Article: Apple’s SSD Pricing is Bizarre

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DarwinOSX, Mar 3, 2011.

1. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I'm sure the ssd in the air and the pro is not the same. From what I remember, the flash on the air comes in sticks like memory whereas in the air, it's a standard 2.5" drive, which of course is probably much cheaper. $150 cheaper? Probably not, but hey price is one way of differentiating.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It makes perfect sense. The price of the SSD is determined by the standard HD. SSD is 50$ cheaper in high-end 13" because it has 500GB HD which is a 50$ BTO in low-end. 750GB HD is a 150$ BTO, thus the SSD is 150$ cheaper in models with 750GB HD.

Same stuff, just different form factor. Both use the same Toshiba controller and Toshiba NANDs.

4. bcaslis macrumors 68020

+1. I don't see anything inconsistent or confusing. Why do people write articles like this? I guess research and brains have nothing to do with just posting articles to get hits.

5. zenio macrumors 6502

Exactly. It is a fact of life. It's always been that way. It's easy, you just accept that Apple charges excessively & pay it. I don't even pay attention to prices anymore, that will only frustrate you. I just pay the obscene prices and know that it's going into my Apple stock. The proof is I bought a huge amount at under $20 per share, kept on buying and amassing more shares, now look at the price per share. So it's all relevant. So what if were paying for the Apple logo & name.

6. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

7. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

Just like every other major company apple too are greedy bastards. What else is new?

8. trip1ex macrumors 68000

BTO almost always outrageous.

SAme with models above the base model.

9. Benjamins macrumors 6502a

I think they say "Bizarre" as in really weird.

Same SSD cost differently across different model.

10. dime21 macrumors 6502

the ssd pricing seems pretty normal to me. what a stupid article. they point out the difference in upgrade cost across the different machines, but they fail to mention what they are upgrading -from-. Which makes their comparison completely useless.

11. rebby macrumors 6502

Exactly what I was thinking. If you really break things down, I think the upgrade pricing is pretty close to (or exactly) the same across all models.

12. WMuntean macrumors regular

How embarrassing for whoever wrote that article.