ARM MacBooks are incoming... so maybe it would be better to not upgrade to 2018/2019 MacBook Pros?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KensaiMage, May 29, 2018.

?

Will you upgrade in 2018/2019 or wait for 2020 MBP redesign and possible ARM implementation?

1. I will upgrade in 2018/2019

48 vote(s)
    46.6%
  2. I will upgrade in 2020 or later

37 vote(s)
    35.9%
  3. I will not buy a MacBook anymore due to... (name the reason)

16 vote(s)
    15.5%
  4. I do not have a MacBook and I am not willing to buy one because... (name the reason)

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. Glmnet1, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2018

Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

I need a new Mac so I'll be buying one this year. IF Apple makes the switch to ARM and IF they drop support for Intel quickly, I'll just install Linux and Windows, cry a little and probably not buy a Mac ever again :D

I think that Apple will instead do a slow and smooth transition where they will slowly update Macs with ARM, starting with the non-pro devices and keep support Intel for quite a while.

I wouldn't be surprised if the T* chips added to the latest Macs are later used for this transition and to keep supporting those models for a longer time.

2. KensaiMage thread starter macrumors regular

KensaiMage

What are your thoughts regarding recent quality issues? Wouldn't it be better to wait?

3. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

Personally had no issue at all. My MBP 2011 is still running and has been my only machine since it was released. macOS has been great for me and recently got my first iOS device. I really like Apple's software and hardware. I think issues are often quite overblown because people expect a lot form Apple, which is a good thing.

So considering all that, no I'm not afraid to continue investing in Apple's ecosystem because of some rumours about ARM Macs.

4. Miltz macrumors 6502a

Unless ARM MAC run things like photoshop and Final Cut, I don't see it happening. I don't want IOS on my MAC.

5. Naimfan Suspended

Naimfan

Fix keyboard, restore magsafe, shrink trackpad, lower price, etc., and I'll reconsider. Til then, my 2015 will have to do.

6. DeanPSN macrumors regular

DeanPSN

That's your personal preference.
    I love the huge trackpad, its a joy to use.
    MagSafe was nice, but its not a dealbreaker for me and let's not forget MagSafe had its own fair share of issues with burning pins and stuff like that, so USB-C is good enough now + if you really want MagSafe, you could buy that micro thingy adapter for UBS-C MagSafe.

7. hajime macrumors 601

They will also offer old and outdated computers at regular prices.

8. hajime macrumors 601

Under TC's management, the trend seems to be that the MBP line is getting worse and worse. Although the MBP 2017 and perhaps also the 2018 version are down graded in the eyes of long-term Apple MBP users, the 2018 may be the last version before the laptop line gets even worse with ARM based CPU in 2020. So, this year may be the last chance.

9. Hater macrumors 6502a

Hater

I'm slowly trying to get myself using Fedora workstation, I hate it but Apple's direction is not compatible with what I need my laptop to do

10. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

I Truly feel the main reason Apple would drop Intel is so they don't have to keep up. When they release their "New" MacBooks with a 7th Gen processor, and the 8th Gen's are already in PC's makes them kind of look like they are behind the game. With the A11 phone chips they actually have a kick arse chip, but at the same time they are not subject to trends or timelines. Smart move. Lets see if ARM can keep up.

I have to admit I am surprised that the survey shows the majority will upgrade. I am amazed at the loyalty of Apple customers.

--- Post Merged, May 29, 2018 ---
    Like they do now.

11. hajime macrumors 601

Exactly. Evil Apple.

I would prefer more options in the survey. I need to see what Apple comes up with this year to see if I am going to upgrade. If I don't like the keyboard in the 2018 model, I may need to switch to a Windows laptop.

12. Naimfan Suspended

Naimfan

Well bully for you!

Wait until your keyboard fails . . .

13. Closingracer macrumors 68040

14. Closingracer macrumors 68040

A) not happening
    B) never happening ever in the lifetime of apple because USB C and thunder port 3 is superior in every way possible. And you can buy an adapter
    C) why it’s the best ever period
    d) you’ll be waiting until you die I guess

15. gobikerider Suspended

gobikerider

I was going to get this 2018 MacBook Pro but then I spent $200 to upgrade my PC to 10 Pro and order the Swiftpoint mouse. With Jump Desktop and a RDP connection I’m gonna commit to iPad only workflow with the Pc on standby for when i have to program or something.

16. PeterJP macrumors 6502

PeterJP

I don't think Apple would drop Intel immediately. That's clearly a no-go. There would be no application support. Microsoft tried that, hoping Office alone would be sufficient. Obviously, it wasn't. This isn't the 1980s, nobody would buy an Amstrad PCW with a fixed set of applications now.

