Arizona withdrawing financial incentives over Nike canceling Betsy Ross flag shoe

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
This is nothing more than pandering to the #MAGA crowd. I’m guessing if Nike defended these shoes and a liberal state boycotted Nike conservatives wouldn’t be cheering. I’m all for states getting rid of corporate subsidies but NOT just to pander to the culture war.

Last edited:
Reactions: hulugu

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
This comes as any surprise from the state with one of more contentious history about MLK day?

Bear in mind, this shoe was a marketing decision by a company, not commissioned by the state. Just another tie in brand to sell more shoes.

A government official decided ( personal reasons? o_O As I don't see a governmental reason ) that the company should be punished for NOT putting out the product it decided itself to make for whatever reasons.

What do you think it tells that company about doing business with that state government?

Last edited:

vertical smile

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2014
I wouldn't wear a shoe like that, but it has nothing to do with the Betsy Ross flag, but how tacky this and most Nikes are. Plus, the most expense running shoes I have ever purchased was Nikes and while they were very comfortable, they started falling apart after 2 months.

I’m guessing if Nike defended these shoes and a liberal state boycotted Nike conservatives wouldn’t be cheering.
This kind of stuff goes both ways.

I think you are right about conservative with your example, but if this happened I am sure that most liberals would probably be supportive of a state that boycotted Nike.

just to pander to the culture war.
Probably best of the government stays out of matters like this, and just leave it up to the consumer to decide.

Reactions: sracer and jkcerda

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
Probably best of the government stays out of matters like this, and just leave it up to the consumer to decide.
Exactly! When government gets involved in culture wars, it shows it's more about the person in the government, and NOT the government itself making such decisions for it's citizens. That's literally an example that the 'big government' types rail against government doing, unless of course it's for culture war reasons.

raqball

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2016
Nike can do as they please and I can choose to not spend a cent with them.. I have not since their last fiasco and won't in the future...

Good for AZ tho... These Anti American companies need to be shown the door if they want to act as a political arm or cram their SJW mumbo jumbo down the throats of others...

I don't care off they make the shoe or not as I've been buying UA for a year now....

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Nike can do as they please and I can choose to not spend a cent with them.. I have not since their last fiasco and won't in the future...

Good for AZ tho... These Anti American companies need to be shown the door if they want to act as a political arm or cram their SJW mumbo jumbo down the throats of others...

I don't care off they make the shoe or not as I've been buying UA for a year now....
So basically no company will exist in any state because they’ll all offend either the Left or Right in power in that state at some point. Individuals can decide whether to purchase Nike products or work for the company. Governments should stay out of it. Now in this case if it was more than just pandering Ducey would use it as an opportunity to end all corporate welfare.

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
So basically no company will exist in any state because they’ll all offend either the Left or Right in power in that state at some point. Individuals can decide whether to purchase Nike products or work for the company. Governments should stay out of it. Now in this case if it was more than just pandering Ducey would use it as an opportunity to end all corporate welfare.
I guess Arizona had too many jobs, so they told Nike to kick rocks for not selling a shoe? o_O Happy 4th?!

For another state that will provide financial incentives to get Nike.

raqball

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2016
Sure but if they go above and beyond to make political statements they should not be entitled to a cent of gubment moola...

Good for AZ!

mtneer

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2012
Nike exactly knows what it is doing. No one had heard of this shoe until Douchey took it upon himself to publicize it. Nike exactly knows who buys their shoes - how many of them are Gadsden flag types or Kaepernick types. They get free publicity and build up cred in front of their target consumers. Neutral Arizonans lose out on jobs...

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
1) shoes are tacky af. I wouldn't pay $10 for them.
2) if Nike's really canceled because of Kapernick, they really suck especially after their latest revenue report
3) AZ is punishing Arizonian jobs, not Nike
4) I don't see how Betsy Ross can be offensive to anyone that ever cracked a book open
5) This is just free advertisement for Nike, Dems, and Republicans alike.

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I think that's what is happening now and will continue into the future.

Companies should avoid anything political if they don't want to risk alienating half their customers.
But what about the other half that do buy products from companies that do support or endorse their beliefs?

No matter what a company does, someone will always find them doing something political. By either doing something or NOT doing something. Thus it falls on the company itself to do it's analytics. What benefits the company more? Good will from one half, or ill will from another half who often say they don't buy their products anyway?

