Argument

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Simgar988, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

The inate want to argue has probably progressed humanity more than anything else. People disagree, discover, disagree, and discover time and time again. I have really grown to respect argument and I find myself actively trying to engage in arguments of any sort. This is because I want to learn.

Argument, what a beautiful form of interation! Being immersed in thought, sending and recieving, using logic and tolerance to step into the shoes of the counter argument, you feel so much. You absorb so much, you learn so much, but most of all you learn about You.

I will admit, although I understand my love for self-discovery through argument, there is a distraction. Though, it is small, it is there - the desire to win. I absolutely love cometition, but often have to remind myself that it has no place in argument. When both argue in the interest of learning, both parties win, but if even only one argues with the intention to win, the argument will be spoiled for both parties.

I just felt it important to remind myself this, and while I was reminding myself, I felt it was important to share it. To remind everyone while where here in the first place.

*I hope that you take a second to reflect and ask why you argue. Reflect now and reflect often, most importantly, reflect while you argue.*

I know I must do this often, and if I do this I know I will become a better person.

2. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

What agrees with our mental picture of our self, our ego, we love and seek to associate with it.

What disagrees with our mental picture of our self, our ego, we hate and seek to push it away.

Both are delusional.

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Argument, for it's own sake, is a waste of time.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

For what sake are we participating in this forum?

For me, I just like to chat.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I like the journey of discover that is dialogue. It's fun to express your ideas, and have others do the same.

7. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

8. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

9. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about. —Miguel de Unamuno

10. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

You vacuous toffee-nosed malodorous pervert!

Oh I'm sorry, this is Abuse.
    :D

12. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

I am just glad to live in an age where an individuals logical argument doesn't lead to me getting nailed to two pieces of wood, tied to a stake and lit on fire, etc....well at least in most countries

13. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

+1

14. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

There is a difference between dialectics where to goal is to further knowledge and debate where the goal is to have one idea prevail over another.

15. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

I disagree. Well, I agree somewhat... I think for some people this is exactly true, but for others they can benefit from both. For me personally, I 'argue' for many reasons.

1. to learn
    2. for the challenge/fun
    3. to question my own worldview and strengthen or weaken it accordingly. 'Strong opinions, weakly held' sort of thing

They aren't mutually exclusive. You can be in the argument to 'win' (as this becomes a measure of the quality of the argument) and at the same time be in the argument to learn and question your own worldview. All can be accomplished simultaneously.

16. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

And I thought it was just for the right royal rogering you get when you're proved wrong, as you invariably are.

KGB:D

17. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

If it ever happens, I'll let you know! :cool: ;)