Arlen Specter to Switch From (R-Penn) to (D-Penn)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, Apr 28, 2009.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Looks like Specter has seen the writing on the wall, and has decided to switch parties. That would give the Democrats 60 votes. in the Senate. No link yet, but it's being reported on the teevee...

2. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Confirmed on CNN now. Specter gave a statement.

3. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yup. Just like Zell Miller, right?

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Will it really change anything though? He is still going to vote the same way he has just with a new letter next to his name.

5. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Why do you say that? Besides, 60 is significant because it's the magic number needed to prevent filibuster.

6. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Probably not. The Democrats could have 99 Senate seats, and still find a way to fail to come up with 60 votes on key issues.

7. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I see what you mean, but this is more strategery anything. If his views are more in line with the Blues, he'll align with them. Nothing different than how he was with the Reds. But what this will gain, is more of a spotlight on Franken/Coleman, especially now that Franken has a bigger lead than he did before, and now there are calls for Coleman to concede.

With Specter changing, and Franken looking to win, the Blues would be filibuster-proof.

BL.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

That doesn't mean anything, Specter will not vote the party just for the sake of it.

9. Little HZ macrumors regular

Little HZ

He won't have to worry about the far right in the GOP sinking him in a primary election, and so can be even more a voice of reason in the Senate. :D

10. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

I think the big impact of this will be that Specter is likely to come out and say that it wasn't his views that changed, but rather that the GOP of today has left him behind. It will further cement the image of the GOP as a party unable to keep moderate members within it's caucus, a party beholden to it's most extreme elements.

It'll be interesting to see if Specter walks back his assertion that he will vote against EFCA. He has angered many union members that he will need in his 2010 reelection bid by saying he would vote against it, but that was when he was trying to out-crazy Pat Toomey. Now that he's likely to face little Democratic opposition for the primary nomination, perhaps he'll change his tune...

11. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I think this is a good thing. As I said before in another thread, I think one party "in charge" is better for the country at this juncture.

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

One party in charge is never a good thing. It doesn't matter what party it is.

13. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

At this time in history I have to disagree. The republican party has become so extremist that having the Democrats run the show for at least four years has to be a good thing in the short-term.

Long term I would agree. But we are at a time when major decisions must be made and the republicans have nothing to offer.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

But the Democrats could get power hungry and bury us in another hole just like the Republicans did for 8 years. We need checks and balances of some sort. We have crooks on both sides.

15. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

The democratic party is so diverse there would be checks and balances within the party itself.

It's not as if the Dems are all going to vote together every time. This switch doesn't really mean a filibuster free Senate.

16. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Arlen Spector just became the king-maker. Lieberman must be pissed :D

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Anything that pisses off that idiot is OK by me.

18. Analog Kid macrumors 68040

Analog Kid

It's now official-- the GOP has been reduced to the lunatic fringe...

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I personally don't want either party to be in full power, that is when the lunacy starts.

20. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Almost... the two ladies from Maine would be well advised to jump ship along with Specter.

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Except when we are talking about the current republican party, they are crazier than the UK Labour party in the early 1980's.

22. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

23. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Bitter?

quote-
    "If Sen. Specter survives in the fall — get ready to go to the mat, baby, because we're coming after you and taking you out," added Steele.