As it's tax season...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dogslobber, Apr 15, 2017.

1. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

2. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I'm pretty sure most immigrants aren't sending money to the government voluntarily. We also have a process for becoming a legal citizen. We also have laws regarding illegal aliens.

These people break the law everyday they are here. Send them home.

I want no immigration for 10 years. None.

3. Zenithal Suspended

Vox aside, my take from this article after skimming is there's Mexican immigrants who are here illegally per federal law language but will choose to abide by the remaining laws and pay taxes, and then there are some who stay here, don't pay taxes and commit actual crimes, apart from this crime. Kind of like every other culture and or race in the US...

Oh, goodness gracious, our resident philosopher is back.

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Then how about you start helping out by going back to wherever your parents or grandparents, or however far back your family came here were from.

5. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

Ohhhhhhh, the o'l sins of my father card. SO logical... Like, totally.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

This country is great because of immigrants. We are protected from enemies by oceans, have a large enough area that drought in one area doesn't wipe out the country, so we have a greater potential for stability. That has meant that when the rest of the world gets unstable people come here. Which has given us the best of the rest of the world, and allowed a mixing of ideas through having people from all over the world meet each other which can foster innovation more than if everyone stays home. If the US hadn't accepted immigrants in the past we would have missed out on many of our greatest minds coming here or being born here. So why would we, the children of immigrants want to both deny other people the same rights that our ancestors had as well as deny ourselves the benefits of getting the best and brightest that the world has to offer?

7. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

Woh, you wrote a whole lot about how immigrants have made our country great, by coming here LEGALY. NOBODY has a problem with that. This is about ILLEGAL immigrants.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'm pretty sure immigrants would qualify for a lot of benefits if they were legal...

9. niploteksi macrumors regular

10. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

This country is great because of GOOD immigrants. Someone isn't good simply because they came here. This country isn't made great by immigrants who come here and just become a drain on society.

Back in the day when people were immigrating by the boatload there was no welfare and food stamps the minute you got off the boat. You worked or you starved.

Comparing today's immigrant to those of 100-200 years ago doesn't work. It wasn't easy to immigrate back then. You had to make it or break it. Today it's much easier.

11. niploteksi macrumors regular

Yes, and those that didn't emigrate to the great new land of opportunity, where you could import free labor by the boatload, just stayed behind to coast on the social welfare of that time.

I bet those institutions of social welfare that were in place back then are the reason why America is so far behind these days.

12. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

13. niploteksi macrumors regular

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Oh boo freaking hoo. I couldn't care less about the obstacles they face trying to file their taxes. Like @ibookg409, I don't think many try to.

15. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Up until relitively recently (about 100 years ago) there was no real distinction.

16. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Seriously? My Scottish side of the family came to the US in the 1850's - something about avoiding imprisonment for rustling cattle. *cough* My German and Czech sides of the family came to the US under similar circumstances - fleeing the law. Both sides of my family made valuable contributions to the US, but I am sure at the time they weren't considered the 'right sort'. In any case, I bet the amount of tax money spent on undocumented aliens in the US is dwarfed by the size of tax breaks and subsidies given to the super-rich and corporations.

Also, as somebody who has been forced to move countries (ironically as a US citizen due to a US immigration law that forced my wife to leave), moving countries is never easy.