Argh, resellers. Can't wait for replenished stock...

lawlbringer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
Really frustrated at the lack of stock so early on, and the seemingly endless supply for resellers. As of today, I saw some people asking for as much as $1200 for a 16gb iPhone 5... LOL. One guy was like "I'll add in an Otterbox Defender premium case for only $100 more!"

I actually was willing to deal with one guy yesterday that I was going to pay $750($100 over retail) because I was being impatient and impulsive. I told him "I'm already paying too much, so you win." We agreed to meet in broad daylight in a busy area... So what's the guy do not long after? "Oh, I have an emergency...can't meet you today."

Next day, same dude, asking for $800 firm. Go figure.

thadoggfather

macrumors G4
Oct 1, 2007
They're not that hard to get. Work harder to make it happen without paying out the arse.

Got one for everyone in my family (4, including myself).

I had a black that had annoying earpiece hiss, returned and reserved overnight a white, and it had issues so they did a retail swap on it.

All together, gotten my hands on 7 retail boxed iPhone5's.

lawlbringer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
They're not that hard to get. Work harder to make it happen without paying out the arse.

Got one for everyone in my family (4, including myself).

I had a black that had annoying earpiece hiss, returned and reserved overnight a white, and it had issues so they did a retail swap on it.

All together, gotten my hands on 7 retail boxed iPhone5's.
Through where, Apple's site?

I've been calling every morning at multiple Apples stores and Radioshack's...no dice.

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Just order it online and wait for it. I would rather wait than deal with people trying to make a quick buck reselling iPhones.

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
All the issues and returns have everything in short supply. The wife sold her's on ebay for 850. I was shocked because of all the talk of the high volume of phones. But since all of the problems that popped up it put them back in short supply I think.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Just order it online and wait for it. I would rather wait than deal with people trying to make a quick buck reselling iPhones.
^^

This.

I'm fortunate enough to have a dedicated Apple rep, and get my products ordered on launch day and delivered a day early. If this wasn't the case, I would order and wait. I sure wouldn't pay these damn rip-off jerks one cent.

AFDoc

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Really frustrated at the lack of stock so early on, and the seemingly endless supply for resellers. As of today, I saw some people asking for as much as $1200 for a 16gb iPhone 5... LOL. One guy was like "I'll add in an Otterbox Defender premium case for only $100 more!"

I actually was willing to deal with one guy yesterday that I was going to pay $750($100 over retail) because I was being impatient and impulsive. I told him "I'm already paying too much, so you win." We agreed to meet in broad daylight in a busy area... So what's the guy do not long after? "Oh, I have an emergency...can't meet you today."

I got a black 32g coming in tmr I'll sell to you for 1k, LMK. ;)

aleni

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2006
i bought my iPhone 5 (64GB white) from a scalper for $1200. it's worth it :D

snook911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Yorba Linda, CA

Don't pay more then retail if your in the US. Just order it from Apple.com and wait it out. I put mine up on ebay for $1,150 but I am not looking to sell it to someone in the US. I would think somewhere the iPhone has not been released yet might pay that much though.

kthnxshwn

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Just check after 10PM EST/1AM EST on Apple's site to see if you can reserve one at an Apple Store for pick up. I did it last Tuesday and got it the same day.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
i have a 4S and my wife has the 5

trust me, it's not that big of an upgrade. only reason i'm probably going to buy one is that i want everyone on my family account to have the same contract start and end times. not split up like now

thadoggfather

macrumors G4
Oct 1, 2007
Do you have to be upgrade eligible for that? I'm not, and it won't let me proceed unless I am or open another account. :(

seems to be that way.

I can't access it anymore either since I used my upgrade to get the iPhone 5 that's right next to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.