As an app developer, would you prefer a 'simple life' or to make $50,000 per day?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by thermal, Feb 10, 2014.

?

Take your pick

1. A simple life please

9 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. $50,000 per day please

60 vote(s)
    87.0%
  1. thermal macrumors regular

If you were an iPhone app developer, would you prefer your app give you a 'simple life', or for it to make you $50,000 per day plus the accompanying frustrations?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

$50k a day can hire a handful of people who can deal with a majority of the frustrations(while introducing a few of their own).

3. Smartass macrumors 6502a

i'd pay 50k to some people so they go and beat the flappy birds creator for being such a "i dont need attention and money" fool:cool:

4. Mrbobb, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014

Mrbobb macrumors 601

If u have to ask that question, you are a lazy bum who can't be bothered to work hard todsy to build a better future.

However, don't kid yourself kid, for every angry bird success, there are 10,000 developers who are still struggling to pay off that top-of-the-line home office invested in before even a single dime came in.

5. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

well 50k a day is 18,250,000 a year. i don't know who wouldn't do that.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yeah, I think I'd put up with the frustrations for a year and then go enjoy the simple life a hell of a lot richer.

8. SmileyBlast! macrumors 6502a

SmileyBlast!

Aye!

9. eddyecb macrumors regular

10. thermal thread starter macrumors regular

Obviously not. In real life, no app developer would forgo $50,000 per day....

11. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Perhaps the individual who prefers a simple life can already support the desired lifestyle, making the $50k/day superfluous and merely a source of pain.

12. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I'm the kind of person who values education and having a mental well being above wealth. I get satisfaction from learning something new everyday and feel good whenever I reach a goal whether it be finishing a project, or just being productive all day.

If I were to release an app/game, my only hope is that the people who download it like it as much as I do. And that's pretty much it.

I already have everything I want. I have a roof above my head, I have food, I have a nice few gadgets and a computer, and that's pretty much all I need. I wouldn't know what to do with all that money except invest it, and make even more money that I don't need. I don't even consider charity donations in excess of $50.

13. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

If I was making $50,000 a day in revenue, I'd incorporate, hire people to work for me to deal with all the ********, then sit back and rake in the money. :D

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

It depends how much money I had in the bank. At a certain point money wouldn't be able to buy me the things I want anyways and I would just be collecting extra paper.

15. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

I would definitely take the 50K/day. First I would hire some go-getter, hungry college grad with a PR degree looking for a job to handle the media, and social media. And I would be working on ways to improve the game, add new levels, make second iterations etc.... But then again I currently work in an investment bank trading so I'm used to the fast paced pressure. Its not for everyone.

16. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

When I develop my app, I know who I am going to contact! :D

50K a day for me. All day long.

17. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

This is the dream.

18. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

Why does life have to be all about the money with people?

Yes, obviously, we need some money to live in today's world comfortably. If a person chooses to live comfortably and doesn't wish to rake in the big bucks, then who are you people to judge them for it?

Mind your own damn business.

19. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

Why doesn't somebody just take this Flappy Bird game, basically copy it, change a few features/visuals, call it Floppy Bird or Flappy Duck or something, and just pick up where this developer left off??

20. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

The story doesn't make sense. Something must have happened.. he may have been getting threats asking for money etc. It's probably true, something happened that turned his life into a nightmare but don't for a second think he just packed up without some reason why that he isn't willing or able to share.

21. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I'm not an app developer. But I'm self employed and I prefer the simple life. As long as I have enough money to pay rent, tax and food; I'm all good.

I'm not really a fan of money. Or at least having a lot of it.

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'd take the $50,000/day, thank you very much.

23. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

Bring on the funds. Money isn't everything, but if you have enough of it, you lack for nothing, and can ensure your comfort and the comfort and security of loved ones. Isn't this why we all get out of bed every morning, or am I doing it wrong?

I'm sure there are over two dozen being furiously pounded out in Xcode as we speak . . .

24. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

I have to imagine there are. I can't believe there isn't a "clone" of this game out already. I know nothing about creating apps/games, and I never played this game, but just by looking at it and hearing about it, it looks/sounds like a pretty simple concept. The money is there to be had, nothing about it (other than the obvious Nintendo visuals) seems proprietary, the original creator obviously doesn't care if the game does or doesn't exist...

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Is everyone in the world just money hungry these days?

I'd want enough to live comfortably and have a shop out back to tinker and build with. I have no desire to be a face in the media, which is all that has happened to this developer.

Believe it or not, not everyone wants to be a friggin rockstar. :rolleyes:

----------

This guy gets it.