Are you ready for some Hitler?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Hank Williams Jr. is.

Actually, I didn't post this because it made me really angry. If a politician said this I might be upset. But because it's Williams, I'm more irritated and/or bemused by it than anything else, the way you feel about the loudmouth drunk at the end of the bar. I mean, I'd heard Williams was a flag-waving jerk, but wow, folks. The combative stance, the barely contained anger, the Hitler comparison (that he doubled down on).... He made the Fox gang look totally reasonable. :p

Ohh, those poor people in Tennessee, should he run and win.

Not sure how I feel about ESPN's actions from a political viewpoint, but on a purely emotional level, I don't care if they never use him on the telecasts again.

And I love "Are You Ready for Some Football". But I could never enjoy him again after hearing this.

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

So. ESPN is pulling him from ONE game ?

hahahaha

That is all.

:rolleyes:

3. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I saw the Yahoo! article about this a little bit ago and I was pretty amused as well by the FOX panel's reaction. They were very taken back and definitely didn't agree with him.

I never thought I'd see the day when FOX anchors said something reasonable. (Actually, I take that back. O'Reilly on Stewart this past week was also an exception).

EDIT: @Peace: They said they were pulling it for one game (a loss in income for him, at least it's something) and will decide whether to pull it from future games based on how contrite Williams Jr. is.

4. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Uh, he may surprise us, but the guy in that video doesn't look like he's about to get all contrite.

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

But is it really a loss of income for Hank ?

I'm guessing he recorded those intro's for all MNF games already.
    Unless he gets paid per game.

6. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I concur. I don't think he'll be changing his stance, unless it means a hit for his bank account.

I was assuming that he gets paid on a per-game basis, and that he won't get paid if his recording isn't played (ex. tonight). I may be wrong, though.

7. MacHamster68, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

why he is right in a teaparty view of the wolrd at least , that picture here is pointing out the similarities quiet well or?
    [​IMG]

already Sinclair Lewis said
    “When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.”

so friends from across the pond
    read these lines carefully and think about it
    [​IMG]

8. Surely Guest

Surely

I saw the video earlier.....their reaction reminded me more of Dr. Frankenstein's reaction when he realized that he could no longer control the monster that he created.

I know that I don't want to hear that song anymore. As the thread title says, all I hear now is: "Are you ready for some Hitler?"

From what I understand after listening to them talk about this on PrimeTime Sports (Sportsnet 590 The Fan, Sirius 157), ESPN has a very strict policy with their talent about getting vocal about politics. They want everyone to watch their channel, and don't want anyone to be offended. They want sports to be politics-free.....a place where you can go to forget about the country's/world's problems. That being said, Williams isn't exactly an employee of ESPN, so it'll be interesting as to how they handle this going forward.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I used to like Hank Williams, Jr. I wonder what Hank Williams III thinks of this.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow- what a douchebag.

11. Surely Guest

Surely

Oh yeah. A super-douche.

But I'll bet he just sold out every single one of his shows in the south.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And every one in the North got canceled.

13. Surely Guest

Surely

And really, what kind of punishment is it to drop him from tonight's Monday night football game? I mean, Colts/Bucs......is anyone watching this game?:p

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Football sucks anyway, so... :)

15. Surely Guest

Surely

Misunderstood? What a ****ing douche. And I'll bet there are a ton of people out there that will believe this BS apology.

From here: http://www.tmz.com/2011/10/03/hank-...day-night-football-comment-was-misunderstood/ (My wife was browsing that site, I swear!:p)

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I don't really see the big deal, the point he was making from what I interpreted from the quote was that Obama and boehner were polar opposites, not that Obama was hitler.

Either way I think there are more important things to be worrying about.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Just what I was thinking, I bet he did it on purpose.:p

18. Surely Guest

Surely

Watch the video.

19. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

From Surely's link:

There's just so much wrong with that...where to begin?

• The comparison of polar opposites is ridiculous. Netanyahu was born 4 years after the end of WWII. Is that the way Williams thinks, really? Could it just as easily have come out, "That'd be like Winston Churchill playing golf with Vlad the Impaler"?
    • Suddenly he becomes defensive of the tea potty, although he claims to worry about the working man. Another pairing that doesn't make sense.
    • I'm not sure, in the midst of all that debt ceiling acrimony, what Williams thinks is wrong with trying to get the head of your political opposition to relax (golf game) so you can really talk, not just hurl taking points at each other.
    • I didn't see any apology in there, no "I'm sorry I said that." Just a "I was misunderstood."

20. soco macrumors 68030

soco

You don't see an apology because it's NOT AN APOLOGY!

Jesus what's wrong with you guys? He made an analogy. It was as plain to see as if I were to say the following:

Steve Jobs selling me on the benefits of Android is like Satan selling me on a vacation to Hell.

Does that mean I think Steve Jobs is Satan? No. You friggin' dolt. It doesn't. It means I compared one silly situation to another.

Get a grip and stop salivating over the opportunity to lambast someone by jumping on the bandwagon.

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Watched. It's clear the guy is a few bricks short of a load, but I don't think we can draw a "Obama is hitler" out of his rant. Even if we could what would be the point? This guy says "are you ready for some football" for a living. Who cares?

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Ignorant prick. Probably be the next Senator from Tennessee. :rolleyes:

23. Surely Guest

Surely

Seriously, I think that it's you who needs to get a grip.:rolleyes:

Who cares? Clearly you cared enough to open this thread and comment on this topic.

And another thing.....where in this thread is anyone claiming that this moron said "Obama is Hitler"? Please show me.

Speaking for myself, I just found his vitriol and utter hate for the POTUS and VPOTUS absolutely disturbing. One thing he did call them is "enemies". That's just scary.

The reason it matters is because he is representative of a group of people who actually feel this way about the rightfully elected leader of the US. You don't like his policies? Fine, but be an adult about it.

24. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

No. It would be like one of either:
    1) Satan selling me a vacation in Heaven or
    2) Jesus selling me a vacation in Hell

In any case, I understand that you're only trying to get your opinion accepted here - and that's okay. But, if I might use an analogy, that would be like the craziest, perverted, nutcase in the asylum trying to convince the decent, upstanding and thoroughly patriotic American guards that they're the crazy ones.

Don't read too much into that, btw. Just an analogy, you know.