on June 29th, with iTunes 7.3... TUAW's Erica Sadun posted it:
    MacRumors user FreeState also found a mention
    in iTunes 7.5's help referencing it:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=4448839#post4448839
    That's funny... for a while there I was concerned about my memory.

So, essentially the strings survive, but Apple has yet to fullfill on that early promise. There is also a mention of the strings on AppleInsider, but I almost wonder if sandau is some type of anagram.

~ CB

10. havenhamilton macrumors 6502

does this work with the new itunes and 2.0?

11. memesmith macrumors regular

To answer the OPs question though, yes you CAN drag and drop, you have to Set "Enable Manual Management of Music" or something like that in the first tab. Then drag and drop away. You do have top remember to dismount the iphone before unplugging it though.

12. 123walter macrumors member

123walter

Stinky synky

Y'know fellows thas why I used to use a thing called Anapod. Very useful lil program. Turns your ipod into a filemanager(Like a powerdesk) your pod is just treated as tho it were anothr drive. I have just synced my iphone for the third tme today. I couldnt believe what was happening. But there was a thing in prefs that said No auto syncing. Its under Preferences/Sync' and it says "No auto snc for ipods and iphones) Now I dont know if this is gonna hold true, when I go to add something new. I just bought it today. But I have a qustion...Anybody had trouble with bluetooth on their Iphone? Ill leave it at that and go to ask in another thread.

13. tsvb macrumors 6502

Ha! Old thread. But I am really glad that they added the ability to drag and drop.