Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MSUSpartan

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
There are a lot of people reselling. Since Apple lets you buy two, if you're waiting in line and you only want one, there's a powerful incentive to buy a second and try to flip it for a profit.

What you're seeing in large cities is a whole different thing; you've got the same people out there every night. These people are poor, speak little English and have few opportunities. Thus, they place a low monetary value on their time. The opportunity to make a quick $300 is incentive enough to get them out there every night. These people have probably bought ten or twelve ipads each from the apple stores, and when the daily shipment is small, they get 100% of it, because most real consumers just aren't willing or able to start lining up at midnight.

The guys flipping their extra iPad on Craigslist are not the problem, although they present a strong argument against allowing customers to buy two units at launch. The people who round up dozens of poor immigrants and use them to buy up 100% of the stock, day after day are the problem.

Of course, there are a lot of Asians in NYC and elsewhere who are legitimate consumers of these products. But if you go out in the morning and see the line, the first 100 people or so will look conspicuously unlike Apple consumers, and if you watch them long enough, you'll see them all come out of the store and hand off their purchases to someone in a car.

This is not scapegoating; it's a real phenomenon. That said, Apple's really getting these into stores every day, if you made it before 8 to the NYC 5th Ave store today, you probably got one. Or, more likely, two.

I hear ya. I'm frustrated too. I wish Apple would ship some of the online orders out instead. I live in Manhattan and ordered one on March 11 online, still waiting.

djkinetic

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Chicago, IL
Well apple could do something that would piss off a lot of ppl, they could halt all shipments of the iPad 2 temporarily, and just say they are goin to fulfill current orders online, and reserved at stores, while doing this no further iPads could be ordered in store or online, once all current orders/reservations are filled, they will continue resuming sales online and shipments to stores. This would give apple a chance to possibility replenish stock. Of course this won't happen as it probably would upset the public, but hey the public is generally already pissed about this.

CIA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
Quick temp solution. Starting Friday with the international launch, announce that for 2 weeks all USA iPad shipments, instead of heading to retail stores, will instead go towards clearing the backlog of online orders. Whatever is in the channel will trickle out, but no new iPads will be shipped to stores until the 8th of April. Let the international market deal with the scalpers for 2 weeks. Demand dies down a little, online orders (they way you really should get one anyway) get moved up quick, and come April 8th if you still want to brave the storm, you can hop in line again.

/edit djkinetic and I had the same idea at the same time lol....

jb007clone

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2006
Well apple could do something that would piss off a lot of ppl, they could halt all shipments of the iPad 2 temporarily, and just say they are goin to fulfill current orders online, and reserved at stores, while doing this no further iPads could be ordered in store or online, once all current orders/reservations are filled, they will continue resuming sales online and shipments to stores. This would give apple a chance to possibility replenish stock. Of course this won't happen as it probably would upset the public, but hey the public is generally already pissed about this.

I think if Apple was going to do something about the situation during this launch, they would've done it by now. I think if they change anything launch-wise, we'll more than likely see it when the ip5 drops.

djf881

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2011
I think Apple's PR would suffer more from having one of the company's flagship devices unavailable at retail for long periods of time than it does from having the stock captured by resellers.

I do think, though that some of the bigger apple stores held their shipments for a couple of days to sell a bunch today. Most days last week 5th Ave was effectively sold out by 2 AM and nearly 100% went to these gangs. Today, they must have had 600+ units. When I got there at 7:30 the line was stretched all the way around the block, and pretty much everyone in line bought 2.

djkinetic

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Chicago, IL
Quick temp solution. Starting Friday with the international launch, announce that for 2 weeks all USA iPad shipments, instead of heading to retail stores, will instead go towards clearing the backlog of online orders. Whatever is in the channel will trickle out, but no new iPads will be shipped to stores until the 8th of April. Let the international market deal with the scalpers for 2 weeks. Demand dies down a little, online orders (they way you really should get one anyway) get moved up quick, and come April 8th if you still want to brave the storm, you can hop in line again.

/edit djkinetic and I had the same idea at the same time lol....

lol yup great minds think a like =P

urbanj

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
I've never understood racism when stating known facts about a certain group of people. obviously there are exceptions but certain groups of people do certain things. I'm Italian Canadian, and while I've only been to NYC once I'm wondering where all the Italians from little Italy are and why aren't they snatching up iPads for shipment back to Italy?

The people from these regions (asia) do this kind of stuff and calling them a racist is absurd. I live in Vancouver Canada (lots of caucasians) and every summer there is a place called the "night markets" where you can buy cheap stuff. Stuff like knock off LV and Coach bags, sunglasses, imitation electronics etc. Do you know who run these markets? Not the English or Euros BUT the Asians. Now at first you can say, 'HEY HEY HEY' that's racist but really it's not. They are the ones with the supply chains and contacts in china for these very goods.

