Arizona school won't play ballgame against team with girl

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, May 14, 2012.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Facepalm. Just facepalm.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/arizona-school-wont-play-ballgame-against-team-girl-033001880--mlb.html

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

In short, They don't want to play a team who has a girl in their roster because they are afraid they will get beat by a team who has a girl in their roster.

BL.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Not really. More of a school ideology vs afraid to lose

4. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

"Teaching our boys to treat ladies with deference … instill in our boys a profound respect for women and girls."

Yes, because women just love being put on a pedestal by white knights who act unworthy. Even assuming this isn't complete BS covering up the traditional "barefoot in the kitchen" disrespect for women, at least the Catholics are consistent in doing their part to ensure nobody who believes what they say gets laid, ever.

5. rdowns, May 14, 2012
    Last edited: May 14, 2012

rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Ideology? Oh, you mean misogyny.

More info here

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

That's a pretty damn peculiar way of showing it.

7. Happybunny macrumors 68000

After reading that all I can say is OMG.:eek: This is 2012.

8. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I reckon every other team in their league should add a girl or two to their side. We'll see how long Our Lady of Sorrows' 'deference' and 'respect for proper boundaries' holds up when their team is having to forfeit every game.

9. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Indeed.

This is a stupid outlook. I have been faced with it many times growing up because I took Taekwondo with boys and girls. A few of the boys were really weird about sparring with me and the other girl that was there regularly. Finally I asked one of them why (since we were evenly matched) and he said he didn't want to hurt me. I was insulted and told him to give it his best shot. We sparred, he lost spectacularly.

I think this is another part of what's going on. Misogyny but also boys afraid of losing to girls.

10. shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

Rule number one: "Never underestimate your opponent."

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

It's probably misogynistic, but I was taught the same thing and I'd probably have to take a good shot or two before I stopped pulling my punches.

13. hafr macrumors 68030

Does anyone know what they mean with "proper boundaries"?

14. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

You grow up like me being told to respect and never hit women and it goes against every instinct to play football or any sort of rough sport with women. Besides, aren't there women's leagues? I know this is a tired argument but if a woman can play in a male league can a male play in the female league? Or does this work only one way?

15. remmy macrumors 6502a

Depends on the rules of the sport. The league in this example probably has no strict rule on gender. So it is not a case of a woman playing in a male only league.

16. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

For what it's worth, many years ago our school drafted my brother Cheese Cake into the netball team for inter-school matches, he was the only boy participating. A few eyebrows were raised but there was nothing to prevent him taking part rules wise.

On the other side of the coin, Mrs Cake played for her school football team and was the only girl to do so. It did provoke an official letter of complaint, albeit from the mother of the boy whose place she took. :D

The Cakes = striking blows for gender equality all over the shop.

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Not really, it's totally subjective, and the goal-posts are always moved anyway.

18. citizenzen Suspended

I just heard on the radio this afternoon that a court ruled a male student must be allowed to play on the women's field hockey team.

Cool.

So the answer to your question is no, it doesn't only work one way ...

19. iBlue, May 15, 2012
    Last edited: May 15, 2012

iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

No kidding. I found it very rude that someone who had as much training and rank as I had would act as though I wasn't a worthy opponent. Also, worried about hurting me? This is sparring, not a death match. I think he and a few others were just insecure/confused teenagers. It wasn't a big problem but I noticed it here and there.

I'm sure a lot of that attitude is ingrained, perhaps innocently. I always attended a co-ed class so there was no rule about separating genders.

In a mixed martial arts class (where we get more practice than the kick-centric taekwondo) one one of the other "don't want to spar with a girl" guys actually seemed to like throwing harder punches than is typically considered acceptable. I think he wanted me to complain, maybe to prove some imaginary point of his. I never said a word. The instructor noticed eventually and called him out on it. Embarrassing day.

There are single-gender martial arts classes though, I just never went to one of those. I vaguely recall my reasons being a higher quality and variety of class.

In some sports I can understand the reasons behind separating men and women. I just think in general it's a better idea to judge a person on their individual merit.

20. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

A win's a win.

Take it and move on and keep winning. That's the best way to show the other team they were wrong.

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

More church craziness

http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/32...on-leaves-church-softball-team-without-league

22. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I'd just like to say that this old bunny would just love to play, with the Cheerleaders [​IMG]

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Unfortunately, few of us can chose the manner of our passing, but this would be a good one. :D

24. splitpea macrumors 6502a

There aren't women's baseball leagues. Softball is a similar sport but not the same.

And I still don't get why people are taught not to hit women but aren't taught not to hit men.

25. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

I remember at Primary and High School that when we had P.E. often the teams were split into genders because its how bored teachers got their kicks. My old hockey team was mostly chicks too. This is just... retarded.

Then I guess New Zealanders aren't afraid to wreck eachothers shins, regardless of gender.