Arizona

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sydde, May 6, 2012.

1. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Soon to be the nation's punchline, some lovely legislation of late:

Planned Parenthood defunding

In a way, I can kind of understand the logic to this one. Funds are fungible, so money from one source cannot fully be segregated from a given use. Of course, planned parenthood does provide other, valuable services, but those are tainted by the abortion services they provide. I could see border towns in California and perhaps New Mexico developing their women's health centers – assuming Arizona does not outlaw going out of state to get what you cannot get there. On a similar note

Pregnancy begins at the date of her last period

What I find difficult to get here is how they expect to enforce this. A woman can just tell them whatever date she wants for her last period (within reason), right? What next, the Kotex Kops?

Other amusing things going on in AZ (these are from opinion pieces):

Schools must teach about "the bible and its influence"

Schools cannot teach about Mexican-American history without losing funding

I have been to Arizona, it gets pretty hot there. Snowballs have no chance.

2. Happybunny macrumors 68000

It looks like Arizona is the blueprint, for how the US will look if Mitt wins.:(

3. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

About the last one, with losing funding if they teach anything related to Mexican-American History..

Someone needs to take this to the media, and run with it, especially in Texas. Honestly, this will bring up the absurdity of this potential bill. Think about it. This means that Arizona's schools could no longer mention anything regarding the Battles of San Jacinto, where Sam Houston defended Texas from the Mexicans, as well as the Alamo, where Davy Crockett and many others died defending it.

All of that is Mexican-American History, and I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of Texans who are proud of what their people and ancestors have done. To have that wiped off the books and not taught in class would definitely be an insult to them, let alone every other person in this country.

BL.

5. Sydde thread starter macrumors 68020

Sydde

Sorry, it is not a bill, it has been signed into law by the governor. The critical clause reads
    A SCHOOL DISTRICT OR CHARTER SCHOOL IN THIS STATE SHALL NOT INCLUDE IN ITS PROGRAM OF INSTRUCTION ANY COURSES OR CLASSES THAT EITHER:
    1. ARE DESIGNED PRIMARILY FOR PUPILS OF A PARTICULAR ETHNIC GROUP.
    2. ADVOCATE ETHNIC SOLIDARITY INSTEAD OF THE TREATMENT OF PUPILS AS INDIVIDUALS.​

This would not preclude the teaching of incidents like the Alamo which involve American history, but the would have to be taught from an American perspective. I could imagine a history class being penalized for using Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee as source material since that presents a NA perspective on history, unless that class also presented the "white" perspective.

What is sad is that the Secretary of Homeland Security had been the governor of Arizona: had she not been appointed to her current post, the state might not be in such a state.