As of 10/19, SPRINT speeds are improving (slightly.)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by swester, Oct 19, 2011.

1. swester macrumors regular

Before today, I couldn't get a download speed test with Sprint to exceed 100 kbps (I'm serious). I was doubting whether or not to return the phone, but I really don't want to go through the hassle of being phone-less for 2+ weeks while another provider gets 16GB iPhones back in stock.

Last night at around 1:00 a.m., I pulled in my first 1+ mbps speed test. Now, at around noon today, I am registering .53 mbps with a ping of 64 ms. Considering I wasn't able to achieve anything below a ping of 300-400ms or above about 10 kbps yesterday, I consider this a step in the right direction...

Note: This is in the DC/MD/VA area.

2. mattwallace24 macrumors regular

My concern would be that Sprint claims they do NOT have a network issue.

This would infer that either the slow speeds are simply a result of coverage (i.e. you would testing in an area of poor reception), are the norm for their network, or their network was overtaxed by high initial iPhone usage.

I personally would classify network congestion as a network issue, but that aside, what is going to happen as Sprint adds MILLIONS of additional iPhone users to their network.

Count last week as Day 1. Are they really going to double, triple, 10x, etc their network over the next couple years? Their capital expenditures don't indicate this is possible.

Hopefully it was a network issue, but would be nice if Sprint would just live up to it if that was the case.

3. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

That's because most everyone that bought a Sprint iPhone has returned them...:eek:

4. swester thread starter macrumors regular

Fine by me! I'm much happier paying about $50/mo less for a family plan + employee referral discount on Sprint. I can deal with slower speeds, as long as they are functional.

5. Sixtyin3 macrumors member

I have an S2 on Sprint but I speed test the 3G speeds all the time and they have gone up lately.

Hell even my 4G speeds went up. I'm seeing between .8-1mbps on 3G versus the .1-.3 mbps I was seeing a week ago.

Just for the sake of conversation, my 4G speeds have gone from 2-4mbps to 12-14mbps where I live (Delaware).

6. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

I know I wish I never went to att just couldn't wait. Now I have 2 lines… I mostly use wifi everywhere I go so I'd be happy too.

7. docgerrard macrumors 6502

in my experience they are the same... maybe even a bit worse