Argument against death penalty: Henry McCollum

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aerok, Sep 3, 2014.

1. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Forced confession with no physical evidence...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29039964

2. zin macrumors 6502

I'm sure the pro-deathers will spin this to attempt to continue justifying their barbaric practice.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Tons of arguments against the DP. Plenty of dirty cops just looking to nail someone is good enough reason to get rid of it

4. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

umm maybe is an argument for the death penalty for cases before DNA. I'm all for opening up the cases before DNA that requests them. I'm not pro DP nor against.

5. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Isn't it about money in most cases? A defendant found guilty would somehow have to raise the funds to submit for DNA testing - it's not like the prosecution is going to do it. And it's not like millionaires are getting put away in these instances.

I know the Innocence Project has been vital in this area, but they can only help so many people.

And then there are cases with no DNA evidence. Take the West Memphis guys for example. The only thing that got them convicted was a false confession. There was no DNA evidence to make a clear cut argument against their guilt. If not for the original documentary, which led to supporters with deep pockets those guys would still be in jail - one on death row.

6. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

I hope that justice department, along with the town, are now going to bankroll the rest of their lives for them. It's the least they could do after wrecking their lives up to this point.

7. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Nothing to spin. With DNA you have a 99.999999999% confirmation that your GUILTY. I say execute away.

----------

If there is DNA at the crime scene that should be required to get confirmation from the suspect before a death penalty is issued unless other positive evidence like witnesses or video to confirm guilt. If there is none of that I would agree that the death penalty should not be used.

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Two black men, hard to imagine... :rolleyes:

There are different reasons to be against the Death Penalty.

1. Failure of The Legal System.
    2. Moral.

Reason number 1 eradicated my confidence in the State's right to execute. Some people believe if Reason 1 can be corrected, then the Death Penalty is justified. However, philosophically, if we want to claim we are better than murders, we have to actually act better than they do.

9. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I can imagine the death penalty will go back to SCOTUS again at some point in the future.

10. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

Has this happened before?

What usually happens to innocent people that were put in jail incorrectly?

It would be an insult if they just received enough help the first year and then were left on their own. Their whole life was destroyed, they should receive enough to have a middle-class life for the rest of their lives, IMO.

11. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

IMO they should be financially supported for the remainder of their lives. $100k per year should do nicely.

12. edk99 macrumors 6502a

1. New sciences and technology will clear that up to be 100% certain.
    2. Moral. LOL you support abortion right? Some moral you have :rolleyes:

13. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

It seems like you're depending way too much on DNA evidence. This may be a symptom of too many CSI tv shows.

In reality, what percentage of cases that go to trial have usable DNA? False confessions, questionable eyewitness evidence, and the like are what keeps putting innocent men / women in jail. DNA can only do so much.

14. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

No, you have 99.999999999% confidence that a particular sample matches a specific person. It says nothing about guilt.

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

This is off topic and I don't plan on getting into an extended conversation about abortion in this thread. Here is my only response and then back on topic.

And you believe in "freedom", except in the bedroom, right? ;) It also appears that from conservative corners there is insistence on the right of a fetus to be born, but not give a hoot to what happens to it afterwards. The point is that morality is based on the individual standards. I can disagree with your morality and vice a versa.

I believe that the mother has dominion over the fetus's life as long as the fetus is not viable on its own (without substantial technology involved). It's her body and her future child. It should be between her and her doctor, not society. And belief in "Choice", does not mean I would necessarily choose this for myself. It would depend. I am against using abortion as birth control as a matter of habit and believe there should be a cutoff date where abortion is no longer allowed. I fully support the morning after pill which is not abortion.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

how much crap was also planted or made up? there are too many reasons NOT to have the DP anymore.

17. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Seems that everyone is missing a major detail… Henry McCollum wasn't executed. Our system worked and he was released. Had he been sentenced to Life in Prison, what would have been different? He'd have still served a bunch of years in prison. There are many people who serve sentences for crimes that they didn't commit. There are also people who get away with crimes and never serve a day.

The fact still remains that Henry Lee McCollum was NOT executed.

18. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

L-O-L, thanks for this mornings chuckle. I'm sure you'd feel the same if it had been you. :rolleyes:
    Or is this more of your brand of trolling?

19. aerok thread starter macrumors 65816

aerok

The fact still remains that he WAS to be executed.

And unfortunately, convicts have no right to have a DNA tests

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=7872894

Not all cases can go back to DNA testing

https://www.aclu.org/capital-punishment/dna-testing-and-death-penalty

He might not have been executed but can you imagine living decades in a cell thinking you will die in front of an audience for a crime you did not commit?

----------

Also important to point out:

http://www.innocenceproject.org/Content/DNA_Exonerations_Nationwide.php

Not all of them were on death row but you do see a bias against African Americans for the number of wrongfully convicted people.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Only in your world can an innocent man, sentenced to death and 30 years in jail be classified as the system worked.

21. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

Seeing how the ratio of black vs white people being incarcerated for crimes seems to be along those lines (even higher) as well, I think this is expected.

22. aerok thread starter macrumors 65816

aerok

Well the exonerated is actually much higher the incarceration rate

199/317=63%

It is just much easier to incarcerate (wrong or right) black people.

23. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Giving him a life sentence wouldn't have changed this injustice, would it? If we had done it the liberal way, and sentenced him to life in prison would anything have been different. Please answer that simple question? I'll tell you what would have been different, he wouldn't have had so many people working to try and exonerate him. The only reason the left cares about this case is because he was given a death sentence. If he'd been given a life sentence, he'd still be in prison.

Nope, I'd be very unhappy. And I'd be just as unhappy if I was serving a life sentence for a crime that I didn't commit.

If he had been sentenced to life in prison, we'd never heard anything else about it. He'd have died old and incarcerated. The fact remains that if you commit a murder and are found guilty, you have more chance of dying of old age than of being executed.

24. aerok thread starter macrumors 65816

aerok

Are you saying that emotionally you would feel the same being put on deathrow versus LWOP?

If that's so, what would be point of having DP then? It only costs more than LWOP and apparently does not cause more anguish to the convicted. Not only that, it also prolongs suffering for victims:

http://www.deathpenalty.org/article.php?id=56

25. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Death Row is just another part of the prison. He was incarcerated 30 years. Rightly or wrongly, it's home. Truthfully, does it matter what cell block you are in?

I don't know about other states but in Georgia, the Death Row inmates (all except one) are housed at the prison in Jackson, GA. I've seen it. The inmates are allowed outside in small groups. They play basketball. They all have individual cells rather than having to share, as the rest of the prison population has to do. Only two cell blocks are air conditioned at GDCP, Death Row is one of them. I'm not saying that I'd want to be there, but it's just another part of the prison.

They don't keep the electric chair in the middle of the cell block to remind them that they could be executed. The truth is that most of the inmates on Georgia's Death Row will not die from lethal injection. There are 86 inmates currently on Georgia's Death Row. The state only executed one thus far in 2014. Many will get a commutation. Some will win an appeal. Some will die of other things.