Argentina legalises gay marriage :-)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Queso, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Queso macrumors G4

This one's been expected for a while now, after several cities around the country started legalising same-sex marriage last year. Thanks to last night's vote in the Senate every major continent now has at least one country where gay couples have legal equality with straight couples.

Welcome Argentina :)

BBC News

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

AWESOME!

But once again, this country is looking to be less about freedom. We should have been leading on this, not following.

5. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

Not bad is it? Brazil will also be returning to the subject later this year. At the moment gay relationships are sort of recognised in the country anyway thanks to a Court decision, but the legislature is planning to formalise it. They are expected to take the UK option of nationally recognised legally equivalent Civil Partnerships rather than full marriage, but after Argentina's move who knows?

6. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

This is great and really makes the US look bad when it comes to being socially progressive. American is still haunted by it's misplaced puritanical values thanks to our forefathers.

It really speaks volumes when a country like Argentina which is historically roman catholic can allow same sex marriages. Yet a country that claims to be open like the US can't.

7. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

Most major countries we'd consider "Catholic" seem to be increasingly behind the equality movement. Spain, Portugal, Belgium and now Argentina all have full gay marriage, Brazil, Ecuador, Uruguay and Colombia are all moving towards full equality, and both Chile and Mexico are discussing it. The only real hold-out in Western Europe is Italy (you can't really count France which is being typically secular about its approach).

Puts the Protestant world to shame a bit really :)

8. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

Heh, will just make it harder to reban it when society realizes its mistake.
    This just makes the US look better.

9. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

Wow how very closed minded of you. I'm going to stop before i say something that gets me banned.

10. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Oh, I don't know… Netherlands, Sweden, Norway, Iceland, Belgium (50/50) is not too shabby a list.

And since we're on topic, 3rd September is my partner and myself's big day (UK). :) Venue booked, guests invited… *happy days*.
    :D
    Only took me 10 years to drag him down the aisle. ;)

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No- it makes us look stupid. Bigot.

12. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

Fantastic stuff. If you need a good photographer the guy that did ours was brilliant.

Here's his website :)

http://www.kelvinbrown.co.uk/

LOL. Best you run home. I hear the Bronze Age is missing you :D

13. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Good for Argentina! They also have Maradona so they're doing alright at the moment on my very biased country popularity list.

What I want to know is when are we going to start seeing legal partnerships for straight couples who don't believe in marriage. May sound like jumping the gun, but I really don't want to get married because of my beliefs (or lack therof) and in the UK we don't have any choice, well we do, but we don't get the same beneficial legal status. But in terms of priority I'd say there's still a lot of work to be done in getting marriage for all types of couples granted first.

Some countries, especially in the southern hemisphere are way behind the times. I think we should start sanctioning them for having ******* human rights records - sanctions do work, especially when we're feeding them and supporting them with tons of aid each year.

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Damn, I nearly crapped myself when I saw this thread. I read it as Arizona. :eek:

15. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

Technically a civil marriage and a civil partnership are identical. Now that UK civil partnerships are going to be permitted in religious locations there's absolutely no point in keeping them separate at all. I'm hoping that Cameron and Clegg can garner enough support in their respective parties to simply merge the two and have done with it.

Yeah, but at least it's fun when we beat them in The Ashes :D

16. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Troll much?

This is good news though

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Gee- maybe when we all have equal rights. :rolleyes:

18. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Unecessary comment.

19. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

I was curious about thats as well because i know some straight couples that don't want to get married. Here in the US we had common law marriages which i guess was something similar.

20. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

It is a problem here in the U.K.,many people think under common law they have rights, in fact they don't, those people run into similar problems as gay couples have for all this time, I of course realise that if they wish they could get married and until very recently gays couldn't so the discrimination is not anywhere near as bad but with 40% of children born to unmarried parents it is a problem that needs addressing.

21. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Just another reminder of how far we are behind the times here. I'm happy for Argentina though.

22. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

Not really. It takes a lot of more brains for a non-religious person to be against homosexuality than to be against it. Oh I'm not religious so if I'm against homosexuality it's just because I'm a bigot so I must just give in and accept it is just as ridiculous as Homosexuality is wrong 'cuz God/Jesus/Allah says so.

The fact that it's mostly because of religion in the US is stupid, but the end result is not. But I'm confident enough that sooner or later, probably later, most of the world will understand.

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

24. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

A lot of more brains are needed to be closed minded than open minded?

Crap, you edited before I caught your reference to creating hell on earth. Oh, the irony that was missed. (Guess we'll just have to live with the irony that is implicit in your username.)

25. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

Oh dear. On all fronts :D