Are you sick of the "Would like to use your current location" and Tapatalk popups?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Aug 3, 2013.

1. TH55, Aug 3, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2013

TH55 macrumors 68030

I wish there was a way to turn them off. Popups are the worst thing about the Internet and in this case the iPhone.

2. taedouni macrumors 65816

No. I am happy that I have to give permission for a site or an app to use my current location.

3. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

I think you're confused. You don't have to give "permission". They can't do something without asking you. I'm saying it's an intrusion period.

4. B's iPhone macrumors member

B's iPhone

I definitely wish there was an option to never see another tapatalk popup.

5. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

So, to be clear, what you want is to be able to tell all websites that you never want your location used?

6. cynics macrumors G3

They are asking if you want to open location services to an app or website. I'm glad they do this instead of finding later in settings.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I think the OP just wants to be able to select something in settings to NEVER allow websites to have access to location settings. At least that is how I am reading it? If so, I could see that as being useful, I suppose.

8. cynics macrumors G3

Ahh I see. Ya that would be useful. At one time Google.com was asking me constantly, its was very obnoxious.

9. SnowDX macrumors 6502

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but assuming your using Safari as your browser, under Privacy Settings -> Location Services, you can toggle it to OFF for Safari and then Safari won't give you the popup asking about whether your location can be used anymore.

Of course web sites won't be able to use your location if you do this, but it sounds like that's what you want. Apologies if I've misunderstood.

Not sure if it's the same for other browsers since I haven't used any others enough to know how they behave with regards to location requests.

10. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I agree. I wish there was an option to turn it off after x amount of times. Every single time I go to yahoo it asks for my current location. Probably to update the weather on the page, but why can't it just remember that I have approved it!

11. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

The implementation of this is entirely down to the web browser (i.e. Safari).

12. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

No there are certain websites that I would like my location used, I just wish I could get rid of the popup. There should be a way to specify these sites.

----------

Thanks, although as I said above I would like to be able to use locations for some websites I just wish there was a way to indicate this other than via popup.

----------

Yeah tbh tapatalk is much more annoying between the two, since that is a yes or no question and once you've indicated you do not want that software it should stop asking you.

13. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

Agreed.

I would actually never use tapatalk, just because of its annoying popups.

14. peridot macrumors member

It would be really nice if Safari would remember my choice on the location popups. I'm getting tired of telling Google Maps it can use my location, but I don't want every other random website knowing it.

15. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Oh, well then I got nothing for you. I can see having to create a whitelist of sites to be a bit of a bother for the average user. I am not sure too many people would find this feature useful.