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Probably best of the government stays out of matters like this and just leave it up to the consumer to decide.
In general I agree, but there is a direct interest if the government is putting $$$ towards it in any form.
[doublepost=1562080820][/doublepost]
No matter what a company does, someone will always find them doing something political.
Sad reality, augmented by social media.
I just want a chicken sandwich, a coffee, a pair of shoes, and whatever product I need/want without someone telling me that I will become a Christian extremist, an anti-Christmas gay, or a slave-owning racist because of the company that is selling them.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
That's just it though, it seems this was a Ducey interest, not the interests of the state.
Without me knowing the specifics, I really don't know. I think that ultimately this will damage AZ's workers, so it's a crappy move anyways. I certainly can't say that AOC was stupid at pushing out Amazon and at the same time not say the same about this move.

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
In general I agree, but there is a direct interest if the government is putting $$$ towards it in any form.
[doublepost=1562080820][/doublepost]

Sad reality, augmented by social media.
I just want a chicken sandwich, a coffee, a pair of shoes, and whatever product I need/want without someone telling me that I will become a Christian extremist, an anti-Christmas gay, or a slave-owning racist because of the company that is selling them.
Also a sad reality when a politician chasing personal influence via culture wars, decides for his state to chase away a company and maybe jobs.

Reactions: eatrains

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
Without me knowing the specifics, I really don't know. I think that ultimately this will damage AZ's workers, so it's a crappy move anyways. I certainly can't say that AOC was stupid at pushing out Amazon and at the same time not say the same about this move.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nike-arizona/arizona-to-pull-incentive-for-nike-plant-over-sneaker-recall-idUSKCN1TX1W6?feedType=RSS&feedName=newsOne
Nike was planning to construct a $185 million plant in Goodyear, Arizona that would employee over 500 people.
Who knows if that will still happen.

This in particular is a case of one man deciding for his own little cultural war, was more important. In the case of Amazon, it was back & forth amongst the people living there as well.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I hope so, at least for the sake of 500 direct workers (and probably a thousand indirect workers).
Although I find the controversy totally stupid, it's certainly Kapernick's right and Nike's right to NOT celebrate the flag, the nation, or even its values. Actually, one of the important values of the nation is specifically the possibility to not celebrate the values, including the value of not celebrating the values...

Reactions: Solver

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I hope so, at least for the sake of 500 direct workers (and probably a thousand indirect workers).
Although I find the controversy totally stupid, it's certainly Kapernick's right and Nike's right to NOT celebrate the flag, the nation, or even its values. Actually, one of the important values of the nation is specifically the possibility to not celebrate the values, including the value of not celebrating the values...
That's just it though. What controversy?

It's unconfirmed yet if Kaepernick was really involved, but the issue raised isn't a new one. It's bizarre that Nike didn't know about it, which may have been a controversy if they had released it, but with a large portion of a it's consumer base. Which is something they really didn't want, and this might have saved them a large headache with consumers & their own influencers.

The question should be, why is this a controversy, and who caused it?

Oh, the guy who may have caused his state 500 jobs.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Sure but if they go above and beyond to make political statements they should not be entitled to a cent of gubment moola...

Good for AZ!
What does not producing a shoe have to do with providing jobs to the state of Arizona?

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
That's just it though. What controversy?
Controversy on Betsy Ross on Nikes (let me clarify, independently of Kaepernick's involvement. The controversy is now spawned).

The question should be, why is this a controversy, and who caused it?
I have the feeling that 99% of the controversies should not be controversies. I think that social media has caused some after-thought conversations into full blown controversies.

Oh, the guy who may have caused his state 500 jobs.
If so, I hope he loses his job.

Reactions: Solver

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I agree - Kap needs to just shut his flapper.....
It's a bit of a reach to blame Kaep, for a decision Nike makes. Unless you are somehow saying Kaep is that prominent? Yeesh! Don't tell a certain someone who likes culture wars, means another Twitter rant during the day after Faux News tells him about it.

Also, it isn't confirmed about Kaep's involvement yet.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2010
Texas

Good for AZ!
Was that (not making political statements) one of the points in the AZ-Nike agreement? If not, AZ should ****.

Reactions: JayMysterio