Arkansas Governor to pardon son's drug conviction

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Nov 13, 2014.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://news.yahoo.com/arkansas-governor-pardon-sons-drug-conviction-report-091546906.html

Wish he would give the rest of the non-felons the same chance he is giving his kid.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

No wonder why people don't trust politicians. This is sheer nepotism.:mad:

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Wish (partially) granted:

4. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

not a fan of "partially", the guy is making a big exception for his kid as his kid was charged with a felony, at the same time I really don't care for the stupid war on drugs & felony convictions on stupid pot. guess a bit is better than nothing.

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Arkansas governor's are prone to unusual pardons. For example, Mike Huckabee pardoned some thug because the thug claimed to have found Jesus. A few months later that same thug murdered four cops in my favorite coffee shop.

6. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Another case where the State of Georgia is ahead of other states. Our governor can't pardon anyone, not even his son. Notice that Governor Bebe happens to be a democrat... Hmmm.

7. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Don't care what side of the aisle he is, yeah he is pardoning his son out of a higher crime, at the same time plenty of criminals REMAIN criminals due to lack of employment choices due in part to their records. his son aside, I'll give him a kudos for at least acknowledging there is a problem, it's hard for them to straighten out when their records follow them for life.

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm guessing most of those non violent offenses were drug related...

If they are then I have no problem with this, if on the other hand he wasn't pardoning other people for drug crimes then I'd have an issue with him making an exception for his son.

9. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

And goodness knows we never have examples of Republicans doing sleazy things, so that can only lead you to one conclusion... :rolleyes:

10. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

What kind of drug offenses are we talking?

Possession?

Meh

Trafficking?

Leave him in prison.

11. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I just notice when it is a republican that does something his political party is in the first post damning all republicans as a party to the crime but when it is a democrat, political party doesn't seem to factor into it. This is a democrat who pardoned his own son. This doesn't phase you?

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

In his home state to boot ...

I wonder if SD voted for this guy.

13. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Yes, I voted for Nathan Deal. But I love your attempt to try and paint someone as worse than the Arkansas Governor pardoning his own son. It's a good distraction. Now back to the corruption this thread is all about. You know that wonderful democrat governor of Arkansas, the state that gave us Slick Willy.

14. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Sure it does, just as much as a Republicans doing it would. Except if it were a Republican, you would be tripping over yourself to be the first to defend him.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I said nothing about one being worse than the other.

You simply made that up.

But I do appreciate your honest admission that you voted for a corrupt politician.

Honesty is the best policy.

16. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Was Nathan Deal convicted of anything? Or are you just defaming his character?

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I doubt the New York Times was just defaming his character.

18. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

I don't mind it honestly, republican or democrat. Possession of drugs is not worth it. If it was murder it would be a different story of course. Sure it might not be fair, but I'd honestly question a dad who didn't at least try to get their children out of that predicament personally.

19. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Now wait a minute. Just how much dope did the dope have get charged with a felony?:eek: I would imagine a few kilo of the stuff at least, more than one would think would be for personal use. Charlie Sheen would think otherwise, but he's the exception.:p

I would let him rot either way. Having enough dope on you to get a felony charge, either you're trafficking or Charlie Sheen. This kid ain't Charlie Sheen.

20. NT1440, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014

NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I wasn't fazed because I didn't even know he was a Democrat until you mentioned it. Not all of us live a life with a party affiliation on our lenses SD.

I'd like to see ALL those in Arkansas with the same conditions and charges pardoned, but that will never happen. Yes, SD, even the Republicans. :rolleyes:

21. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

F-A-Z-E-D!

Sorry, I hate grammar Nazis as much as the rest of you.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

No trouble, that was autocorrect (dictation) doing it's thing. :p

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

What a surprise!

24. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Again, your partisan hackery shows.

This has nothing to do with Democrat versus Republican. This has everything to do with the conflict of interest between a father in his position as governor, pardoning his own son, who happened to be a convicted felon. For something like this, a rational decision could not be made by the governor, which he should have deferred to his Lt. Governor to make the call for the pardon.

But again, keep going down your partisan direction. You are showing with each post why this country is heading for the crapper due to polarization.

BL.