Are Zeitgeist movies an informercial for 3rd parties?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Apr 14, 2009.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I just watched both 2 hour Zeitgeist movies, Zeitgeist and Zeitgeist Addendum and in their revolutionary, common sense theories, I heard what appeared to be Green Party and Libertarian points of view. Of course, there was also the Ron Paul plug.

The ideas presented in the movie look to an ideal we will probabaly evolve to, but most heavily criticizes the current monetary system. While I agree with the substantive points of its criticisms, those ideals will take a long time to come to fruition.

We had the civil rights movement in the late-50s to late-60s but it wasn't until 2008 that we elected an African American President. At least I lived to see that but I don't think I will live long enough to see an overhaul of the way we do commerce and use resources as presented in the movies.

Thoughts?

2. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

The films might have been a whole lot more effective if Peter Joseph had spent half as much time fact-checking as he did congratulating himself for being so clever.

3. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

The facts, or lack of them are sometimes presented as facts but are really opinion. I think the first movie was like a "blockbuster" and overstated ideas to make it interesting. That was not a great idea. The second movie was far less hyped in its assertions and took a steadier approach pointing out actual facts with citations and it had the same effect to me.

I figure the Addendum movie was an answer to the critics who compared the first movie to Micheal Moore or Ben Stein's mostly entertaining movies built on hype and opinion.

What I liked about the first movie was that it got my attention even though I know his attack on religion was weak and heavily biased. The second movie actually sought answers which made sense, and were surprisingly gradual in their approach. The second movie showed an actual game plan without being too subversive or out of one's comfort zones. Instead of a frontal assault on Jesus Christ, the second movie pinpointed the monetary/lending system's weaknesses which we all know about thanks to the massive coverage on Bernie Madoff.

I am not going to toss my Democratic Party membership just yet and vote all Green, Libertarian, or some party that is anti-globalization. I did vote Green for President but pretty much voted for one of the two parties on every proposition (GOP on one child measure and supervisor) and Democrat on other offices and all the remaining propositons on the ballot in 2008. The GOP measure went down in flames as did the Green nominee as I knew both would.

It was nice to vote my conscience on every candidate/issue. In my region the Dems won virtually everything so I was only 80% correct. ;)