Are you ready to die for coal?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, Aug 16, 2012.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

This guy was the featured speaker and introduced Gov. Romney at this event. It was covered live on the POTUS channel, and I was shocked by how worked up he was about coal. I pay attention to politics, and I'm not aware of a war on coal, which, by the way, is a four letter word.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It seems as if the majority of Republicans running for office are running on manufactured outrage. Don't think these are the manufacturing jobs we need.

BTW, Romney clapped enthusiastically when Mandel said that.

3. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Well, I don't think it is manufactured outrage, but the outrage of people like the Koch Brothers and a very small number of others who own and operate companies that drill or mine for oil/coal/gas. These are the constituents that the GOP seems to be fighting for.

I don't say that purely because I'm partisan, but because of the policies they are pushing. Trust me, if there are plans that Romney has that would benefit the poor and middle class, I'm more than happy to change my tune and push Obama to support them too. However, when Obama has done that, the GOP ran away and fought him.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I guess the issue is do you want coal or nuclear, we need to do something soon.

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I find it funny how the GOP is trying to say Obama is at fault of the coal industry having trouble.
    Now if we look at the facts.
    Coal is doing the best is ever done in the past 15 years.

Obama's policies are not what is hurting coal. The real fact is fraking is what is killing coal because it has caused natural gas prices to become so low and guess who is also pushing fraking (GOP) and as such they are helping kill kill coal.

Damn those little facts that the GOP seem to hate.

6. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Exactly. I don't know why macnut is pushing nukes and coal when so much nat. Gas is flowing. The game has changed in a major way these last two years.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

What is a more efficient energy producer long term, I always thought it was nuclear.

8. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Until somebody comes up with something better nuclear is, IMO, far and away the best option we've got.

9. ThisIsNotMe macrumors 68000

You don't understand.

The entire point is to create an manufactured crisis to push *change*.
    These people don't want America using as much as it does because it is "fair" to the rest of the world.
    They want to drag the US down to the level of all of the other **** hole countries in the world.

10. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Nuclear out-benefits anything else we have. It's both relatively safe and clean.

I don't want to hear anything about burning coal in a 2012 debate.

11. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

I'm not real excited about nuclear power when it's been proven that things sometimes don't go as planned and sometimes things break.

12. dime21 macrumors 6502

Coal makes around 50% of all electricity in the US today. That Macbook you're typing on now? Yeah, your battery was charged up from coal power.

Here's an awesome idea, lets eliminate this domestic resource that creates jobs, supports the domestic economy, and works in our favor for energy independence. Instead, lets invest in the future. Solyndra!

But lets not let a few facts get in the way of an angry left-wing rant. Lol.

13. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Agreed. And as far as a debate goes, especially with weighing in Nuclear, the first three things the opponents will argue are Fukushima Daiichi, Chernobyl, and 3 Mile Island, in that order.

So coal will be a loaded debate. Nuclear will be a loaded debate. Oil is a loaded debate, and natural gas will be a loaded debate as it relates to fraking.

Where are those Dilithium crystals when you need them...

BL.

14. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I'm all for another option as well, but there is nothing out there now that is a viable alternative that can produce the amount of energy we need without an ongoing negative effect to the environment.

Regulate the heck out of it and hold your nose.

15. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Do you have a cite for that angry-left wing effort to eliminate that domestic resource? Betcha your macbook that you can't find it. We are currently producing more coal than we have in over a decade. What the right wants is the ability to do it with no restrictions to protect the people or the environment.

There is no left wing conspiracy to eliminate coal. :rolleyes:

You can't regulate earthquakes, fires, tornadoes, floods, and some other unexpected disaster no one thought of. We can do everything we can to make it safe, but it's still a very dangerous solution. That being said, we can use it instead of coal until we develop things like wind, solar, geothermal, tidal, etc...

16. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Fixed.

17. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Yep when the solar/wind/water etc tech catches up then we switch to that. I'll be happy to say bb to nuclear energy too, but not yet.

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

What is this clean coal I keep hearing about, is it clean or just cleaner?

19. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

We're a long way away from that, IMO. Solar panels are expensive and are an eye sore. Wind also suffers from the eye sore problem, as well as the fact that the change in wind patterns created by those things effects the ecosystems around them. Don't know if water can ever be a legit source of power for the masses based on its limitations.

I'm not 100% comfortable with a power tech that could potentially glow in the dark, but it's honestly the best option we've got.

20. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

There are different types of coal and each has it's own properties. No coal in it's self is clean, it's the treatment of the gaseous waste that is treated, reburned and filtered.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_coal_technology

KGB:cool:

21. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

:rolleyes:

Oh no, Green Energy an eye sore. Whatever shall we do?

HTFU

22. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

It depends on the specific technology, there are systems that "wash" the coal before it's burned, others that scrub particulates and spray the flue gas with limestone and water to mitigate the sulfur dioxide, and finally, gassification which uses a chemical reaction to turn coal into "syngas" which is then burned in a turbine.

The cost per watt for solar panels has been dropping radically for years, some systems are within the $1 per watt that is largely considered the holy grail and the efficiency has gone from less than 10 percent to nearly 30.
    Also, solar panels can be deployed anywhere, including on rooftops where you'll never see the panels, or atop garages for more shaded parking. And, I disagree that they're eyesores, rather a solar array has a kind of elemental beauty to them.
    And, they are far better looking than a coal-fired power-plant.

23. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

They look better than a sky who glows bright orange at night from all the pollution reflecting light.

24. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Up until a few years ago, the choice was either coal or nuclear for baseload. Natural gas used to cost 5-6 times as much as coal so it was used for peak load only. Natural gas reservoirs were recently discovered that are supposed to be able to provide enough NG for the US for the next 100 years, so prices on the energy market shot down and it's now cost effective to use it for baseload.

So what most utilities are doing right now are phasing out coal baseload generation and replacing it with NG along with increasing renewable penetration. They're able to take advantage of the lower carbon footprint of NG, get rid of coal's high carbon footprint, and avoid all the political issues surrounding nuclear.

And clean coal is just filtering coal to remove all the emissions, which are stuck in a barrel and placed underground. Kinda like how nuclear sticks radioactive waste in a barrel underground. In both cases, if the barrel is compromised, people may die.

25. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    You've been playing Deus Ex, haven't you?