Are you worried at all about the thickness of these watches?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by 2macORnot2mac, Mar 26, 2015.

1. 2macORnot2mac macrumors regular

2macORnot2mac

Anyone else worried about how thick these watches might look on you? Or is no big deal?
    I think because of it, it will steer me towards the 38 (160ish wrist size). Even though 42 looks fine with paper cutouts ;)

2. co.ag.2005 macrumors 68020

co.ag.2005

I looked at the specs of the 38mm :apple:Watch Sport online and measured the thickness of my Fitbit Charge HR... the :apple:Watch is as thick as the thickest part of my Fitbit, so I don't think it'll be an issue (since I'm already used to wearing this Fitbit). The width of the :apple:Watch compared to the Fitbit will take some getting used to, but I'm not too worried about it :)

3. Mascots macrumors 68000

Mascots

Not particularly.

It's on the thicker side for a watch, but not an unusual or nearly the thickest.

4. kovey macrumors 6502a

5. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

My Armitron analog watch is about the same 10.5 mm thickness and it feels just right for me.

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Worried? No more than finding a great pair of jeans on sale then discovering they are button fly! Maybe a tad disappointment, but no worries. If it doesn't work for me it doesn't work. Worried is for more important problems.

7. kovey macrumors 6502a

This forum is all about worrying over things that don't matter.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

9. avalys macrumors 6502

I have three watches - a Suunto Core, a Casio G-Shock Aviation, and a Swiss Army Alpnach automatic chronograph. None of these are freakishly large, they're just normal-sized watches in my opinion.

The Apple Watch is thinner than all of them.

10. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

I tried on a Moto 360.

I no longer have any size concerns about any version of the Apple watch.

11. madsci954 macrumors 68030

My current fitness tracker is 1.5 mm thinner than the Apple Watch, based off their specs. I'm not concerned.

12. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

I am surprised how chunky the watch looks in the unofficial photos trickling out since the latest Apple event.

It's not exactly "Apple-thin" is it?

13. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

It's significantly smaller than any other smart watch on the market with comparable capabilities. Some are thinner but they are enormous in other dimensions. It's as thin as the Pebble Steel which has nothing near, in capability, to the Apple Watch.

Furthermore, the design choices about where the band connects will make the watch appear even more thin than it really is when pressed up against the skin of the arm. Many people shown wearing it in hands on pics are wearing it loosely, which is only going to make it look thicker.

Slashgear may have the best shot indicating the apparent thickness and is still likely a "worst case" depiction as that watch is oversized for the arm it's on. The watch is also loose (notice the hanging band) and you will not wear it loose if you care at all about Apple Pay and HR monitoring.

14. bnorthro macrumors member

The watch I've been wearing daily for the past 4 years has a 45mm bezel and is 18.4 mm thick and weighs 145g for just the watch (no strap). The Apple watch is NOT thick at all, or even particularly large/heavy by watch standards.

15. Mascots macrumors 68000

Mascots

Whew!
     Watch will feel like a play-thing compared to that.

16. bnorthro macrumors member

Ha, yeah. Breitling Avenger Seawolf is not a small watch, thankfully I'm a big guy so it fits me.

Another thing to consider, typical watch measurements are based on the crown dia, and the actual lug-lug difference will be several mm larger than that. So my 45mm watch is probably closer to 50+mm where the bands attach. The design of the bands on the Apple Watch are pretty smart and will probably make the watch look/feel even smaller than a typical 42mm round watch...

17. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

Yeah, but all the others are way too big to start with. I accept Apple has made theirs smaller, but it's still too big, IMHO.

Wearing it loose is important to some. Either a comfort issue or fashion statement. Removing that option may cause dissatisfaction.

18. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

That's fine, but, people should know this before buying. If you are going to wear the watch loose, certain things just aren't going to work or they will work poorly. Said things include hallmark features, such as taptic engine, apple pay, and HR monitoring. Loose wearing will probably make general use of the watch much harder over all, depending on just how loose it is worn. You don't generally press around on specific areas of a regular wristwatch in regular use.

Apple doesn't have to accommodate people who don't want to wear the watch as intended. I am pretty much expecting a slew of whining posts and "news" articles about how awful this is anyway.

19. JuryDuty macrumors 6502

JuryDuty

I wouldn't say worried, but it's too bulky, I probably wouldn't wear it as much. As much as I'm a geek, I don't like to feel encumbered by tech.

20. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

If you compare it to the thickness high end watches such as Rolex, it's actually thinner than the vast majority of them.

21. betabeta macrumors 6502a

I hate wearing watches, and only did so once for a few days over 30 years ago and hated it.

So absolutely I am concerned about how I'll take to this huge thing on my wrist all day. I don't even like those wrist bands they give you at conventions or concerts:D lol

22. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Nope. Not at all. I don't think it will be a problem at all.

23. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

I completely agree with you but, in the fashion industry, "look" is a valid concern. Pretty-much the only concern.

It'll be interesting to watch how this plays out.

24. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

I have pretty big forearms so prefer a chunky watch.

25. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

You have to compare it to more than just Rolex. A lot of high-end watches are very thin indeed. It's part of the appeal.