So with the iPads, pretty sure all these good are not being sent to Omaha Nebraska. So the people with all the contacts and the buyers waiting are buying up all the stock and shipping it there. Racist? :rolleyes:

every time im driving and i see a car with Hello kitty stuff in the back window and on the dash I think to myself they must be of asian decent. Then when I pull up beside them I find they are. Now that doesn't mean all asians have hello kitty plastered across their car but in my own little world all hello kitty cars are. am I a racist for thinking this or is it just a cultural norm?

macfrik

Contributor
Mar 21, 2009
Utah
I REJECT the Article

Whoever wrote the article is one unintelligent human being. Not all Asians are scalpers. Some of them like me, I enjoy my iPad 2. I bought 2 iPads on launch day and ordered 5 more off Apple website for my family in Asia. I have money. Do I take blame?

Hey, many no-job-scalpers-dummies Americans also stood up in line and RESELL their iPad 2s over at eBay to get some extra money to pay off their DEBT and credit cards.. Why blame it on Asians?

Whoever wrote the article, you mustn't have any knowledge about writing or judging people. You should put "Blame it on SCALPERS or RESELLERS or SCUMBAGS", NEVER PUT a race on your article.

Excuse my language, I need to somehow speak up and teach these ignorant people.

NTBRNWSHD

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2011
See any white folk in this line? ;)

17.1n012.ipadscheme1--300x300.jpg

I do in this one...rumor has it, this town doesn't have any ipad available either.....go figure.

Attachments

• apple_store1.jpg
    apple_store1.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 88

rawlus

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2009
Boston
The resellers are Asian. Period. Pointing out the fact that they are Asian is a statement of fact. Nothing more.

Anyone that reads more into it than that has thin skin.

This.

I am quite sick and tired of the PC police passing judgement on any description used. It is an objective fact that the vast majority if not the entire majority of the mules in line are Asian. You draw your own social conclusions about that.

Personally, I'd go so ar as to say they are probably also illegal immigrants.

The point is, if you are a consumer and you show up every day and are always 100th in line, regardless of the time you show up, and the first 100 are illegal, Asian mules... Then I think it's fair to say blame the asians...

Regardless of apples policies or actions, there is a character deficiency and questionable moral compass involved in becoming a mule to manipulate the free market. These are not people who command a great deal of respect, I do not applaud their opportunistic enthusiasm or their ability to endure lengthy, mundane line-sitting...

ghostlyorb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
Virginia, USA
Yeah.. I saw some people (not Asian) get 5 or 6 iPads on launch day. I don't see that as fair! I was near the end of the line and got one.. but still.

NTBRNWSHD

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2011
I've never understood racism when stating known facts about a certain group of people. obviously there are exceptions but certain groups of people do certain things. I'm Italian Canadian, and while I've only been to NYC once I'm wondering where all the Italians from little Italy are and why aren't they snatching up iPads for shipment back to Italy?

The people from these regions (asia) do this kind of stuff and calling them a racist is absurd. I live in Vancouver Canada (lots of caucasians) and every summer there is a place called the "night markets" where you can buy cheap stuff. Stuff like knock off LV and Coach bags, sunglasses, imitation electronics etc. Do you know who run these markets? Not the English or Euros BUT the Asians. Now at first you can say, 'HEY HEY HEY' that's racist but really it's not. They are the ones with the supply chains and contacts in china for these very goods.

So with the iPads, pretty sure all these good are not being sent to Omaha Nebraska. So the people with all the contacts and the buyers waiting are buying up all the stock and shipping it there. Racist? :rolleyes:

every time im driving and i see a car with Hello kitty stuff in the back window and on the dash I think to myself they must be of asian decent. Then when I pull up beside them I find they are. Now that doesn't mean all asians have hello kitty plastered across their car but in my own little world all hello kitty cars are. am I a racist for thinking this or is it just a cultural norm?

If i look at someone from behind and he has really greasy hair and i say "well, he must be Italian", am I being racist or just stating a "cultural norm" b/c certain portions of that culture like that wet look....

It was once a "cultural norm" in America to refer to certain races in very derogatory terms but it certainly was not right and neither is this. Ashamed to be associated with you as a fellow Canadian.....

omni

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
This.

I am quite sick and tired of the PC police passing judgement on any description used. It is an objective fact that the vast majority if not the entire majority of the mules in line are Asian. You draw your own social conclusions about that.

Someone is white.

rawlus

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2009
Boston
Ftr. The defenders using the term Asian Americans are also rolling out the jump to conclusions mat... I think the only solution is to investigate, determine not only the nationality but also the legal status of all those mules in line and then plot it out on a chart for objective analysis.... I feel pretty confident that the "mule pool" will not be predominantly American of any race... Is it racist to say the mules are not American too? I think the evidence will prove they re predominantly Asian, with perhaps some eastern and western European thrown in here and there.

NTBRNWSHD

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2011

The point is, if you are a consumer and you show up every day and are always 100th in line, regardless of the time you show up, and the first 100 are illegal, Asian mules... Then I think it's fair to say blame the asians...

Regardless of apples policies or actions, there is a character deficiency and questionable moral compass involved in becoming a mule to manipulate the free market. These are not people who command a great deal of respect, I do not applaud their opportunistic enthusiasm or their ability to endure lengthy, mundane line-sitting...

