Arriving in Vietnam, Obama Aims to Lure It Away From China

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, May 23, 2016.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

2. FieldingMellish Suspended

Is there going to be any fallout, such as another migrant crisis or killing fields, now that Obama has lifted the US arms ban on Vietnam?

3. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Funny no one has mentioned the fact that Obama didn't apologize for bombing Hiroshima and Nagasaki during his visit to Japan, despite the fact the usual chucklehead crowd calling it his Sorry We're America tour.

I guess now we have to doom 'n gloom Vietnam to make up for it.

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

5. FieldingMellish Suspended

Obama will have apologized for just showing up. On Memorial Day, yet. That bares repeating. On Memorial Day. Get it?

6. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Well yes.

Of course, prior to Iraq, our biggest foreign policy blunder in the postwar world was misreading Vietnam. Vietnam (like Cuba and Iran) really wanted to be our ally. But we allowed ourselves to get blinded by anti-communist hysteria into making them an enemy.

True fact: Ho Chi Minh, who at the the time was working as a kitchen assistant at the Ritz Hotel in Paris, sent a petition to the 1919 Paris Peace Conference. He admired Woodrow Wilson's "Fourteen Points", and asked that the Vietnamese people be allowed to have a voice in the future of their country (which at the time was a French Colony.) And, of course, the Allied Powers blew him off.

In 1947 (or 1954, after Diem Bien Phu) we should have said to the Vietnamese: "You can have any sort of Government you like, except for Communism. We'll give you a ton of money. We'll pay to get the French out. And we'll sign a Treaty guaranteeing your security for the next fifty years."

But we didn't.

7. FieldingMellish Suspended

Oh, a Monday morning quarterback, huh?

The guy was a commie.

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

More like a commis chef.

9. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Why is this a big story? Bill Clinton normalized relations with Vietnam. George W. Bush visited Vietnam. Perhaps it is worthy of note because our Nobel Peace Prize President just opened another market for American arms trafficking.

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

11. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Doubt it. Foreign leaders love him: Obama visits, he brings with him thousands of formerly-American jobs. He's a modern day cargo cult.

12. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

China is claiming a comical amount of the South China Sea:

[​IMG]

For crying out loud, that line is going right up to the beaches of some countries.

It is pretty clear that Vietnam will be one of the important countries to stand up to this. China is a "local superpower" though. All of the other countries involved should start working together, or they'll get shoved back one by one.

13. XrayTed macrumors regular

XrayTed

I think he just set a personal record, visiting 2 formerly US bombed countries without apologizing or bowing down yet.

I'm quite sure thats not his decision, apparently his puppet masters don't think its a good idea right now as it might be awkward for Hillary.

Article itself it pretty sloppy, starting with the title - Vietnam needs no luring from China.

14. Desertrat macrumors newbie

China's claims to and militarizing of the Spratly Islands is of major concern to Vietnam--and others. Obama's deal fits in with the policy toward China and the rest of Asia.

From looking at the map, I think that China is in the wrong--but China has the power. It's just another might-makes-right deal, similar to what the US has been doing for too long.

Personally, I think that the various countries with claims on the Spratlys should joint-venture the oil and gas development there, pro-rated on investment capital and (I guess) populations.