Army amputee thrown from NY roller coaster, dies

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samiwas, Jul 9, 2011.

1. samiwas macrumors 65816

Army amputee thrown from NY roller coaster, dies

Note: this may not be PRSI-worthy, but I could see it becoming such a discussion.

I'm kind of curious what posters on this board think about this, as I've seen a wide range of opinions on various topics. There will obviously be some who blame the park 100%, and some who blame the rider 100%.

I blame the rider more than anything. He should have known that going on such a ride was not a wise idea since he was missing the part of the body that holds you into the coaster!

The park should not have let him on the ride, but if he had his prosthetic legs on (the article is not clear if he had them or not) and had pants on over them, then they may well have not known he even had prosthetic legs.

But I could also see that if the park denied him going on the coaster, that there would be some backlash along the lines of discrimination against people with disabilities.

2. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

I got on a rollercoaster, missing his legs? literally, the things that give leverage to the bar that holds you down?

I'm sorry, but that's just ouright stupid. Also, I'm curious as to how no park employees noticed this, if he is missing the whole of one leg, parts of one hip, and most of the other leg, you can't just slap on some prostetics and noe one will notice...

3. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

4. citizenzen Suspended

Now I would have blamed the park operators for that very same reason.

How is the rider supposed to know this? :confused:

Harsh.

5. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

You're kidding, right? It's simple physics. Would a little personal responsibility kill this country?

6. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

I know this. And I'm not even educated.

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes. The man is dead, this thread was not opened to castigate him. R.I.P.

If his legs were covered, or did not look like prosthetics, how are they to blame?

We need more detail, but the sensational media has yet to supply it.

Common sense. If the bar is to hold down a body part you do not possess, don't get on.

8. citizenzen Suspended

If it's simple physics, then why aren't the operators of the ride responsible?

They know the ride.

They know the restraints.

They are the experts in this case.

9. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

I have worked at two amusement parks for the past 17 years off and on, and I can say he must have had on his prosthetic legs on. It's the only way I can see a ride operator would allow him on, since it says he was helped on the ride.

The rider must of thought his prosthetic legs where strong enough to take the force of the lap bar would have on them when going down the hill. The lap bar must of gone right though those prosthetic legs, crushing them.

I can't speak for this park, but the parks I worked for. If you had any disability the might make you a risk to the ride or can't stand in line. You must get a ride permission slip, on this slip it states what rides you can and can't ride. It also releases the park of any responsibility if you get hurt from the ride. Some parks I've been to have had signs up that you ride at your own risk. I don't know if this clears the park, but I thought I would mention it.

If I was the ride operator, I wouldn't have let him on if I knew he had fake legs on. :/

Hugh

10. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Between this guy and the guy who just had to lean over the railing at a baseball game to catch a ball heading for someone else, its a banner week for the darwin awards. Why didn't the staff try to stop this guy from getting on the coaster? I bet if they did try, the people on the line would have gone crazy. How dare you stop a vet from trying to have fun? Let him on you ride nazis!!! Don't do things you can't do! If you don't have legs, don't get on something dangerous on which your life depends on a steel bar holding your body down by your legs. Don't dive for a baseball when there's nothing but 20 feet of air in front of you.

11. citizenzen Suspended

Excerpts from Reuters [source]...

According to local authorities and news reports, Hackemer lost his legs and a hip when a roadside bomb exploded when he served in Iraq in 2008. He suffered two strokes, blood loss, and brain damage in the attack and then spent three years in rehabilitation, during which he re-learned how to eat and speak. He was released in March and lived in Gowanda, New York.

Hackemer's mother, Nancy, told local media after the accident on Friday that her son had been helped on to the ride by other people and was "doing what he wanted to do."

And from Forbes [source] ...

People without both legs are barred from at least two other coasters at the park, the Motocoaster and the Predator.

This is a man who is obviously impaired. Please note that I'm not resolving him or his family of any responsibility. I'm primarily responding to those who seem to put all of the blame on him and none on the park.

Both parties bear responsibility for this.

12. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Sad to see the things Veterans go through... :(

You would think, though, in his case he would settle for roller coasters with shoulder harnesses instead of ones only with lap bars... :eek:

13. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Your first two quoted paragraphs are irrelevant. He (or his caregiver, if he is incompetent) are to blame, period. There is no expertise needed for this whatsoever.

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The air wasn't the problem, the concrete below was.

But your point is well made.

Oh, they serve beer at ball games, don't they?

Not to smart to loose fans, by impairing their judgement with alcohol. :rolleyes:

15. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Don't get me wrong here, I said I most likely wouldn't allowed him on either.

Hugh

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I couldn't agree more. This is solely the fault of the veteran and the people he was with and helped him on the ride. I respect his service and feel terrible for what happened to him but you don't belong on a roller coaster if you don't have legs.

17. citizenzen Suspended

They are not irrelevant at all. They help to establish that this is a man who is obviously physically impaired and not someone who could easily hide his disability from the people operating the ride.

It must be pretty dull living in a world that's just black and white. :rolleyes:

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Wake me when the inevitable law suits are pressed. :D

Yes, I went there. :eek:

19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I am with you. The Park is 100% at fault here and US law will hold the park 100% accountable for it.
    No matter how you cut it the park should of hand rules in place banning people like that from riding.

You have to require the park to assumed to be completely at fault to force them to be safer. Look back at work place safety. It became a lot better and safer when the laws changed to require the employer to be at fault if an accident happen even if the accident was caused by employee fault or employee not wearing safety equipment. Things got a lot better after it started costing companies real money to deal with employee safety.
    The general same rules apply here.

While it was not a good idea for the guy to get on it. Does not change the fact that the park should of not let him ride.

20. citizenzen Suspended

Well, I didn't go so far as to say 100% ... and wouldn't. I just couldn't believe the number of people putting all of the blame on the vet.

"You don't belong on a roller coaster if you don't have legs."

Funny, but I don't recall hearing that truism until today. :rolleyes:

21. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I can imagine worse ways to die. He lived life on his own terms, nothing wrong with that.

22. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Well that's terribly clever and all, but how about "you can't count on a safety device that works using body parts that you don't have?" Nope, haven't heard that one either, but it's called common sense :rolleyes:

23. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

All parks have tons of rules. Don't ride if you have back problems is one. If I get on a ride and further injure my bad back, can I sue because they didn't stop me? Do we really need to add rules like: if the part of the body that is being held into place by our safety bars is missing, please do not ride? Do we need to check everybody in wheelchairs to make sure that their legs are their own and not prosthetics? Can this man's family file a civil suit against anyone of his buddies that helped him on the ride? Personal responsibility and common sense: two things completely MIA in this country.

24. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Everyone wants him to be able to ride, and therein lies the problem.

Apparently no one in his 'entourage' was willing to step forward, and say "No!!".

25. citizenzen Suspended

But it does not absolve the park of it's responsibility.

If it's sooo obvious as so many of you keep saying, why wasn't it obvious to the park attendent who—as I've always seen—checks the passenger restraints to make sure they're properly engaged before the ride begins?

Where is the "personal responsibility" of the person employed by the park to recognize a dangerous situation and head-off a tragic accident?

Why is the only person being asked to recognize this danger and account for physics and the functioning of safety devices the one who's been brain-damaged?