Arkansas GOP Senate candidate refers to Chuck Schumer as "That Jew"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, May 14, 2009.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

http://www.arktimes.com/blogs/arkansasblog/2009/05/off_the_cuff.aspx

But it's OK, he apologized!

I'm not sure which is worse:
    1) He called Chuck Schumer "that Jew"
    2) He bases his values on a fictional TV show
    3) He bases his values on a fictional TV show that ended it's run 41 years ago

Stay classy GOP :rolleyes:

2. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Makes sense to me. The GOP are usually the ones who espouse "traditional values" while making racist comments in the same breath. Amazing. Can you find more examples besides Byrd? Won't take me too much time to find a ton of Republicans who've done this. Jesse Helms anyone?

4. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Pretty much. The GOP is the party of racists. There are a few in the Democratic Party, but most tend to be in the GOP

5. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Racism is a traditional value. If all traditions were happy ones, everyone would be a conservative.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Umm...I don't think I'd go that far.

7. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I don't disagree with your point about Republicans being hypocritical. I don't know if you read my link, but my point is that if we are going to cherry-pick instances of a party's racist hypocrisy, this is going to turn into a long thread. I think the thread stands well on its own without this prejudicial jackdick being implicitly ascribed as an accurate representation of the GOP, any more than Byrd for the Democrats.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I would tend to agree. However, you have to concede that this kind of attitude is far more prevalent with the GOP.

And why did he think using that comment would illustrate that he upholds "traditional values"?

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Doesn't more racism come out of the south, and aren't there more Republicans in the south? I think it is more a regional issue. I don't think racism in the south has a party line.

10. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Yeah, I worded that wrong...I basically meant what you said, that the racist attitude is more common in the GOP.

At least when I screw up my wording, I don't use any racial slurs ;)

11. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I will concede that this kind of attitude is far more publicly prevalent with the GOP. But perhaps I am splitting hairs.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No- I think that's fine. ;) I guess I'm more disturbed by the fact that this guy used a slur to try to illustrate he was defending something "good".

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I don't think he even thought he was saying anything wrong. Isn't that just how they talk. What we would consider racist is just normal speech for them.

14. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Those three sentences could form the basis of a very long, but interesting, conversation in the PRSI forum. I don't have the gusto, however, to start that thread.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Forget the teabagging parties. Why not go all out and have lynchings? :rolleyes:

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

All I am saying is that the deep south still holds a grudge in many ways. I don't think it will ever change. The culture is completely different.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You've got to be kidding me. If that's the case, then we don't need to simply let the south secede, we should force them to.

18. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Indeed, I largely agree. My point was that your early comment brought out a question that many people don't want to discuss; should we take into account someone's upbringing, motives, education, etc. when "casting stones" about his/her prejudicial comment, or do we look at the comment in a vacuum. Again, I largely agree with your fundamental comment above; I'm just tempting someone else to start that thread. ;)

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wait minute- are you both saying that this is acceptable because of this guy's "upbringing"? Seriously?

20. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

My answer is unequivocally no. I believe you do not take into account someone's upbringing, class, color, education, etc.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Then what is it about MacNut's statement you agree with? I'm confused. It sounds like you guys are making excuses for this kind of thing. Am I wrong?

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Im not saying its acceptable, I'm saying it is the way it is. To us his views are racist, but to him I don't think he saw anything wrong with them. I don't think it is a Republican stance or a Democrat stance, it is a southern stance.

23. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I could have been more clear. I'll try again. MacNut touched on (although I do not believe he was endorsing in the slightest) the concept of whether someone's 'intent' is relevant when they use a prejudicial term, such as "Jew" or "the n word." I think that is an interesting debate to be had. As I said a moment ago, I lean towards looking at a comment in a vacuum and giving no points for upbringing, etc. Perhaps I am alone in my interest in that dialogue, I just think it is an interesting debate to be had. That's all. As to the topic at hand, dude's an idiot.

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

But implicit in your post is the notion that we shouldn't worry about it because it's "just the way it is" in the South and therefore it's OK. I think it's obvious the guy meant to be insulting.

25. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

That is not what I said at all. I said we can't say it is a GOP stance like the OP suggested, it is a southern stance. That doesn't make it right but it is how they think. He may have been insulting but I also think they throw these words around like its nothing.