Carrier As an AT&T user, should I get the AT&T or T-Mobile iPhone 7?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by omizzle, Sep 8, 2016.

1. omizzle macrumors regular

From what I understand, the Verizon/Sprint phones would technically be the best option, but those are locked at launch until they release some "sim-free" version?

That said, unlocked compatibility with GSM is most important to me, so should I get the T-Mobile or AT&T model? Or does it matter?

2. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Verizon phones are all unlocked, however you need a verizon account to order.

3. omizzle thread starter macrumors regular

Ah **** ok. What about Sprint?

4. benjamintm macrumors member

Verizon and Sprint are CDMA based, while T-Mobile and AT&T are GSM based. You won't be able to use a Verizon/Sprint iPhone 7 on AT&T/T-Mobile, or vice versa:
    http://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/08/att-and-tmobile-iphone-7-models-lack-cdma/

If you want an unlocked phone from the start, T-Mobile ships unlocked (just put your AT&T sim in). With an AT&T phone you will need to contact AT&T to unlock.

Ben

5. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

6. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

From what I've been able to gather, we will want the A1660 or A1661 models. This will be the ones to support both GSM and CDMA.

7. benjamintm macrumors member

You're right. Apparently the Sprint/Verizon model will support GSM. I misread that part of the article.

8. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Not your fault, changed for this release. Guess issues with the chip, royalties, etc. Kind of a bummer tbh, takes value away of the unlocked phone and adds value to certain models.

9. perkedel macrumors 6502a

perkedel

I got the TMo last year unlocked. iPhone 7 they have the same sku a1778/a1784 for ATT/TMo.
    Other than T-Mobile account bookmark in Safari on DFU, no other non stock app installed. Not sure about the AT&T one.