LOL - you make absolutely no sense! Learn to put together a coherent thought before you post.....

You would go as far as saying they're illegal immigrants? How would you know?? What qualifies you to determine that? You know, anyone can buy a ticket from abroad to get to NYC to buy their device. You known those blokes from the UK that bought for their friends or those kids from Russia that came in and bought YOUR supply of iPads, they're visitors in your country as well and they bought your stock...you should be upset.

If you're always the 100th in line, then you're not as hungry as those in front of you. I've passed the 5th ave store late at night and even this past sunday in the aft, there were no lines, people were flowing in and out. So if you wanted to bust your chops and get out there, I'm sure you could have been the first guy there on a soggy monday morning.

"Moral compass in becoming a mule to manipulate the free market?" WTF does this even mean. Don't use big fancy phrases if you don't know how to apply them.....How are the manipulating the free market? They ARE the market makers taking advantage of impatient consumers who can't just wait a few weeks for their device and will pay handsomely for it. They're taking advantage of this system of impatient consumption that is most of america and I applaud them for it.

what they are doing, the resellers, is EXACTLY what capitalism teaches. This is what this country's whole economic system is based on....sell something that is in high demand and low supply to the highest bidder. Maximize profits for you and your constituents. This is entrepreneurialism and capitalism at its core. If you don't like, move....

MSUSpartan

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
This.

So they're also illegals now. Now all we need is to call immigration and deport all these freeloaders who deprives us of our iPads.

The point is resellers come in all races and backgrounds, and one group should not be singled out even though they seem to stick out because they look different, or the fact that they resell in Asia instead of locally on craigslist.

The statements you made, especially the last two paragraphs, are mind boggling. Thanks for backing up all of us who are saying there is anti-asian sentiments here.

7Elleven

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2011
TBH, I really don't care if these Asian resellers are poor, have no homes, or have no food. The fact is, It's not right and never will be right to buy up almost all of a product, and send it off to Hong Kong. These Ipad's were meant for the wholesome citizens of America, euro trash can wait till Friday!

NTBRNWSHD

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2011
Anti Asian sentiment still exists today.
Did you know that Asians can't buy real estate in Florida?
Yes, there is a law in Florida that makes it illegal to buy property there.

http://tampa.creativeloafing.com/gy...anti_asian_legacy_lives_on/Content?oid=558112

C'mon, are you seriously posting this? That is 100% not true. I know plenty of asian property owners in FLA. Don't perpetuate mediocrity....do some work and think about and fully research what you're posting.

owzer

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2009

Every time I am walking down the street and I see a slick greasy hair on a Cauasian male, I think to myself they must be of Italian decent. Then when I am next to them I find they are. Now that doesn't mean tha all Italians have slick greasy hair but in my own little world all people with slick greasy hair are. Am I a racist for thinking this or is this just a cultural norm?.... If the above statement sounds seriously retarded, then you only have to look at yourself in the mirror. Bigot. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

NTBRNWSHD

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2011
TBH, I really don't care if these Asian resellers are poor, have no homes, or have no food. The fact is, It's not right and never will be right to buy up almost all of a product, and send it off to Hong Kong. These Ipad's were meant for the wholesome citizens of America, euro trash can wait till Friday!

You live in America. Free enterprise is the rule. You can't just take the pieces you like in that, and forget the rest. You are free to buy and consume, and they are free to buy and resell. That's what makes America....well, America!

OatmealRocks

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
LOL - you make absolutely no sense! Learn to put together a coherent thought before you post.....

You would go as far as saying they're illegal immigrants? How would you know?? What qualifies you to determine that? You know, anyone can buy a ticket from abroad to get to NYC to buy their device. You known those blokes from the UK that bought for their friends or those kids from Russia that came in and bought YOUR supply of iPads, they're visitors in your country as well and they bought your stock...you should be upset.

If you're always the 100th in line, then you're not as hungry as those in front of you. I've passed the 5th ave store late at night and even this past sunday in the aft, there were no lines, people were flowing in and out. So if you wanted to bust your chops and get out there, I'm sure you could have been the first guy there on a soggy monday morning.

"Moral compass in becoming a mule to manipulate the free market?" WTF does this even mean. Don't use big fancy phrases if you don't know how to apply them.....How are the manipulating the free market? They ARE the market makers taking advantage of impatient consumers who can't just wait a few weeks for their device and will pay handsomely for it. They're taking advantage of this system of impatient consumption that is most of america and I applaud them for it.

what they are doing, the resellers, is EXACTLY what capitalism teaches. This is what this country's whole economic system is based on....sell something that is in high demand and low supply to the highest bidder. Maximize profits for you and your constituents. This is entrepreneurialism and capitalism at its core. If you don't like, move....

Thank you! Thank you!!! I don't get why people are so butt hurt about this situation. It is as if they LIVE such a high moral code (all the time) that they can start being critical of others. It is capitalism.. line up earlier if you don't like. If you want to compete.. be organizer, be efficient and hire a bunch of people and start strategically organizer your own little group buy.

OatmealRocks

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009

" Wholesome Citizens"..Prejudice and a racist! BRAVO!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.