"As of today, Google Maps is going offline!"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by walie, Jun 6, 2012.

1. walie, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2012

walie macrumors 6502a

Carry on Apple fans.

----------

A backpack streetview capture setup is unveiled. Streetview is going offroad!

----------

Finally, 3D is introduced, coming to both Android and iOS initially

2. MotionxxUSxx macrumors 6502

Wow. I hear it is a ten mile radius only. Not very useful if you ask me.

3. Enectic macrumors member

That's only on the experimental Google Maps Lab release that's been out for a while now and you're limited to only 10 areas. From the looks of what was just announced this official update allows you to download entire states if not the entire world.

4. Klatti macrumors member

I couldn´t stop laughing when they took an iPad to show their 3D Maps

well done, google :D

5. emacna1 macrumors regular

What is funny about that?

6. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

He's laughing because they used an iPad instead of an Android tablet.

7. emacna1 macrumors regular

I'm still not sure what is funny about that. Google Maps is available for both Android and iOS, and has been for quite some time.

8. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Probably because it slows to a crawl on their Tegra 2 powered Xoom's they had on stage. :(

9. burnside macrumors 6502

It sounds more like "hey iPad users, don't worry, you can still use these great, new features too."

10. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    no. That could easily have been said by saying "hey iPad users, don't worry, you can still use these great, new features too"

The fact that Google felt more comfortable and confident showing their new maps features on an iPad instead of any number of android tablet really speaks volumes... any way you cut it.

What I've seen from Google so far today doesn't really impress me too much. I'll have to see more of the 3D imagery and utility before I can really say much more.

The offline maps thing I think is the biggest deal out of todays announcement and that, to me, doesn't really feel like some huge technological feat because there are tons of apps that already store local content. It might be much more difficult than I'm imagining but it feels like google just said "Ok fine, we will let you download the maps permanently instead of clearing the data every time you go offline"

11. burnside macrumors 6502

So Google builds their own OS, own mapping software, but in the end, their mapping software works better on a non-native system? They are just proving a point, that they built this not only for Android devices, but also for iOS.

If you think it runs poorer on Android tablets, then Google is in BIG trouble buddy.

12. DroidConvert macrumors regular

Because Apple has nerfed the iOS version of Google Maps by removing navigation and yet they still can't find a piece of Android hardware good enough to show off their latest work.

If you don't find the humor in that then there is something wrong.

13. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Most apps do tend to work better on the iPad than android tablets. And I'm not sure that google would be in such BIG trouble anyway.

Google's point is to push maps out to as many people as possible. iPad is where all the people are. Android tablets are kind of failing. I wouldn't be surprised if Google started pushing their services on iPads primarily compared to android tablets. (every other dev does it)

14. burnside macrumors 6502

That's why they first demo'd their maps on an Android smartphone, then an Android tablet, then finally on an iPad. Had nothing to do with hardware, but more about marketing.

----------

I agree that they want to push maps to as many people as possible which is exactly why their final demo included an iPad.

When you say most apps tend to work better on an iPad, are you including Google native apps in that statement?

15. Cheap Laptops macrumors newbie

Ohh, this sounds exciting! I can't wait :D

10 mile radius sucks, but like all Google products no doubt they will increase this in time.

16. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

They demo'd the 3D maps on an android tablets first?? From what I read on the Engadget liveblog (and a few other articles from other sites I have read since) it seemed to imply that it was only demo'd on an iPad. If they did both then I have no issue with it.

Not necessarily. I have to admit I've spent very little time on an android tablet (and it was a while ago), so I'm mostly going off what I've heard from tech sites, friends, and yes MacRumors forum members. And this is both phones and tablets.

Edit: I'm also very disappointed that these new 3D maps are only in their "Google Earth" app. I've never really understood the purpose of using that app. It's fun to oooooh and aaaahhh at for a couple minutes, but then I've never opened it again and then finally deleted it.

17. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

They could have used my Galaxy S2 or Tab. Never had any issues with either and they are both smooth as butter. It has always been nice that Maps can auto switch into Navigation mode and automatically switch to street view when you get close to your destination.

Looks to me like they were trying to show the updates on iOS, since Google Maps on Apple products has always been severly limited compared to Android based mobile devices.

But for those of you that want to believe that Google had to show maps on the ipad to somehow make yourselves feel better, thats cool. :rolleyes:

18. burnside macrumors 6502

LOL, feels like that, doesn't it.

19. walie thread starter macrumors 6502a

it could possibly be because the iOS version of google earth is further along in development compared to the android one. The iOS version of the updated Google+ app was available for the android version.

20. cynics macrumors G3

All the google stuff runs smooth as glass on my Xoom LTE with ICS including earth with 3D view.

21. DroidConvert macrumors regular

WOW! You guys are a little over-sensitive about this, aren't you? We're all joking around and you get all serious. Take a chill and relax, it's all in fun. SHEESH!!

I love Google Maps and I do miss the free navigation for the times when my Sync navigation can't find my destination.

22. macbookflasher macrumors member

macbookflasher

"As of today, Google Maps is going offline!"

It will work for iphone 3g, I tried alot but never works whats the problem anyone knows?

23. b24pgg macrumors 65816

Then you simply don't get it.

Google has always been about market penetration, not exclusivity.

24. DroidConvert macrumors regular

Is that why they took Navigation away from iOS? My understanding, and I could be wrong, is that they wanted Android to have something that iOS did not. Isn't that being exclusive?