are you stuck with the data plan you choose for 2 years?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by leftofseinfeld, Sep 13, 2012.

1. leftofseinfeld macrumors newbie

Im a current T-Mobile user still using a plan I got back in 2004, so all these data plan things are new to me...

I've decided to go with AT&T so that I can read an email or look something up while talking on the phone.

If I choose the 1GB data plan with them, and I find out that its not enough for my usage, can I move up to the 4GB without any penalties?

Conversely if I go with 4GB and notice I never go over 1GB, can i downgrade without penalty?

I tried calling my local at&t store but they seem pretty slammed right now and clueless about all my questions.

2. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

With Verizon (and I'd assume AT&T is the same), the data plan is an option on your phone line. Your 2-year contract is for the phone line itself, so you can change the data side any time you want to anything you want (although I'm pretty sure having at least some kind of data plan is mandatory for a smartphone, but it just doesn't matter which data plan it is).

3. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Yes, you are just required to have a data plan. How much is all up to you.

4. dotme macrumors 6502a

Answer to both is yes. You can switch data plans with AT&T anytime, no charge.

5. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Yes

6. leftofseinfeld thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh okay, wasn't sure if this applied to the new mobile share plans too since everything is bundled.

excited to make the move to an iPhone!