Arizona GOP bill lets employers inquire about your sex life, but only for women

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by likemyorbs, Mar 15, 2012.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

As if the presidential election of 2012 wasn't already a sealed deal for Obama, the conservatives are still out in full force making sure females don't vote for them. The newest battlefield in the GOP war against women is in the beautiful state of Arizona, where a senate committee is sponsoring a bill that would allow employers to ask why you're on the pill, whether it's for sexual or non-sexual medical reasons. The really sad part is this bill was created by a woman. Well, so much for the party of "keeping the gub'ment outta our lives".

Link

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

3. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I guess they figured since they're losing the war on gay rights and attacking blacks isn't politically correct anymore, they decided to try and recycle the scapegoating of women.

4. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

Sounds fair.

5. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

So if hiring colored folk is against an employer's religion, should they be allowed to break federal law?

6. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

That is absolutely insane. It just goes to show how many lawmakers are out of touch with the American public.

People don't want the government's prying eyes in their bedrooms and the USSC has repeatedly affirmed this.

7. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Colored folk?

8. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I am going to put forward a couple of arguments (The "I" in them is not me). Tell me if they're fair.

• Pregnancy is a lifestyle choice, not a medical condition. As an employer I feel strongly that I shouldn't have to pay for medical treatment for a self-inflicted condition.
    • I am a Jehovah's Witnesses. I feel strongly that the Bible forbids ingesting human blood, so it forbids blood transfusions. As an employer I reserve the right to refuse to pay for medical insurance that includes the possibility of blood transfusions for my employees.

9. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

“I believe we live in America. We don’t live in the Soviet Union,” Lesko said. “So, government should not be telling the organizations or mom and pop employers to do something against their moral beliefs.”

You just can't make this stuff up!

Irony much?

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That's how these people think though. It's unreal.

11. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

For anyone who missed the above referenced irony, the Soviet Union dissolved on December 26, 1991.

My underscore.

Dale

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Problem is that it only fair in theory. Realty has shown time and time again companies will use this as an excuse to cut off paying any insurance and in turn save money while screwing the employees.

Hell it not even fair in theory because it allows one to push their beliefs onto another person. That is far from fair and goes against what this country is built on.

13. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

It's the Arizona legislature, at this point they're willing to gin up any kind of bill that fits into current conservative ideology. Contraceptives are bad, so the AZ Leg is ready to start screwing around with the medical decisions of individuals while protecting the psuedo-morality of employers. Then they call it freedom.

It's entirely unsurprising to me that Lesko pushed for this, she's pandering to a staunchly conservative base in Maricopa.

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Insane. There is an assault against women's rights going on and that's not hyperbole.

15. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Where are the libertarians? Are you not outraged at this infringement on a persons liberty?

16. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Just loggin in for a few minutes to get my dose of republiweird. I wasn't let down.

17. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Just using some old fashioned 60's terminology when i talk about old fashioned and outdated people.

No, they're only outraged when democrats infringe on their liberties.

18. eric/ Guest

eric/

Please. Please somebody get rid of religion. Wake these people up.

19. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Most of the people who I know who claim to be libertarians support state rights, so my guess is that they aren't complaining because it's coming from a state legislature, not Congress, and there aren't many actual libertarians who are against all government interference...

20. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Exactly this.

Viewing this from across the Pond, I am daily more unnerved by the sheer insanity of the world view of these people. They are deranged. And their hatred of women, blacks, gays, and anyone who - by definition - differs from the ideal white heterosexual male paterfamilias ideal, basically, their hatred of those who decline to be put back into the segmented and segregated and concealed social boxes of their idealised 1950s universe, seems to know no bounds. Deeply disturbing.

21. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

It is quite disturbing, but what you're seeing is desperate attempts to identify with some extremist sect of the voting base in hopes of winning the 2012 elections. Unfortunately for them, they're alienating themselves from most Americans. Personally, i've never met anyone in real life who feels this way, i just read about them on the internet. Might have something to do with the fact that i live in NJ and these types of views don't fly here.

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

What about women?

Can fundamentalist Muslims choose not to hire women?

----------

They are both medical conditions.

If you wanted to boil it down to a general rule ... your personal philosophy should not infringe my right to access medical care.

23. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I'm glad you agree with me - I was putting those ridiculous arguments forward to show that this round of republican attacks on women's health issues has nothing to do with freedom of speech and conscience. (I am not a Jehovah's Witness, and I'm glad pregnancy is covered under our health insurance, otherwise my wife and I would have been out a lot of money when our kids were born.)

24. bruinsrme, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012

bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Anyone know how much a months supply costs?

Never mind. My wife says we pay a $20 copayment

If insurance didn't cover it or no insurance at all, it would cost $40 at the pharmacy we use and less than $20 at Walmart

25. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

For anyone with half a lick of sense it illustrates why the GOP should be no where near elected office... What does it take to convince the idiots who vote them, that they are idiots?