Arizona: OK to bring gun into bar, but if you do, then don't drink...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LizKat, Jul 14, 2009.

1. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Seriously. Arizona just passed a few new laws related to firearms. One of them says concealed permit holders can now legally bring their handgun into bars or restaurants that serve alcohol (as long as the bar has not opted out by putting up a sign next to the liquor license, unless the sign has fallen down in which case the opt-out is invalidated). But, mind you, it's not OK to drink in there while carrying a weapon. Wait.. what?

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-07-13-arizona-guns_N.htm[/indent]
    One of their other new gun laws says it will now be OK, if you feel threatened, to indicate that you're carrying a weapon, without violating existing statutes on intimidation, but only in instances of self-defense. Imagine the court cases lining up behind that ball of wax.​

2. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

If the weapon is concealed how will the bar staff know not to serve them?

3. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Meanwhile, our state legislature has not been able to pass a functional budget. But they made sure that this bill was passed. Typical of this state.

I hope the restaurants I frequent disallow weapons to be carried in, otherwise I'm going to stop going.

4. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Second Amendment. Thank you.

When bars become gun free zones like schools then they should think twice about this.

5. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

They won't, but that's the whole point anyway. They couldn't have allowed those carrying to openly drink, but since the weapons are concealed anyway, there is no clear way of knowing if someone has a gun on them or not. It's just a roundabout way of allowed all patrons of bars to drink without explicitly saying so in the law.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you can carry at my school

7. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Bingo. Open loophole, drive truck through it.

btw if you carry a weapon openly on belt or holstered in view (legal in AZ) then you still are not allowed to go in the bar with it. Now THAT guy the bartender could see potential trouble coming, but whether he would serve him or not is a good question. "Hey you can't come in here sporting that sidearm, pal."

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

if you carry a firearm openly in public, thats illegal as it no longer concealed

9. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

10. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

That pissed me off. The legislators allowed the budget negotiations to run over two extra days, but they had plenty of time to pass picayune bills like this one.

11. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

12. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

Hardly. Arizona is an "open carry" state, meaning that you can legally carry a firearm unconcealed without a permit in public. It is concealed carry which is illegal without a permit.

Some cities and municipalities may have ordinances reversing this, but at the state level it is legal.

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

my mistake

14. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Wasn't this also after the Senate leadership said they wouldn't give any consideration to any non-budget bills as well?

This entire session has been a joke.

15. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

Yeah, it seems a little silly to waste time on a bill like this when you've got a budget to pass...

While I won't say it's a bad thing, it's probably not a priority.

16. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Open loophole? Are you kidding? It's called breaking the law, not bending rules. I have a car. I have alcohol. I'm not supposed to mix both. I guess it's an open loophole that I own both. Oh no.

17. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The timing was the worst part, but I'm not sure what good this bill does. Best case scenario, a C&C gun owner will be ejected from the bar for either consuming alcohol or for some other offense if the bar owner wants to and it's just made it more difficult for bouncers to refuse entry to people they deem to be problematic.

It's a bill that creates lawsuits.

18. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Even if it's 100 alcohol induced bar shootings to 1 act of self-defense this will still be lauded by young males. American and their love of weapons.

19. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Not quite the same thing. This was purposefully creating a loopholed-law to fit the Arizona custom. Used to be illegal to be in there with the concealed weapon. Presumably you were in there to drink. Now it's legal to be in there with the concealed weapon. Presumably you are in there to drink. Don't ask, don't tell...

20. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I expect this is a little like asking how the bar staff is supposed to know a particular patron arrived in a car instead of a taxi. If they know, they've got a certain responsibility, but the law doesn't oblige them to know. If you're drunk enough to draw police attention to yourself and they find you have a firearm, then you're in trouble.

Don't interpret this as any conclusion on my part about the law itself. I just think this is probably the answer to your question.

21. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Remind me to to stay on the North Side of the Grand Canyon Rim when doing tourism around AZ. ;)

So, open weapon not-allowed in bars, but a concealed weapon is. That just seems so bass ackwards to me.

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I don't have a problem with it, my friend who owns a bar carries all night, frequent place for robberies.

23. Desertrat macrumors newbie

it5five, I suggest not worrying about it. A buddy of mine walked into a bar in Wyoming and was startled to see folks drinking while doing the open-carry thing. He asked around about the deal, and the general attitude was, "Aw, no problem..."

In Texas, you can carry via CHL into a bar and drink, so long as the bar has not posted signage against the carrying. So far, there have been no problems.

Both the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and the Texa Department of Public Safety have publicly stated that of all identifiable groups, CHL people have very much the lowest arrest rate of all the citizenry.

Hey, I'm certified by my local sheriff and the FBI as being a good guy. Can you say that? :)

'Rat

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm all for gun ownership and legal carry laws, but anyone who takes a gun into a bar is asking for trouble. I'm sorry- that's just not a good idea. It's plain stupid.