Arizona law states: Annoy someone on the internet and go to Jail!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by barkomatic, Apr 3, 2012.

1. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Arizona does it again. This time, a very broadly worded piece of legislation, House Bill 2549, basically makes it illegal to "annoy or offend" someone on the internet or use "obscene, lewd or profane" language.

The law was intended to stop bullying, but in so doing pretty much ends free speech once and for all. If someone reads a post here on Macrumors in Arizona that offends or annoys someone there--the original poster could serve prison time.

I can't imagine this law will stand long, just shocked at how much some legislators want to completely shut down free speech in order to satisfy the current national outrage over bullying.

http://gizmodo.com/5898585/itll-soon-be-illegal-to-troll-in-arizona?tag=censorship

I thought I'd post this before the law is signed, making the political discussion forum here essentially illegal. What do you think?

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

If they would drop the annoy/offend part it would be a good law that is long long over due.

3. barkomatic thread starter macrumors 68040

Even the rest of it is subjective. That's the problem with laws that try to regulate speech.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

WTF? So basically you could not use the internet anymore without going to jail. This is ridiculous.

5. chris200x9 macrumors 6502a

6. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Are you sure that somebody didn't get their days mixed up and think it's still April 1st? I know Arizona is crazy, but are they really that crazy?

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Why? Because this is the first time their government has done something idiotic? Seems to be a pattern.

9. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Arizona forum members will be required to use a red letter "A" avatar so we know who is worth reporting.

10. fox10078 macrumors 6502

fox10078

Wirelessly posted

Stuff like this is why I hate that state, you have a nutcase legislator and courput enough cops to enforce their laws.

11. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Just seems slightly more idiotic than most of what they do, although I wouldn't put it past them.

12. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

The entire law is an exercise in censorship. There's no place for that in a free society.

13. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

You mean they're gonna make bullying illegal?? :eek:

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Free speech does not mean you are allowed to threaten or insult another person.
    Aka bullying should be made against the law and have some massive punishment. At hate crime leave in my book.

15. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

You have me curious. How would you define bullying for such a law? I'm not setting you up for anything. Just curious how, in a sentence or two, you would legally describe/define bullying.

16. barkomatic thread starter macrumors 68040

The law does not define any of the terms it uses at all, therefore they are subject to the interpretation of anyone. What does "terrify", "intimidate", or "harass" mean when its a written word on a public internet forum?

If someone on a forum makes a joke about people with big noses, and someone who thinks their nose is big reads it and cries, then that person could claim harassment or intimidation and have the poster jailed. Does that sound like a rational approach to the problem of bullying?

17. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

There is a reason the GOP candidates for President won't be spending a lot of money in Arizona. It's because the state is full of people who think like this.

Why? Does warm weather make you stupid? Are senile people more likely to vote Republican? Is there a reason people who subsist on Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid support a party that wants them to live a life of meager subsistence far worse than they do now?

(edit) Or more likely, are white people that scared of brown people?

18. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

good question. We have had enough threads on bullying and harrassing over the internet that have pushed people to sucuided. Laws to protect those who are being bullied are LONG LONG over due. It should be pushed to much stiffer punishment. The current laws need some massive rewriting to address the internet side of things.

Yes it may be poorly worded but stuff like this is long long over due.

19. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Well no, you are allowed to insult others. In fact, you're even allowed to threaten someone if the threat is a perfectly legal action.

What isn't allowed is an illegal threat. So, "I'm going to shoot you if you don't do X" is clearly not protected by free speech because you're threatening a crime. However, "I'm going to pull my public support unless you do X" is perfectly protected.

20. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Guess anyone from Arizona should avoid PRSI for now on.

21. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Short answer yes. Long answer, I'm not about other state legislatures, but Ariz. has a habit of introducing utterly vague legislation and then narrowing down the language through the committee process.

The current reading doesn't define stalking, which the rest of the idea hangs on, so at the very least, they'll have to define this within the statute.

And, while Arizona's legislation is endlessly entertaining, keep in mind that most of these proposals fail to pass through to the governor.

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

A Scarlet Letter? How quaint. :p

23. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well I'd be ****ed. I annoy people all of the time. It's kind of my job.

24. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

An avocation we both share. ;)

25. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

At least it was Arizona. If it was Florida, you'd be able to shoot the offender.