Area of touchscreen no longer working on brand new 3GS - what to do

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gogf, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Gogf macrumors newbie

Hi. A section of the touch screen on the brand new 3GS I've owned for all of 5 days has suddenly stopped working entirely. To add insult to injury it's over where the keyboard shows up, so I can only send texts with about half of the alphabet until I get this fixed. What should I do? The nearest Apple store is about an hour's drive away and I don't want to go there unless it's actually going to fix the problem.

Please help - thanks!

2. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

go to the apple store..they will replace it for free...less than 30 days no questions.

...unless the water sensors are tripped..

3. iphone3gss macrumors member

Throw it in the trash.

Seriously, why do people make posts like this?

4. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Well if it is actually a hardware issue and you didn't drop your phone in a pool then the Apple store should more than likely swap it out with another one.

I haven't heard of this issue before with iPhone, with some old Palm devices I had similar problems. On those the digitizer usually became misaligned.

5. The General macrumors 601

Go directly to the Genius Bar. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

6. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

Apple Store. Make an appointment first.

If you don't want to make the drive, then you can call AppleCare. They will charge you $29 to overnight you a replacement. You mail back your phone. If they decide it does need replacing, then they will refund the $29 and you keep the replacement.

7. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

8. starstudded macrumors newbie

ur not funny. stop trying.

9. The General macrumors 601

Dane Cook isn't funny. Maybe he should stop trying too. Or perhaps he amuses himself and doesn't want to stop.

Then again, FUVM.

10. frostrambler macrumors member

My new 3GS came in two days ago, within 10 minutes a portion of the touchscreen stopped recognizing touches, I went to the Apple store and they gave me a replacement within 10 min.

11. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

I advise you to go however, erase and restore your iphone, because they are very likely going to ask you if you have done that.

12. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Dane Cook is atrocious. The only thing worse than his stand up "comedy" might be his attempts to branch out into the land of irrelevant tertiary characters in wholly forgettable movies.

13. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Why do people make posts like you? There's no reason to be rude.

14. Gogf thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. I called Apple Care and they told me to reset the phone, which I did and which did not help. They then set up an appointment with the Genius Bar for me. The Apple Store's about an hour from my house so I was a little worried that I would drive all the way out there only to have them tell me to go home and resync it or something, but they were extremely helpful and gave me a replacement phone immediately.

A word of warning to anyone else with a similar problem, though: BACK UP YOUR PHONE BEFORE YOU GO. I lost all of the data I had accumulated on my phone since the my last sync except for a photo that I managed to email to myself despite the touchscreen issues.

Apple did a great job with the customer service here, although I really do wish they had a store closer to me...