Are you selling your iPhone on Craigslist to get the 3G iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by godoggo, May 10, 2008.

1. godoggo macrumors newbie

I bought my iPhone on Craigslist for $200 9 months ago from a guy who's wife hated the phone. She told him to get rid of it so I happily took it off his hands. Just sold it now for $350 in preparation for the next model. Bought a go-phone and swapped sim cards. New go-phone was $19 bucks.

Just curious...who else is going to do the same thing to save some case for the next version?

2. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

i'm thinking about it... how hard is it to swap sims?

3. Ilovemyipod macrumors regular

Ilovemyipod

how do you even sell a phone on craigslist. im thinking bout selling my sony erricsson W580i but don't know how the whole sim card changing phone thing works.

4. godoggo thread starter macrumors newbie

Easy

The Sim card switch was easy. Just take out the sim card and place it in the go-phone. Done.

Selling was easy. Listed it and in 10 min had a buyer. 1 hr later we met up and it was done.

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yep, I'm planning on selling my iPhone on Craigslist, but not to someone that lives in Great Britain and wants to send me a "money order" for 4X the amount and wants me to ship it UPS International to their son attending University in the Fall. Sell "LOCAL" only. Just be careful of the scammers out there! :eek::eek::cool:

6. mugwump macrumors regular

-- Was the iPhone you sold on craigslist locked or unlocked?

7. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

I've been thinking about selling my iPhone (especially since it has no AT&T service right now) and then buying the new iPhone. Question - why does it matter if locked or unlocked? Anyone can easily download the software to unlock. Is being unlocked a selling point?

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'm not. I'm happy with my iPhone the way it is.

9. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

not going to sell my phone - keeping it as a backup and currently setting aside $ for the next gen

10. hondje macrumors member

I'm considering this too!

I'm considering this too: Sell my current iPhone, use my current SIM in my old RAZR and wait till the new phone comes out. Certainly, with iPhones unavailable from Apple, they are going to be in great demand. I just hope that I can sell my phone soon enough!!

I will unlock it, as it is easy, and seems to be a selling point. How much money do you think I can get out of an Refurbished Used 8GB Unlocked iPhone?

Ddub

11. Mike Coscia macrumors member

I am going to wait and see what they announce. If it is just the addition of 3g, I'll skip it and wait for the 3rd gen iphones. 3g is not enough to warrant another purchase.

12. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I am not going to get the new one just for 3G which I'd have to drive very far to be able to use anyway. But, if they will also be selling a software update for some enhancements to the existing iPhone, I will probably get that. I would certainly pay for a copy-paste facility.

13. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

I wish I could sell mine...but I have two dents in the top corners and a small scratch at the upper right of the screen =(.

I guess I could rely mostly on the tax checks this year =P.

14. amemoryoncelost macrumors 6502

Damn, I need to go in and get my phone warrantied ASAP and then either sit on it and wait or possibly sell it since it will be new. I have a 4GB model, wonder what they might give me or if they will attempt a repair(light spots on the screen). I think I'll end up letting it go and seeing what comes in June.

15. hexonxonx macrumors 601

All be keeping all my current iPhones and buying the new one as well.

16. mikelliott macrumors member

17. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

I just sold mine last night on eBay. I got $504 for it. I shipped it off today. I wanted to sell it while there was still a demand, and I am going to use this money to buy the 3G. I can't wait!

18. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

I'll likely transfer my iPhone to my wife and get the 3G iPhone for myself. She likes the iPhone, but not enough to want to pay for another one; so upgrading is a good excuse. :-D

19. godoggo thread starter macrumors newbie

It was locked, a few scratches