Artist Banksy work in Calais 'Jungle' shows Steve Jobs as migrant

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by James Craner, Dec 11, 2015.

1. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

_87170596_87170595.jpg

The graffiti artist Banksy has created a new artwork in the so-called Jungle refugee camp in Calais depicting the late Steve Jobs.

The artwork shows Jobs, the son of a Syrian migrant, carrying an early Apple computer and a bin bag of possessions.

The work is intended to draw attention to the benefits of migration, Banksy said.

Link to BBC Article

2. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Meanwhile, in an alternate universe, Steve Jobs was just brought before the House Un-American Activities Committee and asked “Are you now, or have you ever been a radical Buddhist terrorist?”.

3. Happybunny macrumors 68000

According to a book that many people around the world revere, a young family of three became refugees in Egypt, because the king of Judea wanted to kill their son.

2000 years later the so called followers of this same child turn their collective back on their fellow humans.

4. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

He was given up for adoption and raised by white people...

5. FieldingMellish Suspended

Jobs appears on the run with stolen swag, given the way that Banksy positioned Jobs. It's like he's poised to bolt at a split second's notice.

6. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

So only Christians are against refugees entering the country?

7. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Agreed. I think the media's been reading this work way too superficially.

There's a more complex message that doesn't stop at Jobs' tenuous "migrant" status. I think the artist is trying to make us reflect on where our own ancestors came from (in many cases, strife-torn countries if we go back far enough).

The next step is to compare our ancestors dangerous and uncertain world with our current luxuriously affluent one. We're all rich now, by yesterday's standards.

From there it's not a leap to see ourselves as Jobs (i.,e., comparatively rich) and, perhaps, reflect on whether we have an obligation to help today's less fortunate people? Because remember, Jobs was often criticised for NOT donating any of his "swag" to charity. That may be why Banksy depicted him in a deliberately ambiguous and unflattering pose. (Arriving Refugee? Departing Thief? You decide.)

I think it all boils down to a pictorial version of: "You can't take it with you". And a call to action.

8. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

One of those refugees will take down that wall and put it on eBay.

9. vrDrew macrumors 65816

That's why I love art.

Because - to be honest- when I first saw the painting, "thief" never entered my mind. But going back and looking at a little closer? Absolutely. The robber with the bag of swag over
    his shoulder was (and probably is) a staple of British kids comic books.

10. DoctorKrabs macrumors 6502a

DoctorKrabs

Rene Ritchie told me that trying to argue whether Steve would have approved of anything at Apple today is only desecration of Steve. What about this politicization of Steve? I think that's far worse desecration. And I can be 99% sure Steve would not want people using him as a symbol for Syrian migrants based on how he saw himself.

“They were my sperm and egg bank. That’s not harsh, it’s just the way it was, a sperm bank thing, nothing more.”
    -Steve Jobs​

11. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Which would be brilliant way for the artist to draw attention to the fact that some inhabitants of "civilized" countries will give (BIG) money for a lump of concrete, but ignore the plight of their fellow humans. Strong statement about values there.

So this could become a piece of "performance art", then, as well-heeled bidders try to claim the work for themselves? Is that what you're thinking?

12. Happybunny macrumors 68000

OMG the more I look at the image the more I do see a very furtive Steve Jobs, Banksy is the greatest artist of our times for social commentary.

13. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Banksy should've painted the Xerox Parc building behind him.

14. FieldingMellish Suspended

Banksy's illustration is what should have been the poster for Danny Boyle's Steve Jobs film.

15. vrDrew, Dec 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2015

vrDrew macrumors 65816

That may very well be true.

But I'm also sure that Donald Trump wouldn't want to be portrayed as the descendant of Freidrich Trump, an immigrant - and economic refugee - from 19th century Germany.

Steve Jobs, for all his accomplishments, wasn't some sort of secular saint or prophet for the 21st century. He was a human being with a complicated past, like pretty much all of us.

Like all great art, Banksy's latest creation works on multiple levels; causing us to question our own beliefs and assumptions. As we stock up on our latest shiny Apple Watches; iPads; MacBooks; and iPhones this holiday season - maybe we ought to consider what we're doing to help those in the world who are in desperate need.

And if Banksy's Calais painting causes the blowhards and demagogues of Europe and the US a tiny bit of
    embarrassment or reflection - thats all good too.

Banksy apparently sees the current refugee crisis, and the reaction among politicians and citizens in the US and western Europe as one of the most significant of our time.

He apparently has donated the proceeds of his "Dismaland" installation to aid refugees. But he also painted this picture in the Calais refugee "jungle":

[​IMG]

Look carefully at this. On one level you see desperate, dead and dying refugees waving frantically from a waterlogged raft at a luxury yacht as it sails away from them.

But look a little closer. Doesn't this picture remind you of something you've seen before, in a completely different context?

[​IMG]

Washington Crossing the Delaware. And if you look at the refugee raft again, you'll notice that its sail is actually the US flag.

16. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Bansky art attracts hundreds of thousands of dollars.

17. FieldingMellish Suspended

And I thought you were going to compare it to raising the flag at Iwo Jima....

As to your linked Banksy, whereas you see desperate, dead and dying refugees waving frantically from a waterlogged raft as a luxury yacht as it sails away from them, others see what will be left of America.

(notice the starts and stripes?)

18. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Everyone generation since the founding of the country has fretted over Group A or Group B bringing about the destruction of everything we hold dear.

America: No Blacks, No Irish.

19. FieldingMellish Suspended

Yes, in those days it was 100% about jobs and prospects, none was about fears of death and destruction and being specifically flown in care of the Obama administration, doing his part of the One World Order.

20. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

When is the last time a black person or Irish person flew planes into skyscrapers and killed over 3000 Americans...? I might have missed that. Was it on MSNBC?

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The Banksy work is clearly based on the Raft of the Medusa, by Theodore Gericault, which is on display at the Louvre, not on George Washington.

22. vrDrew macrumors 65816

It is. Thanks for pointing that out.

23. FieldingMellish Suspended

By the way, check out this Mellish-approved docu-flick on Banksy and others artists, and their uneasy relationship with a groupie-cum videographer who documented their exploits and then went onto capitalize on it.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1587707/

24. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

What's with all of these comparisons between early Europeans migrating to near nothingness to build a country and today's refugees migrating to live off of the fruits of hard sacrifice and labor? Sometimes jumping from less plush countries in east and south Europe to places like Germany to take advantage of better economies? No, this isn't the same thing, when Trump's ancestors migrated you either worked hard or died of starvation. Today's migrants to Canada will get free housing, better dental care programs than citizens, free health care, what amounts to a salary for doing nothing, food allotments, and probably some tv and cell phones to boot.

25. sim667 macrumors 65816

Because Steve Jobbs built one of the largest profit businesses on the planet, evaded tax relentllessly and for a long time turned a blind eye to abuse of workers in there factory. All whilst selling closed source, information scraping devices to the mass market.....

No I can't see why steve jobbs is being politicised in the slightest ;)