Artificial Intelligence/Aliens

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jpgr15, Oct 3, 2015.

1. jpgr15 macrumors 6502a

Posted a couple of links to news stories below - the first regarding artificial intelligence and the second aliens - both equally creepy subject matter. What do you guys think? Legitimate concerns or simple fear mongering? I've never been one to worry too much about this stuff but these articles both give me the creeps.

I know the two different subjects seem random but Stephen Hawking has said that if it's not one, it'll be the other.

AI:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/super-robot-makes-sinister-promises-6361329

Aliens:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...cist-claims-nomadic-aliens-destroy-world.html

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I'm concerned about uncontrolled AI development. Not at all worried at all about aliens from outer space.

3. jpgr15 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've never really believed too much in aliens but when you consider the sheer size of the universe, it's not ufathomable to speculate there might be other intelligent beings.

In terms of AI it sounds scary but I'm not technically inclined enough to determine how much of a threat it really is.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If AI ever gets to the point where it's not just a bunch of fancy statistics run on large data training sets we might be in trouble, the main problem is that we don't really understand what being concious really is, so it's hard to know when you've stepped over the line.

And if a AI were unleashed they would also be the best candidates for long term space travel, so we don't necessarily have to create it ourselves to be screwed over.

Long time donor to the SETI project as well so Im definitely on the side of hoping there is other life out there.

5. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

6. jpgr15 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's a frightening concept :confused:

7. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

sometimes I get that feeling listening to really conservative christians.

8. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I read an interesting article recently that brought up questions about our subconscious, and its effect on our higher level consciousness. There's a phenomenon called blindsight, where people who lose their sight due to brain injury, but still have perfectly functional eyes. Their brain is still processing visual information, they're just not aware of it, and don't react to it on a conscious level.

It's strange because they can still sense facial expressions, navigate around objects, and generally act like they can still see to a limited degree, but they're almost entirely unaware of it. When they sense a facial expression, they just believe they're assuming someone is happy or angry, and respond in kind. When they move around a box in their way, it's an automatic response, they're not aware they stepped to the side to avoid it.

The implications of it is that our higher level consciousness is built upon a framework of automatic behavior we're only just now coming to understand. It's like if you had the knowledge to do so, you could remove parts of their brain, basically killing the "person" inside, and still have a body walking around, performing complex tasks by habit, almost like a muscle flexing to outside stimulus. You wouldn't be having any deep philosophical discussions with them, since there isn't a person in there to appreciate the universe around them on an intellectual level. But they'd still be walking around, making their pot of coffee, and grabbing the newspaper like they always do during their morning ritual, giving you weird, empty stares when you get in their way. Like an overly complex automaton.

This is why I don't think we're going to have human level AI anytime soon. We're focusing too much on the top layers, ignoring everything underneath that makes it possible. It's like we're trying to build a skyscraper starting from the 100th floor, while having no idea what the foundation looks like.

9. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

10. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

12. Tech198 macrumors G4

AI has a better chance anyway ..than us ever discovering aliens...

13. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

John Smart's transcension hypothesis "proposes that once civilizations saturate their local region of space with their intelligence, they need to leave our visible, macroscopic universe in order to continue exponential growth of complexity and intelligence, and disappear from this universe, thus explaining the Fermi Paradox."

In other words, we're looking for super-intelligent aliens in the wrong places. They left the building (we've in) long ago, because of AI...

14. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Yes, but...

It would explain a lot, wouldn't it?

Is Trump the new Godzilla that is set loose at random to destroy the SIM towns and villages?

Hmm...
    --- Post Merged, Jan 5, 2016 ---
    There is a new team on BOINC called 'Residents of Trantor' to honor the Foundation series of books by Isaac Asimov.

I've got three machines in the team already, and am already better than 75% of the other groups (in the top 25%). Jump in if you can...

15. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

The day Aliens arrive and say 'take me to your leader' is the day the world elects Donald Trump as president of Earth and true leader of all Earthlings ever.

16. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

The day aliens arrive... Whose aliens? We leave earth with some sciency contraption and land on a different planet... or they leave their planet and land on ours.

I absolutely do not rule out intelligent life on other planets. If you think earth is the only planet, in the universe, to develop life or intelligence you are lacking in your thought.

17. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

So you don't believe in aliens? You think 'we' are the only ones in the universe? Hmm... Possible.

I'm more for the idea that proof that we aren't alone in the universe will cause people to think twice about the stupid crap they pull on everyone and result in a better planet to live on.

And I know Trump is just in it for the short term benefits. He doesn't care what happens after he's dead, but the problem with actions like that is that the world could go to crap before he dies, and then what? Oh, that's right, he can move, and you can't.

Ask him how many American corporations stocks he is shorting? Shorting a stock is betting it will go down. If he's honest, he'll probably tell you a lot of his investments are short sales of American corporate stocks.

How does Goldman Sachs win in a losing market? Short sales. Betting America will fail. Trump betting he will fail. He wins either way, but we lose big time if he fails. People like that have no drive to succeed if they win either way, wouldn't you say? But enough politics.

On to aliens...

Kin Jun Un a space alien? I'd vote yes...:cool:
    --- Post Merged, Jan 5, 2016 ---
    Or it's a big waste of space...

18. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Who was that for? it clearly wasn't a response to my joke.

19. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

So spread like a virus? Yeah...

20. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Another one. Bloody hell guys, learn to spot a joke when you see one.

21. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Sorry dude, or dudette...

You just can't tell these days. I told a joke to the guy doing my bathroom, and he used the wrong grout for my tile. Likely on purpose. He threw a total fit when I pointed it out. Said it was 'My fault'... Hmm. Yeah, for hiring a 'friend of a friend' and not realizing he was 'of the body', brain washed...

Also got lectured by my brother on what a 'damn good president Trump would be'. Told him about short sales, and he said 'Of course Trump wouldn't do that!'. Yeah, of course he WOULD!

Moving on now...

22. Goatllama, Jan 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2016

Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

Or maybe a big game of Dwarf Fortress. :eek:

Edit: Oh my goodness, my first Politics/Religion post!

23. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

Anyone who reads it. And it was actually a response to your joke.

24. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here.
    and
    Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.
    – Arthur C. Clarke

As for AI, one of the biggest missing pieces is motivation. Computers respond to us, do something sort of like what we tell them to. Humans have needs – hunger, elimination, horniness, survival, things that a computer cannot just plug in to. If the power cuts out, it is a small gap in the computer's existence which ends when power and system function is restored. The fact that we cannot just reboot is a significant aspect that is very hard to replicate for an AI.

And, well, why did van Gogh paint Sunflowers, Vivaldi compose Seasons or Voltaire write Candide? These things derive from our biological motivations, coupled with the chemical stew that forms our emotions and, again, the fact that our existence is continuous and strictly contiguous.

When a machine does a thing all on its own for reasons that are not readily apparent, then we will know that AI has arrived. In the meantime, I look forward to highly sophisticated computers that can construct elaborate, engrossing cinematic experiences each day that may be somewhat similar but will make me laugh, cringe, cry and barf and come out differently every time.

25. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Welcome to the dark side... o_O