Army to Deploy Active Unit Inside US for Emergency Response

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jplan2008, Sep 25, 2008.

1. jplan2008 macrumors regular

Is there a pattern developing in this country, by chance?

http://bravenewfilms.org/blog/54627-army-to-deploy-active-unit-inside-us-for-emergency-response

Beginning in October, the Army plans to station an active unit inside the United States for the first time to serve as an on-call federal response in times of emergency. The 3rd Infantry Division’s 1st Brigade Combat Team has spent thirty-five of the last sixty months in Iraq, but now the unit is training for domestic operations. The unit will soon be under the day-to-day control of US Army North, the Army service component of Northern Command. The Army Times reports this new mission marks the first time an active unit has been given a dedicated assignment to Northern Command. The paper says the Army unit may be called upon to help with civil unrest and crowd control. The soldiers are learning to use so-called nonlethal weapons designed to subdue unruly or dangerous individuals and crowds.

2. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

3. jplan2008 thread starter macrumors regular

What's a constitution?

4. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Not really against the Constitution per se. It's more of a job for the National Guard.

The idea of using regular Army for tasks inside our own borders is...disturbing.

5. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Touché!

6. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

The Constitution states that the military shall never be used against it's own citizens.

7. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Source?

8. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Those amendments were repealed in their entirety in 2008.

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

King George needs another war to divert the attention, perhaps its against his own people,,,no maybe its to go after the millions of illegals he let in,,,,,no perhaps its to chase down the bankers that he let screw us,,,,,or perhaps its to go after Bin Laden,,,,,maybe they found those WMDs that his Dad & Rumsfeld gave to Saddam or maybe its a war against baggy pants....there must be something we all can fear ,,,I got it they are going to save us from ourselves!

We need to throw out this party for another 50 years.

10. Axemantitan macrumors 6502

Why is a U.S. Army brigade being assigned to the "Homeland"?

http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2008/09/24/army/

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

12. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's because the National Guard is in Iraq with the rest of the army. And they're proving so effective that the regular army has been demoted to National Guard.

13. voxnj macrumors regular

Canadians: be afraid. Very afraid.

14. Trip.Tucker Guest

*sigh* Did you really laugh at that as you wrote it? It's inane.

15. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i would understand it if it's a fast deployment pioneer unit or something for disaster relief ... but a infantry unit against civil unrest/crowd control ?

this sounds bad

16. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

What have we got from Bushco that hasnt been Bad?

18. mpshay macrumors 6502

Clearly a true military genius! Are you kidding me????

It's not like this unit was not going to be based in CONUS even without this declaration. They are just assigned to the Nothern Command. Don'y expect to see them patrolling random cities in riot gear tomorrow

19. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

*Whoosh!*

20. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

And the chipping away of the Constitution continues. 50 years from now people are going to look at this period of US history in the same way we look back at McCarthyism and the Red Scare when paranoia and fear mongering ruled the day.

Lethal

21. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

This isn't what you think, this mission has been going on for as long as I can remember - this is just the first time they've designated which unit while be doing it and for how long.

Instead of them saying "Hey you" in an emergency, the unit and everyone else now knows that they will be going in advance. It makes the 4 hour notice easier on us if we know it might happen.

22. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

This seems odd. While National Guard units are being sent to Iraq, regular army units are being deployed in the US. I really don't understand why this decision is being made in this way.

Almost all units are based in CONUS in some way, but this unit is being tasked with a specific operational duty inside the United States. That's very different from tanks at Fort Bragg or submarines in San Diego harbor.

I'm just sure what this unit is going to be able to do that a NG unit couldn't. The deployment is odd.

23. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Nothing. It just augments the NG. NG will have the mission first.

24. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

FBI's New Rules For Opening Investigations

Read and Weep:

When coupled with FISA, Military Commissions Act of 2006, etc., I do believe we have become a police state. Since when did we give up the right to assemble and protest?

I have already written three lengthy posts about this, so I will spare you another one. But, I will continue to post new articles.