As a gay man, I'm terrified right now...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Oct 24, 2011.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

...honestly. If the right wins the next election, we are going to get hit hard. They will definitely deliver on their promises. This has been on my mind a lot lately. We could very easily lose everything we've fought for if we end up with a Republican president. I have been encouraged by what I've seen from the public recently, but if we end up with a Republican in the WH, I give up. We'll be screwed for at least another ten years, if not more.

For those of you who think the Republicans are fiscally responsible, you need look no further than the Bush administration. Don't be stupid. Don't throw your fellow man's rights under the bus for what you think you might get. Because you won't get what you want and we will suffer too- way more than you do.

I know Obama is not perfect. Hell, I've bitched about him a ton on this website. But if this country is going to do what it claims- stand for equality for all, we cannot let the right get in the White House. If you thought Bush sucked, you have no idea what these people will do.

Bush was bad- these people will be far worse.

2. Illumination macrumors regular

I really don't think any of them stand a chance. Their moral values are so ridiculously archaic that I feel it will be a HUGE step backwards. Especially Michele Bachmann: "Gay people are seven times more likely to commit suicide than straight people." Gee, I wonder why Michele...

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Using that logic one could say right wing Christian fundamentalist are 10 times more likely to commit a hate crime.

I wouldn't worry Lee. There's no way in hell one of those nuts will win the election.

4. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes. but the country is in such a bad state financially. There have been posters here who have literally stated that while they are for equal rights, they would vote for one of these morons just because of the economy. I would hope that by now, people would realize that the right cares little for the economy and more about power.

W won- twice.

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Lee, the primaries make the candidates pander to their base. Part of the right's base includes the über-fundamentalist hate-filled "Christians." There is no way that even if they garnered their party's nomination, they would prevail in the more centrist general election. Even the Republicans realize this. In this era of 24 hour coverage, it's hard to run from idiotic, hate-filled sound bites.

6. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Herman Cain even gave in to them and said he'd vote for an anti gay marriage amendment. They've all signed the pledge to "protect" marriage.

7. W1MRK macrumors 6502

Lee, many are all talk. Ok sorry, MOST are all talk. Standing at the podium promising everything to both sides to get elected. I do not see Gay rights wavering. In fact I see it increasing. No single politician makes law. Ohh wait your from Chicago, Nevermind that last statement :) LOL

Seriously I would not worry

8. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I thought this was going to be about Stuart Walker.

9. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

There's your proof. Herman Cain didn't say that. He said he would sign the amendment. Most people know the president doesn't sign a constitutional amendment. He is clueless.

The guy is blowing smoke out his mouth and the more normal voter knows this .

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

The most electable candidate the GOP has is romimy. Trick is he has to win the primary and that is still up in the area.

If the gop gets it you all need to hit the courts hard fighting every single law they attempt to pass.

11. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

That's what people said when Bush got elected. Look what happened. He set us back years. I AM worried. These people are scary, and they could get elected just because people are upset with Obama.

I'm 44 years old. I have been fighting this fight since I was 19. I'm tired of this crap. It needs to end.

12. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Way to ratchet up the drama there, Lee. The first and only priority is the economy for any president. Gay/civil issues are just a side show; and nothing will change from what it is now.

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

sadly from the GOP I could easily see them change course as soon as they get office. They do not care about the public at all. We could all live in slums with no plumbing and as long as the mega rich get more they are happy.

14. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep- exactly right. These people are frightening. If OG thinks they're great, well....I have nothing left to say.

Glad to see you care more about money than civil rights OG, but hey- nothing new there. And if you think any of these douchebags will help the economy, well, I have lots of very valuable property in Florida to sell you.

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I will be voting Democrat this round. The right has veered off the course I once supported.

Regardless of who is elected, I am really pessimistic about the future of our country.

The older I get, the more scared I become.

16. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Dukey- thanks. It's getting scary out there.

17. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

It has nothing to do with what I care about. The economy is the number one issue for whomever the president will be. You're friends down at the OWS rally aren't sitting there for same-sex marriage, they're sitting there for economic reasons, namely wealth redistribution.

18. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

and you really think the GOP can or will fix this mess. They are the ones that got us here in the first place. The rich got richer from this mess and the rest of us suffered (hey look GOP got what they wanted)

They will make things worse not better and chances are really good if they get power they are going to say screw everyone and push there own social crap. Hell if they though they could get away with it they would blame the Gays for our economic problems.

19. W1MRK macrumors 6502

It used to be a silent fight, then it slowly became a vocal fight for equal rights. It has become such a movement that LGB can serve openly in the military where 25 years ago the thought of such a prospect was unimaginable. No politician will try and turn back a clock on that. Sure they may speak of it and promise to uphold "Family Values" but come time for payment to those they promised, most of them can't find their checkbook let alone cash the checks they have written.

Talk is all they have at this stage, nothing else. They are putting on a show that to me is a lot like the Pedigree championship. Which one is combed the best, can follow their masters wishes (contributors), jump through hoops, and look good for the voters. Its a dog show.

They all want the bone. After they finished it they forgot what they were doing and go dig holes in the budget.

The LGBT community is a large and powerful one. To the point that most politicians will talk but not walk when it comes time.

Do not know if any of this will put you at ease but thought i would try :)

----------

Can you tell I hate politics :) LOL

20. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Wrong. I have seen this clock turned back before. Bush did it to us. Reagan did far worse. Do not ever think that there are not enough jerks in the world.

21. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

Eh, I don't know if I would be to worried. It's easy to pander to your radical base when you're a candidate, its much more difficult to successfully reverse recently passed laws that have popular support.

Kind of like many gun owners had a lot of fear right after Obama was elected. He has a strong personal opinion on the issue of gun ownership that is well documented, but so far he hasn't made it an issue because he knows that it won't be successful.

I like how you left out Clinton...

22. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

If I am not mistaken, Ron Paul won't do anything "set back" gay marriage. He is a candidate.

23. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah, he would just let everyone else do it for him.

24. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

Maybe not, who knows.

25. Andeavor macrumors 6502

You should not worry about anything bad happening at this point in time, Lee. even if the right wins the election, they cannot put the lid back on the boiling pot. Just look at the response proposed anti-gay laws and regulations are getting these days. I'm sure that human rights - in some form - will counteract any unjust decision from the right that would limit your own.

On top of that, nobody - and I mean NOBODY - outside the US takes any GOP member seriously. In our view they're all clowns. They're more likely to successfully sue Saint Peter for the bad weather than convincing the rest of the world they are still number one, because they (the US) haven't been for some time.

Political progress can't be reversed but halted, so don't be afraid of what's to come. No matter which side wins, it may turn out just the way it should, better.