As Homeless Line Up for Food, Los Angeles Weighs Restrictions

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 11, 2010
LOS ANGELES — They began showing up at dusk last week, wandering the streets, slumped in wheelchairs and sitting on sidewalks, paper plates perched on their knees. By 6:30 p.m., more than 100 homeless people had lined up at a barren corner in Hollywood, drawn by free meals handed out from the back of a truck every night by volunteers.

But these days, 27 years after the Greater West Hollywood Food Coalition began feeding people in a county that has one of the worst homeless problems in the nation, the charity is under fire, a flashpoint in the national debate over the homeless and the programs that serve them.

Facing an uproar from homeowners, two members of the Los Angeles City Council have called for the city to follow the lead of dozens of other communities and ban the feeding of homeless people in public spaces.

“If you give out free food on the street with no other services to deal with the collateral damage, you get hundreds of people beginning to squat,” said Alexander Polinsky, an actor who lives two blocks from the bread line. “They are living in my bushes and they are living in my next door neighbor’s crawl spaces. We have a neighborhood which now seems like a mental ward.”
Not surprising, really. The mental wards are closed, and, the mentally ill homeless are, well, homeless. Now, people are complaining because they are being fed.

“They are helping human beings,” said Debra Morris, seated in a wheelchair as she ate the evening’s offering of pasta with tomato sauce. “I can barely pay my own rent.”

There are now about 53,800 homeless people in Los Angeles County, according to the 2013 Annual Homeless Assessment Report released by the Department of Housing and Urban Development last week, a 27 percent increase over last year. Only New York had a higher homeless population.

The problem is particularly severe here because of the temperate climate that makes it easier to live outdoors, cuts in federal spending on the homeless, and a court-ordered effort by California to shrink its prison population, said Mike Arnold, the executive director of the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority, an agency created by the city and county in 1993.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/26/us/as-homeless-line-up-for-food-los-angeles-weighs-restrictions.html?src=me&ref=general

Somebody remind me how we got here. Oh nevermind.

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
What can you do :(.
Spend a tiny fraction of what's being spent in "defense" into building spartan housing and make them pay for their accomodation by doing community work/maintenance chores of their own accomodations. Spend some more in psychologists, basic teaching...

Not just feed them once a day, and wait for the situation to solve itself (it won't, once you reach a certain point in poverty, there's no going back)

Andeavor

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
Spend a tiny fraction of what's being spent in "defense" into building spartan housing and make them pay for their accomodation by doing community work/maintenance chores of their own accomodations. Spend some more in psychologists, basic teaching...

Not just feed them once a day, and wait for the situation to solve itself (it won't, once you reach a certain point in poverty, there's no going back)
This. But noooooooo, they will never be so selfless to spend all that money in their own helpless citizens.

The country is a joke.

Why don't they just put an expiration date on a citizenship after you drop out of the system? When you hit the given time after not being able to pay taxes you get collected and thrown over the border. End of problem.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Why don't they just put an expiration date on a citizenship after you drop out of the system? When you hit the given time after not being able to pay taxes you get collected and thrown over the border. End of problem.
Are you serious?

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Why not? Reps and Dems have suggested more idiotic ways to deal with citizenship - legal or not.
Like what?

Deporting all the illegal immigrants is more
sensible than your argument as at least there is somewhere to send them.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
This. But noooooooo, they will never be so selfless to spend all that money in their own helpless citizens.
Yeah sure, they're all helpless citizens of "Greater West Hollywood" :rolleyes:.

Ever been to southern California? Great weather, really nice winters (and summers), generally very generous citizens. I once worked at St Vincent's de Pauls in San Diego. Of the thousands of helpless customers served there, my guess is greater than 90% were previous citizens of other states. They didn't arrive in Southern California until well AFTER they became "helpless citizens" elsewhere.

There is some truth to Field of Dreams: "If you build it, he will come".

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Yeah sure, they're all helpless citizens of "Greater West Hollywood" :rolleyes:.

Ever been to southern California? Great weather, really nice winters (and summers), generally very generous citizens. I once worked at St Vincent's de Pauls in San Diego. Of the thousands of helpless customers served there, my guess is greater than 90% were previous citizens of other states. They didn't arrive in Southern California until well AFTER they became "helpless citizens" elsewhere.

Definitely sounds like there is truth to that.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Make it illegal to buy alcohol without an ID with a current address.

Hoarded will move to the next city over within days.
You're missing the point of this whole puff piece: it's a flame troll and you're feeding it.

There is NO GOOD REASON not to have reasonable restrictions on charity; the real question is: is this restriction reasonable?

My experience is in southern California, with an abundance of charitable organizations delivering goods and services, including church, community, and governmental, it is entirely reasonable for a community to restrict distribution from "public places" like street corners.

Last edited:

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
the solution is soilent green. then use that to feed the homeless. Crap I just made the new goal of the GOP public.

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 11, 2010
Waiting in anticipation of the post that suggests auctioning off the poor on Ebay...
See "A Modest Proposal" by Jonathan Swift.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Modest_Proposal

Other states have been "dumping" for decades. Lawsuits go back decades. Oddly, it is still going on:

San Francisco sues Nevada over ‘patient dumping’
By Cynthia Hubert and Phillip Reese
chubert@sacbee.com
Published: Tuesday, Sep. 10, 2013 - 6:12 pm
Last Modified: Wednesday, Sep. 11, 2013 - 10:34 am

The state of Nevada and its primary psychiatric hospital “intentionally and wrongfully” foisted the cost of caring for indigent mentally ill people onto California cities and counties by issuing patients bus tickets out of town without making proper arrangements for their care, a lawsuit filed Tuesday in San Francisco charges.

San Francisco City Attorney Dennis Herrera filed the class-action lawsuit against Nevada, Rawson-Neal Psychiatric Hospital in Las Vegas and state mental health administrators, seeking reimbursement for the care of indigent patients he said the system “dumped” onto California in an effort to save money.
http://www.sacbee.com/2013/08/27/5683406/us-probe-turns-up-more-homeless.html

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/09/10/5723995/san-francisco-files-class-action.html

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
They could just ban giving out food in residential zones.

Or designate an area of public property, like a corner of a park, for feeding the homeless

I don't see why it has to be all or nothing.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
They could just ban giving out food in residential zones.

Or designate an area of public property, like a corner of a park, for feeding the homeless

I don't see why it has to be all or nothing.
Where do you read it's all or nothing. They already have plenty of places designated; enough that alley, street, or park delivery isn't needed. In San Diego we handed out a list with maps, where within walking distance you could get a meal 3 times a day, a shelter to sleep, twice a week hot shower 's and clean change of clothes, free medical and dental care, free child schooling and care, even set up employment interviews ........

A simple search of West Hollywood has pretty much the same available:

"Welcome to our Hollywood, California Homeless Shelters and Services for the needy page. Below are all of the homeless shelters and services for the needy that provide help to those in need for Hollywood, CA and surrounding cities. We also provide other homeless resources such as transitional resources for the homeless. Homeless clinic and treatment center resources are also provided on the right navigational bar. Many shelters also provide services such as alcohol and drug rehab treatment along with clinics."

http://www.homelessshelterdirectory.org/cgi-bin/id/city.cgi?city=Hollywood&state=CA

Hungry in West Hollywood?:

http://www.homelessshelterdirectory.org/cgi-bin/id/cityfoodbanks.cgi?city=West Hollywood&state=CA