Arizona prisons ban book that's critical of justice system

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, May 23, 2019.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Arizona's corrections department prohibits inmates from receiving publications that contain any depictions or descriptions that would incite or facilitate a riot, a resistance or stopping work. They also can't contain pictures, illustrations or text that encourage "unacceptable sexual or hostile behaviors." Any publications with sexually explicit material or sexual representations of inmates and law enforcement also are not permitted.

Corrections spokesman Andrew Wilder said the department had not yet received the ACLU's letter asking for the ban to be reversed and declined further comment Monday.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1008686?

I’m going to assume there’s no bad intentions here but it still seems dumb. As far as I’m aware there isn’t an epidemic of inmates rioting in prison because of the books they’re reading.

2. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Some inmates aren't aware they are in prison until they read a book about it. Then they get mad and could start turning to crime.

3. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Forcing them to read stuff like Kim Kardashian's bio instead of more serious/controversial books could be part of the punishment.

4. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

That would unconstitutional. It's a direct violation of the Eighth Amendment as it is both cruel and unusual.:p

5. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

yeah, I'd rather get the chair.

6. missbing macrumors 6502

missbing

I don't agree with this law, but this isn't new and I'm sure a lot of states have these laws. I wonder why the ACLU is just focusing on Arizona. Here are some books that Michigan disallows:

Vocal Leadership: 7 minutes a Day to Communication Mastery
    People Skills: Idiots Guide As Easy As It Gets
    The Art of Friendship
    Basically any book on how to be a leader
    Books on starting non profits