If Apple is working on an ARM mac, they need to get developers on board. Now, if they had convinced the large software houses of porting their software to an ARM based mac, we would've heard about it. It's one thing to be able to keep secrecy in a hardware manufacturing supply chain. It's much harder to keep secrecy when you inform a large part of your ecosystem.

Having the ARM T1/2 processor as a co-processor for iOS apps, now that would be interesting. But Apple would have to rework a lot of the software running on it because it's currently closed down for mission critical applications (security, storage).

17. sakabaro macrumors regular

Any reasons to prefer Fedora over Ubuntu?

18. hajime macrumors 601

As I recall, Fedora originated from Red Hat Linux. The now Ubuntu became more popular.

19. robbietop macrumors regular

robbietop

Using Steve's metaphor of the Truck, I will explain why Apple won't be leaving Intel for at least half a decade.

1. The iPhone is a sports car. It gets many things done quickly, but it has no towing capacity. It can only carry two people. It's a one person car that moves quick and gets light things done. It's sleek and sexy. Fun for showing off.
    2. The iPad is a small truck. It does A-B and carries a heavy load, but it has a small bed and carries only two people. It'll get the job done, but it isn't luxurious nor is it gonna tow anything. It is great for moving a couch, not moving a boat.
    3. The MacBook is a coupe. It can carry four people, but it still only has two doors. The engine is underpowered typically, but it saves on fuel consumption. Like a hybrid, the utility is in fuel consumption vs range. MacBooks are great for basic computing that requires a full sized keyboard. But beyond that, it's just a hybrid.
    4. The MacBook Pro is a Sedan. It has four doors, carries lots of people and has tons of space and room. Larger screens, keyboards, frames. Engine/Processor is more powerful to carry this extra weight. It's luxurious and powerful and some sedans can tow if you get the V8-V12 (i7 with 16GB RAM).
    5. The iMac is basically an SUV. It's large and clunky and not very portable. Fuel conservation? I'm plugged into the wall/a massive steel frame with wheels. It is about doing load and carrying several people. It's a work horse that typically is great for long hauls with the kids. Other than that, it's an SUV.
    6. The iMac Pro/Mac Pro are Heavy Duty trucks or Tractor Trailers with V-12 engines and could care less about fuel conservation. They are about RAW POWER. Bit crunching and data driven, these machines plow through anything thrown at them. No portable machine can match their output.

1-3 on this list can operate with an ARM, as their purpose is portability over power.
    But ARM has shown incapable (so far, that may change with A12) of handling pure RAW bit crunching like an i7 with 32GB. As RISC processors become commonplace, people are finding ways to overcome Intel's CISC monopoly. Apple is leading that charge, but the A series still lacks the RAW power of Intel's x86-64 CISC.

But Intel has made the fatal mistake of throwing money at a problem they identified 15 years ago as unsolvable. Eventually, Moore's Law calculates that the amount of money spent on advancing the speed doubles until it collapses before curving back up again astronomically in an S-Wave. Intel is now beginning the steep climb necessary to continually meet Moore's Law. Also, the Motherboard has to balloon to create more complex registers to meet the demand of the increasing need for more CPUs (CPU Quantity vs Quality.

Meanwhile 90% of processor architecture is moving to RISC, because it allows for more common registers and the motherboards can be ridiculously tiny (CPU Quality vs Quantity). RISC will complete the same instructions in the ballpark same amount of time as a CISC (within 10-30 seconds), but with half the processors. Sure, you need more RAM but RAM is like Vodka in Russia.

It will take Apple 5 more years of steady and consistent development to create a processor for 4-6.

Just go ahead and buy the machine and quit listening to Bloomberg and their awful journalism.

20. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Hyperbole is the greatest thing ever!

21. Closingracer macrumors 68040

Not hyperbole it’s a fact . USB C can do more then just power a device unlike MagSafe . If you want MagSafe go buy an adapter. Best of both worlds

22. Spytap macrumors regular

I mean - "Will you upgrade in 2018/2019" kind of depends on what's available. I might, or I might go to Windows. Or I might decide to hold out. Seems a little odd to ask before there's any real info about the 2018 let alone 2019 options.

23. Appleaker macrumors 68020

A) It is happening, they have been working on the new keyboard for over a year.
    B) Who says a new MagSafe wouldn’t use USB-C?
    C) Likely because of palm rejection, but not happening.
    D) Hopefully not because we’ll see new pricing this year.

24. Closingracer macrumors 68040

A) No it’s not not in any meaningful way
    B) MagSafe =/= usb C. Totally different tech. You want MagSafe just to buy a cheap adapter and stop whining
    C) as I said it’s not and it’s already the best touchpad ever made
    D) ummm you will be waiting . Pricing will stay relatively the same .