Are you paying full cost to keep your unlimited data when iPhone 5 comes out?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cdmoore74, May 30, 2012.

?

Full cost vs reduced cost vs not upgrading

1. Will use upgrade to get iPhone at lower cost but losing unlimited data.

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  2. Will buy iPhone outright to keep unlimited data.

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  3. Not upgrading. Keeping my current phone.

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

I have unlimited data on Verizon and this might be the year for a larger screen LTE iPhone. I have 4 lines and I upgrade 2 times a year. Rumor has it that if you sign a new contract you will lose unlimited data but if you buy outright your fine; no new contract thus no changes. Question is are you guys willing to pay full cost to keep your unlimited plan? I have a Galaxy Nexus and I always use over 4GB a month because LTE is just that damn quick; quicker than my home internet connection.
    The idea of paying $450 more for service that I know I will have is just crazy. Otherwise I'm holding out for a revamped/large screen iPod touch or a smaller iPad. That $450 alone can buy 2 ipod touches or one smaller iPad.

2. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

For the die-hard cable cutting mobile data users holding onto the unlimited plans will pay off in the long run even with no subsidization. The average user, though, will be pushing the plans away in favor of getting cheaper devices up front. I'd imagine this will put nearly all of Verizon's grandfathered plans out of the window.

3. 7DSniper macrumors regular

From what it sounds like from Verizon, if you intend to use 4G you will loose your grandfathered unlimited plan. Not just signing a new contract but simply using 4G.

4. irDigital0l Guest

If they have a good family data plan thats a lot cheaper maybe...

Right now... 3 iPhones = $90 (2 of them are unlimited)

5. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

AT&T already has 4G / LTE in my area. I have an Android on it with my 8 year old unlimited data plan. There was no increase in price either. In twelve years as an AT&T customer, I've always enjoyed the best rates & service.

I'm also a Verizon customer. The two carriers are not all that different. The primary reason I prefer AT&T is their pricing remains more consistent, the service is better, and overall AT&T gives me the lowest price & broadest coverage area.

6. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

Hmmm

I have an unlimited corporate line through my company... I just got on their plan in September and was able to get unlimited data right away. I wonder how they will treat this? I initially thought I was going to be on the tiered data, so getting unlimited back so late in the game was a pleasant surprise. I am interested to see what happens with "using 4G" as I will be buying the new iphone out right.

7. andross77 macrumors regular

This is wrong. the only way to save unlimited data on verizon is to first, already have an unlimited plan, and second to be on a 4g phone BEFORE they switch to the family data plans this summer. THEN, you can buy ANY 4g phone at full price (including the new iphone which of course will have LTE) and keep your unlimited 4g plan.

IF you use your subsidy AFTER the new plans have taken effect, you WILL LOSE your unlimited. ALSO, if you are on the 3g iphone now, and try to buy the next iphone at full price, you WILL LOSE your unlimited data because 3g unlimited and 4g unlimited plans are different in Verizon's system. So they will have to switch you over and after the new family shared plans come into effect that will necessarily bump you off the unlimited.

This is all in their second press release about it.

Just warning those like the OP who think they can go from their 3g iphone to a full cost 4g iphone and keep unlimited. It won't happen. People not being aware of this fact will help drop 90% of the unlimited plans out there since "everyone" will want the new iphone but most will not have switched to a 4g android phone during the interim to save their unlimited data.

8. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

Does this also apply to corporate plans? I am not so sure, as I was able to get unlimited WAY after they switched to tiered.

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Link? All I've seen is the NYT article which doesn't match your claims (emphasis mine):
    http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/17/verizon-clarifies-shared-data-plans/

10. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I'm unlimited with AT&T and most likely will chose to lose unlimited if it means buying the phone at 199.99

11. super tomtendo macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

Though I appreciate having unlimited data from being grandfathered. I do not see myself paying X amount of money retail to keep it.

I find myself always connected to WiFi so I hardly ever use data thru Verizon.

But, we'll see! Cause with LTE, I may be prone to want to do more things...

12. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

There's really no "unsure" option.

I mean, it's going to vary a lot depending on a lot of different things.

What does verizon subsidize right now? $400?

(The below is just an example of how I will likely make my decision. Very few of the numbers are factual. It's just an example.

let's say for example, they subsidize $400.

I'd have to figure out:

1. How much data do I actually use? (I've got a spreadsheet and I keep track).
    2. How much Data to I forecast using when iPhone gets 4G LTE capability?
    3. What's pricing going to be like on the tiered/shared plan?
    4. If I signed a shared or tiered data plan, how likely would I be to go over?
    5. How much does it cost if you go over?

Let's say right now I use between 1 and 2 GB per month and my wife uses 1. Total of 3 GB MAX (she really uses way less and I'm really pushing it to get to 1 GB but we'll stick with 3 GB combined for comparison. Let's say I forsee my usage going up by 1 GB and hers going up by 1 GB. So that answers questions 1 and 2 above. Right now I pay ~$55/month for data. So if they do a shared plan where you get 5GB for $50. That answers question 3. Let's assume the answer to questions 4 and 5 are "pretty likely" and "$10/gb" respectively.

So now we're at:

1. How much data do I actually use? (I've got a spreadsheet and I keep track).
    3 GB combined
    2. How much Data to I forecast using when iPhone gets 4G LTE capability?
    5 GB combined
    3. What's pricing going to be like on the tiered/shared plan?
    (no idea) for example, let's say 5 GB for $50.
    4. If I signed a shared or tiered data plan, how likely would I be to go over?
    Pretty likely since #2 and #3 above are close (~5 GB)
    5. How much does it cost if you go over?
    Let's just say for example it costs $10/gb over

If I sign a tiered/shared plan, I save $400 (per this example). That means I can go over by 1 GB every month for 40 months (@$10/month) and break even. That may be tempting to dump unlimited. We'll just have to see how everything plays out.

13. scorpio1973 macrumors 6502a

Will most likely buy the phone outright like I did with the iPhone 4S. I like not being tied down to a contract and having an unlocked phone. Comes in handy for international travel.

14. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Yes I will be buying all of my future phones outright.

Down with contracts!!

15. andross77 macrumors regular

The part about 3g and 4g unlimited data plans not being the same comes from multiple areas: 1) reading threads in howards forums, mainly the one with the $69.99 for 450 anytime minutes, unlimited text and data which i jumped on (well the family version that was $140). 2) talking to any CSR or manager that says i will have to CHANGE my data plan to a compatible 4g one, still unlimited. 3) going to my verizon to upgrade my phone and being given the data options i have to agree and sign up for a 4g one. 4) the fact that 4g phones now require special LTE sim cards.

My point is, when someone goes from a 3g phone to a 4g phone, the data plan ACTUALLY changes in the system. Now you may have a CSR that says, "No problem, everything will stay the same" while you are upgrading but the truth is, they are changing the 3g data plan to a 4g data plan.

The whole point of these new shared data plans is to make money off overages (obviously) and reduce stress on the LTE network. Verizon is only going to be able to see improvements in both of these categories if they target their #1 seller which is.......the iphone. Millions have 3g iphones now and millions are going to want the 4g iphone in the fall.

VZW execs: How can we bump millions of customers of "all-you-can-eat" data?

Answer: the family shared data plans.