• Yes, I use Whatsapp and rarely use the 'traditional SMS'

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Yes, I use BlackBerry Messenger and rarely use the 'traditional SMS'

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I use iMessage and rarely use the 'traditional SMS'

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • Yes, I use Kik messenger and rarely use the 'traditional SMS'

• Yes, I use a combination of alternatives and rarely use the 'traditional SMS'

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Yes, I use another alternative and rarely use the 'traditional SMS'

• Yes, I use an alternative named above, but I still text (SMS) quite a lot

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • No, I am not using any alternatives

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • No, I don't text at all (or rarely)

• Total voters

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
I just read this on BGR: http://www.bgr.com/2012/08/16/sms-market-analysis-revenue-whatsapp/.

It's an article about how carriers in the Netherlands used to overcharge text messages and maintained a minimum of 90% profit margins, and that nowadays Dutch carriers are having trouble to make profit on text messages. Why? Because everyone started to use an alternative: Whatsapp. You basically use your internet connection to text.

What are your thoughts on this? And do you already use texting alternatives?

Last edited:

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
I just read this on BGR: http://www.bgr.com/2012/08/16/sms-market-analysis-revenue-whatsapp/.

It's an article about how carriers in the Netherlands used to overcharge text messages with profit margins of at least 90%, and that nowadays Dutch carriers are having trouble to make profit on text messages. Why? Because everyone started to use an alternative: Whatsapp. You basically use your internet connection to text.

What are your thoughts on this? And do you already use texting alternatives?
90% profit margin on SMS? That seems low considering the cost for it is nearly $0.

But can't be surprised, if the charge for it is more than people are willing to pay, and there's a sort of alternative that's free, then it's an easy guess what can happen.

Also, I use iMessage and SMS. I really couldn't care for whatsapp or other services like that. I dislike having to rely on other people using the service as well. SMS/iMessage for messaging, and Email for anything else.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I use unlimited text and if people have imessage it pulls from that. I guess I could change plans, but I get a 25% discount so I don't think it would make that big of a difference

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I use unlimited text and if people have imessage it pulls from that. I guess I could change plans, but I get a 25% discount so I don't think it would make that big of a difference
What carrier do you use?

----------

$240/year for SMS? Geez. Is that the $20 AT&T option? No wonder people are trying to find alternatives.
Yea, AT&T has either $20 unlimited or pay per text (incoming and outgoing)... They changed it when iMessage came out. If i had full understood iMessage at first, I would have lowered my plan before they caught on.

Zaft

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Majority of people i text are on imessage. Not that it really matters to me seeing as i have unlimited text anyway. But imessage is faster and has some nice add ons.;)

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I iMessage the 5-6 people I regularly talk to who have iPhones and regularly text everyone else A LOT. Usually send 500-1500 texts a month so not ready to give up my texting plan yet