Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LIVEFRMNYC, Feb 21, 2014.

1. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

You got to love how Republicans only care about their rights and no one else's.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/21/us/arizona-anti-gay-bill/

2. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Now a non-christian can discriminate against christians based on their religious beliefs and see how they like being discriminated solely because they are christian.

Only upside I can think of...... Though they already think they are being discriminated against if they didn't have this bill... So maybe there isn't an upside.....

3. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

All these "my rights" fools go to open a business and then don't want to serve customers?

So their business fails and they end up working in McD's serving anyone who comes to the counter because their boss says so and because... that's what works.

Amazing how many states with rightwing-heavy legislatures are doing this copycat legislation. Must have been in the talking points at some RNC briefings.

4. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Somehow I think a group like ALEC is involved. The Ariz. bill is close to Kansas' failed legislation.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

One restaurant owner with the right idea. Were it me, my sign would read, "We reserve the tight to refuse service to bigoted Christians".

[​IMG]

6. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

This is gonna end up being challenged and getting overturned by the Supreme Court just like "separate but equal" did.

7. zin macrumors 6502

The United States - one of few places where discriminating is considered freedom.

8. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

All the stupid people think it is, which is pretty much most of my family and friends.

There is no upside to discrimination. Ever.

9. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Oh come on! Discrimination let's the hater feel all proud and superior, just like Christ taught.

:rolleyes:

10. steve knight, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014

steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill

Certain christians have to feel persecuted as it makes them think they are true Christians. But in realty Christians are the ones doing most of the persecuting.

11. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

Jesus dealt with prostitutes/tax collectors/lepers, HOW do some get to claim "religious beliefs" here? I don;t get it

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The key word in your question is claim. They can claim religion all they want but let's get real, this is bigotry, plain and simple.

13. steve knight, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2014

steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

one of the better responses to the crap of a law.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/diana-butler-bass/jan-brewer-religious-freedom_b_4831799.html

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Former Bush Strategist: Anti-LGBT Law Uses Christianity Like Muslim Terrorists Use Islam

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/former-b...hristianity-like-muslim-terrorists-use-islam/

15. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

The law is too large. The governor should veto it.

The only thing such as this that I could get behind is a law protecting people who merely wish not to participate in a SSM, namely wedding photographers, ministers, caterers and such.

But no one should be able to prevent someone from patronizing a business solely because of who they are or who they love.

16. chown33 macrumors 604

Ministers can already refuse to participate. No law needs to specifically exempt ministers (or priests, rabbis, imams, etc.), because they're already exempt.

As I have previously pointed out:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_accommodations
    Within US law, public accommodations are generally defined as entities, both public and private (thus treating private business enterprises as if they were part of the government), that are used by the public. Examples include retail stores, rental establishments and service establishments, as well as educational institutions, recreation facilities and service centers. Private clubs and religious institutions are exempt. Public accommodation must be handicap-accessible and must not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, or national origin.[1][2]

If you don't qualify as a private club or religious institution, AND you accept business from the general public, THEN you are acting as a public accommodation and civil rights laws apply to you.

17. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

If the wedding is non-religious, I don't see why they should be able to deny their services either.

18. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I should clarify my stance here too. I don't think this has to be a religious objection. I just think business owners should be able to refuse work without needing to provide reason or fear prosecution.

Else what is there to prevent a gay couple from raising a discrimination claim (and the investigation that goes along with it) if a photographer wants to take a vacation during the time the couple requests?

19. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

They can't deny service based on race, gender, etc already. Sexual orientation should be included.

Want to cover yourself from that vacation situation? Put it in their planner to show to the gay couple. And have that planner verified by a witness( fellow employee, etc) to ensure the person didn't just write it in as an excuse to deny their service to the gay couple.

20. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

And if you're a freelancer who doesn't have employees?

21. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Any political body that wastes it's time promoting religion based laws (for any religion) should be impeached for dereliction of duty.

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

"Acting in good faith" has become passé.

There are oxes to be gored. :p

23. pdjudd macrumors 601

We already have laws that prohibit discriminating against protected classes (of which should include homosexuals since this proves that they are being targeted for discrimination and thus should be protected). The rules of business in general are, if you serve the public, you ought to accept the public - and that is all of it unless you have a specific reason. Sorry, I refuse to accept religion as a basis of discrimination unless your business is solely a religious organization or another private business.

The only way is to bite your tongue and serve the public and not discriminate.

24. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

That doesn't answer the question.

What about if you're just otherwise engaged, and not discriminating. Do you expect these folks to have to defend themselves against lawsuits?

25. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Is there currently a problem of people suing after being denied service for the above stated reason? Being "otherwise engaged" is not discrimination. Showing a pattern of refusing service to a protected class of the population is.

Personally, I can't imagine a scenario where a discrimination lawsuit filed against someone otherwise engaged on a specific date would be successful. How would that even work?