As it's tax season...

ibookg409

Suspended
Apr 20, 2016
Portsmouth, NH
I'm pretty sure most immigrants aren't sending money to the government voluntarily. We also have a process for becoming a legal citizen. We also have laws regarding illegal aliens.

These people break the law everyday they are here. Send them home.

I want no immigration for 10 years. None.

Reactions: tgara

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
Vox aside, my take from this article after skimming is there's Mexican immigrants who are here illegally per federal law language but will choose to abide by the remaining laws and pay taxes, and then there are some who stay here, don't pay taxes and commit actual crimes, apart from this crime. Kind of like every other culture and or race in the US...

Oh, goodness gracious, our resident philosopher is back.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Ohhhhhhh, the o'l sins of my father card. SO logical... Like, totally.
This country is great because of immigrants. We are protected from enemies by oceans, have a large enough area that drought in one area doesn't wipe out the country, so we have a greater potential for stability. That has meant that when the rest of the world gets unstable people come here. Which has given us the best of the rest of the world, and allowed a mixing of ideas through having people from all over the world meet each other which can foster innovation more than if everyone stays home. If the US hadn't accepted immigrants in the past we would have missed out on many of our greatest minds coming here or being born here. So why would we, the children of immigrants want to both deny other people the same rights that our ancestors had as well as deny ourselves the benefits of getting the best and brightest that the world has to offer?

BoneDaddy

Suspended
Jan 8, 2015
Texas
This country is great because of immigrants. We are protected from enemies by oceans, have a large enough area that drought in one area doesn't wipe out the country, so we have a greater potential for stability. That has meant that when the rest of the world gets unstable people come here. Which has given us the best of the rest of the world, and allowed a mixing of ideas through having people from all over the world meet each other which can foster innovation more than if everyone stays home. If the US hadn't accepted immigrants in the past we would have missed out on many of our greatest minds coming here or being born here. So why would we, the children of immigrants want to both deny other people the same rights that our ancestors had as well as deny ourselves the benefits of getting the best and brightest that the world has to offer?
Woh, you wrote a whole lot about how immigrants have made our country great, by coming here LEGALY. NOBODY has a problem with that. This is about ILLEGAL immigrants.

ibookg409

Suspended
Apr 20, 2016
Portsmouth, NH
This country is great because of GOOD immigrants. Someone isn't good simply because they came here. This country isn't made great by immigrants who come here and just become a drain on society.

Back in the day when people were immigrating by the boatload there was no welfare and food stamps the minute you got off the boat. You worked or you starved.

Comparing today's immigrant to those of 100-200 years ago doesn't work. It wasn't easy to immigrate back then. You had to make it or break it. Today it's much easier.

Reactions: BoneDaddy and tgara

niploteksi

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2016
This country is great because of GOOD immigrants. Someone isn't good simply because they came here. This country isn't made great by immigrants who come here and just become a drain on society.

Back in the day when people were immigrating by the boatload there was no welfare and food stamps the minute you got off the boat. You worked or you starved.

Comparing today's immigrant to those of 100-200 years ago doesn't work. It wasn't easy to immigrate back then. You had to make it or break it. Today it's much easier.
Yes, and those that didn't emigrate to the great new land of opportunity, where you could import free labor by the boatload, just stayed behind to coast on the social welfare of that time.

I bet those institutions of social welfare that were in place back then are the reason why America is so far behind these days.

ibookg409

Suspended
Apr 20, 2016
Portsmouth, NH
Yes, and those that didn't emigrate to the great new land of opportunity, where you could import free labor by the boatload, just stayed behind to coast on the social welfare of that time.

I bet those institutions of social welfare that were in place back then are the reason why America is so far behind these days.

VulchR

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland

Seriously? My Scottish side of the family came to the US in the 1850's - something about avoiding imprisonment for rustling cattle. *cough* My German and Czech sides of the family came to the US under similar circumstances - fleeing the law. Both sides of my family made valuable contributions to the US, but I am sure at the time they weren't considered the 'right sort'. In any case, I bet the amount of tax money spent on undocumented aliens in the US is dwarfed by the size of tax breaks and subsidies given to the super-rich and corporations.

Also, as somebody who has been forced to move countries (ironically as a US citizen due to a US immigration law that forced my wife to leave), moving countries is never easy.