As Homeless Line Up for Food, Los Angeles Weighs Restrictions

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Nov 27, 2013.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Not surprising, really. The mental wards are closed, and, the mentally ill homeless are, well, homeless. Now, people are complaining because they are being fed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/26/us/as-homeless-line-up-for-food-los-angeles-weighs-restrictions.html?src=me&ref=general

Somebody remind me how we got here. Oh nevermind.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Spend a tiny fraction of what's being spent in "defense" into building spartan housing and make them pay for their accomodation by doing community work/maintenance chores of their own accomodations. Spend some more in psychologists, basic teaching...

Not just feed them once a day, and wait for the situation to solve itself (it won't, once you reach a certain point in poverty, there's no going back)

4. Andeavor macrumors 6502

This. But noooooooo, they will never be so selfless to spend all that money in their own helpless citizens.

The country is a joke.

Why don't they just put an expiration date on a citizenship after you drop out of the system? When you hit the given time after not being able to pay taxes you get collected and thrown over the border. End of problem.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Are you serious?

6. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Waiting in anticipation of the post that suggests auctioning off the poor on Ebay...

7. Andeavor macrumors 6502

Why not? Reps and Dems have suggested more idiotic ways to deal with citizenship - legal or not.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Like what?

Deporting all the illegal immigrants is more
    sensible than your argument as at least there is somewhere to send them.

9. Andeavor macrumors 6502

You can always send them back to Europe with a note saying "You owe us".

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Why the hell would Europe take them? They have no citizenship in any European country.

11. TPadden macrumors 6502a

Yeah sure, they're all helpless citizens of "Greater West Hollywood" :rolleyes:.

Ever been to southern California? Great weather, really nice winters (and summers), generally very generous citizens. I once worked at St Vincent's de Pauls in San Diego. Of the thousands of helpless customers served there, my guess is greater than 90% were previous citizens of other states. They didn't arrive in Southern California until well AFTER they became "helpless citizens" elsewhere.

There is some truth to Field of Dreams: "If you build it, he will come".

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Definitely sounds like there is truth to that.

13. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

George Bush and racists. :)

14. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

You're a few presidents late, I'm pretty sure it was Reagan who started closing down the mental hospitals and throwing those people out on the streets...

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Make it illegal to buy alcohol without an ID with a current address.

Hoarded will move to the next city over within days.

16. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

And when the next city does the same thing?

17. TPadden, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013

TPadden macrumors 6502a

You're missing the point of this whole puff piece: it's a flame troll and you're feeding it.

There is NO GOOD REASON not to have reasonable restrictions on charity; the real question is: is this restriction reasonable?

My experience is in southern California, with an abundance of charitable organizations delivering goods and services, including church, community, and governmental, it is entirely reasonable for a community to restrict distribution from "public places" like street corners.

18. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

the solution is soilent green. then use that to feed the homeless. Crap I just made the new goal of the GOP public.

19. TPadden macrumors 6502a

I deserved that for trying to have a reasonable discussion here ..... :D

20. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

I just could not resist it. it is a tough situation for sure.

21. jnpy!$4g3cwk thread starter macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

See "A Modest Proposal" by Jonathan Swift.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Modest_Proposal

Other states have been "dumping" for decades. Lawsuits go back decades. Oddly, it is still going on:

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/08/27/5683406/us-probe-turns-up-more-homeless.html

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/09/10/5723995/san-francisco-files-class-action.html

22. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

They could just ban giving out food in residential zones.

Or designate an area of public property, like a corner of a park, for feeding the homeless

I don't see why it has to be all or nothing.

23. TPadden macrumors 6502a

Where do you read it's all or nothing. They already have plenty of places designated; enough that alley, street, or park delivery isn't needed. In San Diego we handed out a list with maps, where within walking distance you could get a meal 3 times a day, a shelter to sleep, twice a week hot shower 's and clean change of clothes, free medical and dental care, free child schooling and care, even set up employment interviews ........

A simple search of West Hollywood has pretty much the same available:

"Welcome to our Hollywood, California Homeless Shelters and Services for the needy page. Below are all of the homeless shelters and services for the needy that provide help to those in need for Hollywood, CA and surrounding cities. We also provide other homeless resources such as transitional resources for the homeless. Homeless clinic and treatment center resources are also provided on the right navigational bar. Many shelters also provide services such as alcohol and drug rehab treatment along with clinics."

http://www.homelessshelterdirectory.org/cgi-bin/id/city.cgi?city=Hollywood&state=CA

Hungry in West Hollywood?:

http://www.homelessshelterdirectory.org/cgi-bin/id/cityfoodbanks.cgi?city=West Hollywood&state=CA

24. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Sorry...this is PRSI.

Reasonable discussions are a rule violation.

:rolleyes:

25. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

I am sure no one wants to hear my solution....

----------

I can see the signs now:
    "Designated feeding zone."

With a homeless stick figure on the sign.