Aren't Events in iPhoto '08 Just a Fancier Film Roll?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by esaleris, Aug 13, 2007.

1. esaleris macrumors 6502

Isn't the Events feature just a fancy version of the old Film Roll? When I imported my photos into '06, I always created a new film roll for each "event." I turned on "View by Film Roll" and I had "folders" filtered by film roll title.

Am I missing something?

2. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

I didnt use iphoto06 but you are right. Apple made it seem like events is some new creation, but the filmrolls IMO were basically the same thing as events, just without a visible thumbnail.

3. Mac In School macrumors 65816

If I understand it correctly, no. A "film roll" was a batch of photos added at once from the same folder, but could have spanned many dates. An "event" is all the photos you took on a single day.

At least, that's how Stevie explained it during the press conference.

4. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

5. cornerdealy macrumors regular

it pretty much is, cause when I upgraded to 08, all my film rolls were just turned into events.

The difference is though that you couldnt rename film rolls and I think you couldnt put pictures from other rolls into different rolls.

so basically a roll was exactly like a real life film roll, you take a set of pics and they are always together (and organized by date within iphoto) and you have to organize them some other way (keywords usually) and then search for all the pics that have to do with a certain keyword but are spanned over all different film rolls.

in 08, for example, all my pictures of my pets are in one event regardless of when they were taken.

6. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Actually, you can move photos in/out of film rolls. There's a merge film roll command and I believe drag/drop works as well.

ft

EDIT - also, you can rename film rolls. You need to have the "info" box showing. Click on the little "i" button on the bottom left. When you select a Film Roll in the main window, the info box will also show the film roll's name. You can edit the name in that box.

7. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Don't forget splitting rolls or creating brand new ones (just select the pictures you want and select "Create Film Roll").

That's really no different than using keywords. Nothing to do with rolls.

8. cornerdealy macrumors regular

well, if i knew you could rename film rolls and move pictures in and out, then that woulda made the last ilife much easier for me.

So in that case, it seems that events are in fact just fancy film rolls.

Well, for me it was different because all my pics of one type were spread out amongst many different rolls, and I had to put in "pets" for example in the search and all the pics with the keyword pets would be there.

Now, I just put all the pictures of my pets into an event.

9. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

With iPhoto'06, you can use Smart Albums to accomplish this. You tag all of your pet photos with the keyword "pets". Then, you create a smart album that gathers all photos that are tagged "pets".

I haven't seen it mentioned, but is there an equivalent of Smart Albums for Events? I suppose not since Events is mainly a time-based way of sorting photos.

ft

10. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

I don't think they are the same, but for me it sums up to this: iPhoto 08 is actually worth using as opposed to iPhoto 06.